Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you believe in lucky stores or lucky places in general?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2013, 9:07 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Do you believe in lucky places to play the lottery? On Saturday on the way back from dropping off my friend I stopped in a convenience store in her town.  Initally my intent was just to play the powerball but then I noticed all the copies of winning scratch tickets in their store. That store sold some good tickets. They had a 1 million winner on a scratch ticket, 100,000 Mass Cash winner and so many other good prizes. Well I thought I'd try my luck on some scratchers. I was excited at first when I got a 5x on a 50x 10 dollar scratch ticket but underneath it said 2.00 so only won 10 dollars. Hate when that happens. There has only been one other store I went to that also had a lot of good prizes sold but it wasn't lucky for me. I'm torn on my feelings about lucky stores. On one hand people have been winning there, on the other hand when will the time run out on that store? Also since this store sells so many scratch tickets and draw tickets maybe that's why they have had more winners? I told my friend to go to that store since it's in her town and maybe she will have some luck.  What do people think about lucky stores? Do you frequent those places? Do you think since it's all random it doesn't matter where you play?

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40611 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2013, 9:15 am - IP Logged

I don't know about lucky places, but there are evil places and I avoid them, if the air is thick and still, get out of there!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2013, 9:25 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in lucky stores because once your winning #'s are drawn rather you picked them or quick pick that store will be deemed a lucky store.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2013, 9:27 am - IP Logged

I don't know about lucky places, but there are evil places and I avoid them, if the air is thick and still, get out of there!

Amen sister I avoid those evil places too I don't want know one messing with my vibe especailly a clerk with an attitude.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2013, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Amen sister I avoid those evil places too I don't want know one messing with my vibe especailly a clerk with an attitude.

Sometimes I forget how nasty clerks can be because I always go to QT where they are trained to be nice. 

NOT EVIL           

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4111 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2013, 10:16 am - IP Logged

I don't believe in lucky stores because once your winning #'s are drawn rather you picked them or quick pick that store will be deemed a lucky store.

Agreed.  There is a store in San Leandro that has churned out 4/5 lottery winners in the past Decade.lts all got to do with the sales.People drive from afar to purchase tickets there hoping for some luck to rub off on them. Fool's Gold l say.lt's not the location,  its the numbers.

United States
              Member #142869
              May 19, 2013
              8 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

the stores are not lucky when people win there it is because a lot of people buy tickets there

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2013, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Agreed.  There is a store in San Leandro that has churned out 4/5 lottery winners in the past Decade.lts all got to do with the sales.People drive from afar to purchase tickets there hoping for some luck to rub off on them. Fool's Gold l say.lt's not the location,  its the numbers.

Yeah, no such thing as lucky stores.

We've got a store down here in the southland, Bluebird Liquor in Hawthorne, that news reporters always flock to and do stories when Jackpots get high. People come from miles around and stand in line for hours. SILLY! I walk to my corner store and there's no line, and buy my PB tickets, which are just as lucky or unlucky as any bought at any so called "lucky" store.

And those stores with a lot of scratch ticket winners plastered around the counter: they have a lot of winners because they sell a lot of tickets! A high traffic store or a place where scratch addicts hang out is bound to have a lot of winners. It's just numbers.

But I agree there are BAD places to play. Places that are unfriendly, has a feeling of criminal element, etc. Or places where the clerk is playing scratch tickets, or there are lots of regulars hanging around watching what you play, ready to pounce like a hawk. Stay away.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Roger the clerks with the attitudes, Dallas. I don't wanna deal with 'em, I don't want 'em touching my tickets. I don't wanna breathe the same air with 'em. 

I'll turn around and walk out when I see that look in their eye or sense the attitude.

I know a couple places with a couple clerks who are in perpetual bad moods and I avoid 'em.

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
                    Phoenix, AZ
                    United States
                    Member #136173
                    December 5, 2012
                    1034 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2013, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Sometimes I forget how nasty clerks can be because I always go to QT where they are trained to be nice. 

NOT EVIL           

QT's are awesome!  You get the instant "Hello" when you walk in the entrance and the "See you next time" after you make your purchase.  QP's from QT's, haha

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                      Bay Area - California
                      United States
                      Member #136477
                      December 12, 2012
                      4111 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2013, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

You pretty much said it all Jon. In fact those lottery counters with a blanket of  " winning scratcher tickets" are a put off to me.
                      In speaking about luck, l could not help thinking about a scene in the movie Poseidon with kurt Russell,  there is a classic scene where this D- head is going off at Kurt about him being a lousy this or that and not waiting his turn- he yells " you have to be lucky" next minute he hears rivets popping above his head and yells " hey- whose shooting at us?"- suddenly a huge piece of metal comes crashing through taking this lucky dude with it..
                      Best part of the movie adds a new meaning to " lucky SOB."

London
                        United Kingdom
                        Member #140684
                        March 24, 2013
                        566 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2013, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I mostly buy online when I do, I guess I use my lucky sofa with my lucky laptop....Jack-in-the-Box

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2013, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Roger the clerks with the attitudes, Dallas. I don't wanna deal with 'em, I don't want 'em touching my tickets. I don't wanna breathe the same air with 'em. 

I'll turn around and walk out when I see that look in their eye or sense the attitude.

I know a couple places with a couple clerks who are in perpetual bad moods and I avoid 'em.

In MA people tend to not have time for that "southern hospitality." It's all business. You say a quick hi and what you want and they give it to you then you pay and leave. I have got used to it and so when I visit the south and the store guy is talking to me about things, I find it a little strange lol.

Anyways, I don't believe there is anything such as a lucky store when it comes to draw games. On scratch tickets, where distribution of winning tickets by locality is known by the lottery commissions then yeah, there can be lucky stores.

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19831 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2013, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

Luck is where the winners are and they are every where.  It's easy to know where they've been but almost impossible to know where they'll be.  It's easier to try and predict the next winning combination and make the store where you buy your tickets the next lucky place.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4806 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2013, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I am going to be the odd ball and say I believe some stores are "lucky."  In statistics, things can cluster randomly in certain areas time and time again so I think a few rare stores may be part of a "cluster."

J'aime La France.