Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your thoughts on Mega Millions Matrix Change?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Think.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Romancandle's avatar - moon
Upacreek
United States
Member #136306
December 8, 2012
428 Posts
Posted: August 3, 2013, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Seems like some folks are pretty steamed with the upcoming matrix change for Mega Millions.  I think Mega Millions needed some sort of face lift... maybe not a matrix change... but something... 

What would you do if you were the boss of MM?

-RC

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #35086
    March 12, 2006
    10374 Posts
    Posted: August 3, 2013, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Seems like some folks are pretty steamed with the upcoming matrix change for Mega Millions.  I think Mega Millions needed some sort of face lift... maybe not a matrix change... but something... 

Mad

Run ............ and    Hide         Sulk Off

Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19830 Posts
      Posted: August 3, 2013, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

possible combos of 5/75 + 1/15 numbers = 258890850
      MATCH  ODDS           WINNING COMBOS      PRIZE
      5/5+B 1 : 258890850     1               $15000000
      5/5+0 1 : 18492204      14               $1000000
      4/5+B 1 : 739688        350                 $5000
      4/5+0 1 : 52835         4900                 $500
      3/5+B 1 : 10720         24150                 $50
      3/5+0 1 : 766           338100                 $5
      2/5+B 1 : 473           547400                 $5
      1/5+B 1 : 56            4584475                $2
      0/5+B 1 : 21            12103014               $1

The game is not for those players looking at the odds of winning a jackpot alone.

The overall odds are great for those players who would just like to win their dollar back one in a while.

For those players like waiting for jackpots to reach $300M+, the chances are better that it will happen.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

I cannot see any positive side to the new matrix change.

If you match 4 of 5 + Mega ball you win $5,000 and the odds of doing that are 1:739,688

If I hit pick 4 straight I stand to win $5,000 and the odds of doing that are 1:10,000.

If I match 5 of 5 in the local Mass Cash (5/35) I stand to win $100,000 and the odds for that is 1:324,632

Unless they start selling MM tickets at 50¢ I don't see players motivated to play. I could be wrong.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: August 3, 2013, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

If I were the boss...they'd be too busy wondering why I would be the only one winning the really big jackpots LOL

United States
            Member #144999
            July 24, 2013
            40 Posts
            Posted: August 3, 2013, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I would leave it as is and cut back Bash the amount of Mega Balls

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: August 3, 2013, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Simply start the jackpot at $30 mil. People can live with change if they see that it's worth it,  otherwise forget it. We have a State lottery that starts at $7 mil, having a Multi State lottery starting at $12 or $15 mil as they now propose, is ridiculous- IMO.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: August 3, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

The post change version of the Megaplier is pointless.  It should be split into a "Bigaplier"  and a "Smallaplier" with the Bigaplier only for Second prize  and the Smallaplier with a high fixed third prize with the applier applying to the fourth prize on down.

As it stands now I don't know why anyone would want the post change Megaplier.  Also they are making a statement that the game is not worth playing until the jackpot is way high.

It could be that, after the change, it may take up to 11 weeks for the jackpot to get big enough to play.  That's ok, there are plenty of other games to play until then.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                  Los Angeles, California
                  United States
                  Member #103813
                  January 5, 2011
                  1530 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Let's face it, Mega Millions was getting its butt kicked by Powerball. They had to change something to boost sales. I'm at least glad they didn't just copy what PB did and instead tried something new.

The way to boost sales in multi-state lotto games is to have huge jackpots.
                  The way to have huge jackpots is to have it rollover a lot.
                  The way to have it rollover a lot is to only have a small percentage chance of the jackpot being hit each draw during the normal non-frenzy stage of the run.

Normally, MM has about a 10% chance of being hit for lower amount draws. PB is about 8% with the ticket price doubled each $1 buys you half as many chances, that was their solution. The new MM will probably be around 6% chance of being hit for early draws with the new higher odds, meaning it is much more likely to rollover compared to now.

There is expected to be fewer jackpots won per year, but they will be larger amounts, and could break a new record. At least that's what the MM bean counters are hoping for.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I cannot see any positive side to the new matrix change.

If you match 4 of 5 + Mega ball you win $5,000 and the odds of doing that are 1:739,688

If I hit pick 4 straight I stand to win $5,000 and the odds of doing that are 1:10,000.

If I match 5 of 5 in the local Mass Cash (5/35) I stand to win $100,000 and the odds for that is 1:324,632

Unless they start selling MM tickets at 50¢ I don't see players motivated to play. I could be wrong.

Like wise Ohio has Classic Lotto a 6/49 game with odds of 1:14M to win its jackpot which is now at $42M+ but the overall odds of winning anything are 1:54. 

Players spending a dollar on MM are three times more likely to win it back than with Classic Lotto which means MM with a$100M+ jackpot is going to look more attractive to some.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2013, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

It's all jjtheprince's fault.

MM monitors this site and they saw all his posts saying it was too easy to win.

So they're making it virtually impossible to win now.

Thanks a lot, jj!   Mad    Hit With Stick 

Cupcake10's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
                        Member #91718
                        May 23, 2010
                        690 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2013, 12:03 am - IP Logged

Just don't play it to prove your point. They are not making the game for more wins it's for more money on the other side. I think we shouldn't play a penny on the game.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                          Republic of Texas
                          United States
                          Member #57557
                          January 9, 2008
                          1095 Posts
                          Posted: August 4, 2013, 8:12 am - IP Logged

Just don't play it to prove your point. They are not making the game for more wins it's for more money on the other side. I think we shouldn't play a penny on the game.

That would be my current thought. 

My first thought is I'm glad they kept it at $1. My second thought is they should have raised the lower tier winners, except for the 0+1 which is fair.

I'm not happy with it, but I'm sure I'll still play on a lesser scale. My state lotto changed also, and now starts at $3 and only increases $100k each draw, and I'm even less happy about that.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                            Member #142777
                            May 18, 2013
                            263 Posts
                            Posted: August 4, 2013, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Yea right!  When the "yahoo's" see record breaking jackpots on the 6pm news &  interstate billboards they will surely take your advice into consideration.Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                              United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: August 4, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I've played for every draw since the game started,

this may force me in Into the camp that plays only after the JP reaches a certain level.

Ah but what Is that level ? something for me to think about.

Thinking of...

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.