Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is the ideal amount of money you would like to win ?

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 3 years ago by noise-gate.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7340 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2013, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

I think I would be very very happy with $100,000...don't sound like a lot to some but would do me just fine! Yesterday my total win for a win online (496.00), p3 (80.00) & a scratch card (100.00) all came to $676.00 & I was estatic over that...so it really doesn't take much to make me happy!

BUT if I ever got one really really big like $100,000 or over I would probably faint!

Most players don't realize it, but multi-million jackpot games are basically all-or-nothing because not many players match 3 + 1 or 4 + 0. It's not easy to win $100,000 either, but it's more likely. With all the stories about multi-million dollar winners, we forget a win of a few hundred dollars can be exciting too.

United States
    Member #135804
    November 29, 2012
    331 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2013, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Hello, I'm new to this forum.  I'm just curious to know how much money people would be happy with it they ever won the jackpot.

I would like to win when it is under 200 million than when it goes over 300 and starts breaking records. Ideally around 170 million range. So if you take the lump sum, you get back around 60-70 mill after taxes. Give or take a few. More than enough to last me my entire life and not have to worry about money. Plus it only takes about a month for powerball to reach to 170 mill, and about two months with mega millions. A lot faster than having to wait for the jackpot to go into the triple hundreds. 

When the jackpot is really high, the more media frenzy you have to deal with. Everyone wants to find out who won. Your name and face will be plasterd all over TV and the internet. You probably will have to do interviews and what not. I don't want to be famous or draw too much attention to myself. And you more of a bigger target for scammers that comes out from every orifices, and people might try to kill you for your money like some past lotto winners. I woulnd't know what to do with two hundred million much less one hundred. Probaly give most of it away.

When the jackpot is not so high, you can probably slip under the radar with not much attention if you do win. 

I don't buy a lot of stuff or care for too much material things. I just want a couple of nice modest homes to live comfortably. No huge mansions. Just a home somewhere in the country side and a rustic cabin for a winter getaway. Couple of dream cars I've always wanted; a Maserati Gran cabrio sport and an Aston Martin Virage. And to to travel every year with my wife. And mabey start my own business to keep busy. The rest of the money will go towards helping out my family. Give to cahrities, animal shelters. Peole that are less fortunate. Invest some money. That's about it for me to live a fulfilled an contended life.

Come on...you want to be modest and just live comfortably? Who are you kidding saying you wouldn't want *that* much (and then set the ideal at $170 million...). Who needs that much to have a content life? At least be honest and say you're greedy. What if someone else wins and donates to the same charities just like you would, would it make you equally happy?

My ideal would be a billion dollars...completely arbitrary number that I made up. All for selfish reasons, including helping my own family versus yours or someone elses's and the non-profits that I favor versus your favored charities or someone else's favored charities

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #140684
      March 24, 2013
      566 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2013, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

I change my mind, 60M since the next JP is 60. Jack-in-the-Box

Hey the 1M raffle prize will do me.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
        Member #145267
        August 1, 2013
        1676 Posts
        Posted: August 15, 2013, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I would love to have about 8 million so I could move to rancho santa fe, Ca. and buy a home, two or three cars and retire.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
          New York
          United States
          Member #145706
          August 12, 2013
          108 Posts
          Posted: August 22, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Come on...you want to be modest and just live comfortably? Who are you kidding saying you wouldn't want *that* much (and then set the ideal at $170 million...). Who needs that much to have a content life? At least be honest and say you're greedy. What if someone else wins and donates to the same charities just like you would, would it make you equally happy?

My ideal would be a billion dollars...completely arbitrary number that I made up. All for selfish reasons, including helping my own family versus yours or someone elses's and the non-profits that I favor versus your favored charities or someone else's favored charities

Greedy ?  The governemt is greedy with the amount of tax they get everytime someone wins. They take almost half of your winnings. Plus you're forgetting that you wouldn't even get close to that amount even if you take the 30 year annutiy. So I would go for the lump sump which gives you about 60-70 million.

After all the calculations. Helping family memebrs who are struggling financially. Houses, poroperty taxes, yealry utillity bills. Rising economic cost. Donations, etc....and having some money secured for the future in case something happens.

I would say that's more than a fair amount to win.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
            New York
            United States
            Member #145706
            August 12, 2013
            108 Posts
            Posted: August 22, 2013, 1:17 pm - IP Logged

Welcome Greg2117 and Good Luck to youLep

Thanks.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              709 Posts
              Posted: August 23, 2013, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

With conservative inflation guesstimates and optimistic life expectancy guesstimates  $35,000,000 after taxes and expert help/opinion fees.

Otherwise I am shooting for $120,000-$180,000 pretax on JP games or $2,000,000 or more pre tax cash for instants and various and sundry second prizes on draw games.  Last year would have been different because it was before the tax changes.

Right now, however, after playing more than 30 years I'd like a ticket that I have to take to a claim center or to Lansing since I have yet to get one.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                Member #142777
                May 18, 2013
                263 Posts
                Posted: August 23, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Great comment Toronto from all the mush.  It's great to see a straight up post every now and then.  It was like Ron Paul in the debates.  He made people squirm with the truth!  CONGRATS!Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: August 23, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Great comment Toronto from all the mush.  It's great to see a straight up post every now and then.  It was like Ron Paul in the debates.  He made people squirm with the truth!  CONGRATS!Big Grin

I know, you don't have to tell me, that wasn't at all political.

You never post anything remotely political.

We should know because you keep telling us that.

Silly me for thinking it was political, I must be nuts. Crazy

No response necessary.

Have a nice day tinkerbelle.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                    Nova Scotia
                    Canada
                    Member #9934
                    December 27, 2004
                    891 Posts
                    Posted: August 23, 2013, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I want to win $100, 000 or more to move out of the neighbourhood @ do some travelling..

If I can't reach that now, I'll take $50,000.;

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                      u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19964 Posts
                      Posted: August 23, 2013, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Thanks.

Your welcomeSee Ya!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3090 Posts
                        Posted: August 23, 2013, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I would take the $60 million annuity for mega millions tonight or the $92 million annuity for powerball tomorrow.  More than enough for me to live off of and share with family members and spoil the nieces and nephews.-weshar75

US Flag

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                          Member #142777
                          May 18, 2013
                          263 Posts
                          Posted: August 23, 2013, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

I know, you don't have to tell me, that wasn't at all political.

You never post anything remotely political.

We should know because you keep telling us that.

Silly me for thinking it was political, I must be nuts. Crazy

No response necessary.

Have a nice day tinkerbelle.

Ridge makes political connotations out of everything!  If i say Anne Romney didn't eat off two saw horses & a piece of plywood in college is that a vote for Barack Obama? no.  If i say Ron Paul says some politically incorrect truths is that a vote for Romney or Obama? no.  If i say i saw Bill Clinton eating a hamburger is that a vote for beef? haha no.  I quess if i say the New York Giants QB broke his leg in practice you would accuse me of supporting the New York Jets right?  Try this free connotation instead sometime Ridge.  A Tennessee woman Ridge wants a date with but has been afraid to approach walks up to him at a gas station and says:  "Ridge, do you think i need new tires?".  Ridge: "I'd like to rotate your tires, baby!"Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #92330
                            June 5, 2010
                            887 Posts
                            Posted: August 23, 2013, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

If I could walk away with $2m-$3m after taking care of family members I'd be happy.

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2013, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

$135,297,492.00

$112,358,132.13Smash