Indiana woman has second major lottery win

Aug 15, 2013, 3:55 pm (80 comments)

Indiana Lottery

PRINCETON, Ind. — A Princeton, Indiana, woman is the latest to claim the Hoosier Lottery's Lucky Millionaire prize — her second major lottery win.

Connie Cottingham claimed her $1 million prize Aug. 9 after buying the winning scratch-off ticket at Chuckles Food Mart in Princeton. It was her second trip to Hoosier Lottery Headquarters: In 2008 she won $500,000 from a Dazzling Diamonds scratch-off she bought from Evansville Moto Mart in Evansville, Ind., WRTV-TV reported.

"I was shocked. I had to get my glasses out and take a second look, make sure I was seeing the right thing!" said Cottingham. "I sat there for a little bit thanking the good Lord above for doing an awesome thing again for me."

Cottingham, who works as bartender and part-time karaoke DJ, told lottery officials she bought her ticket on her way to work. Before cashing it in, though, she went in and finished her shift.

Cottingham said even after her second win she has no plans to quit working, though she does have some ideas for her winnings.

"I'm going to help my daughter first thing and some close family members and close friends and take a trip," said Cottingham.

Cottingham is the tenth player to win $1 million playing Lucky Millionaire. She is the eighth player to claim an instant $1 million top prize on the game.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

10 News

Comments

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Way to go girl. Drink up, but don't drink it all up. Congrats.

Nikkicute's avatarNikkicute

Nice story and good for her!

Even after her first big win, she kept on playing.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation ConnieCheers

CLETU$

Way to go,Connie!BananaHurray!HyperPartyHyperHurray!BananaIt's Party time!

noise-gate

Wow Connie- what a way to celebrate. Don't spend it all in one place girl.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Congratulations lady! I am still waiting for one that will make me do a double-take.

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Yes ! It can happen more than once !

So after I win big I will continue to play.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Is that helpmewin?

From Indiana...

Awfully quiet...

Hmmm...

kapla

Quote: Originally posted by Nikkicute on Aug 15, 2013

Nice story and good for her!

Even after her first big win, she kept on playing.

Yea and she kept - WINNING!! 

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 15, 2013

Is that helpmewin?

From Indiana...

Awfully quiet...

Hmmm...

Hmmmm... your right haven't read/seen any post from her todayWink

Bumkillah

Smash

Ha if your not close fam/friend your out of luck ????

Is that helpmewin?

From Indiana...

Awfully quiet...

Hmmm...

If there's a big win In south Jersey I better maintain my 3.5 average posts per day lest I be suspect. Wink

FUPAYME

Cool

Lucky lady i cant even win on 2nd chance replay I been entering since 09 & I enter a lot I guess I am a 2x loser until 1 day I win

Win$500Quick's avatarWin$500Quick

Congrats to the lucky winner. You gotta stay in it, to win it twice. Good Job.Thumbs Up

Romancandle's avatarRomancandle

Congrats!  Not too shabby... two wins in less than 5yrs... there is hope for the rest of usSmile

Anybody see my ship?  It was supposed to come in LOL

Quote: Originally posted by Romancandle on Aug 15, 2013

Congrats!  Not too shabby... two wins in less than 5yrs... there is hope for the rest of usSmile

Naw, to busy lookin fer mine,

hope I'm not at the airport, bus, or train station when It comes In.  Wink

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Congratulations, Connie Cottingham, on your pre-taxed $1.5M scratch-off tickets lottery wins -- I hope that this is a lump-sum total; rather than the value of annuities paid annually over a three decades.

Cool

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by Romancandle on Aug 15, 2013

Does it look like a Dinghy. I think i saw it. 

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin
LUCKY MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000,000.00 8/9/2013
$100 MIL CASH EXTRAVAGA CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 4/26/2013

Congrats Connie Cottingham spend wisely Party

Is that helpmewin?

From Indiana...

Awfully quiet...

Hmmm...

No Nod Nice try

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on Aug 15, 2013

Hmmmm... your right haven't read/seen any post from her todayWink

LOL

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 16, 2013

No Nod Nice try

Oh well, at least the suspense is over...    Sad Wavey

redhot7's avatarredhot7

I wonder how many tickets she bought between her two winnings.

FUPAYME

Hurray!

Shoot I will continue to play to  till the day I die I am a lotto freak

FUPAYME

Smash

You know you can disable the adds without being golden lol

FUPAYME

Party

Here in box is full I guess ppl been hitting here up since they know its her that won

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 16, 2013

Oh well, at least the suspense is over...    Sad Wavey

just so you will know i don't buy many scratch offs i have in the past and i won $100.00 and $5.00 + a free ticket.

i haven't had much Luck with them No Nod

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

just so you will know i don't buy many scratch offs i have in the past and i won $100.00 and $5.00 + a free ticket.

i haven't had much Luck with them No Nod

I never buy them. They just don't seem that exciting to me.  Instant disappointment.

Quote: Originally posted by Pita Maha on Aug 16, 2013

I never buy them. They just don't seem that exciting to me.  Instant disappointment.

I Agree!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Instant disappointment is what make them exciting to some players, they don't like waiting for a drawing to find out they've wasted their money. Thumbs Up

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Aug 16, 2013

Instant disappointment is what make them exciting to some players, they don't like waiting for a drawing to find out they've wasted their money. Thumbs Up

Good one. Green laugh

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

To each their own but I like the time to dream between buying tickets and the draw.  I'm the patient type Smile

Ronnie316

To each their own but I like the time to dream between buying tickets and the draw.  I'm the patient type Smile

Some people buy scratchers and carry them around for a couple weeks before scratching them. You could try that. Yes Nod

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Aug 16, 2013

Some people buy scratchers and carry them around for a couple weeks before scratching them. You could try that. Yes Nod

maybe we can use some to start the fireplace with What?

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I Agree!  I like dreaming about buying a jackpot winning ticket even when I'm just thinking about playing.

Good one. Green laugh

"There's a sucker born every minute" LOL

I Agree!

Ronnie316

Winners visualize whirled peas. 

Winners visualize whirled peas. 

Sucker betNo Pity!

The name originates in that sucker bets are often created to lure inexperienced players into betting against large odds, blinded by the offer of "fast money".

Ronnie316 how many scratch off you win onClown

RJOh's avatarRJOh

That's only 525,600 new ones every year and it takes over 75,000,000 to win PB or MM.  No wonder it takes several drawings for them to be won.

Ronnie316

Ronnie316 how many scratch off you win onClown

They sell $300. packages here. A package of $20. scratchers has 15 tickets in it.

Ronnie316

That's only 525,600 new ones every year and it takes over 75,000,000 to win PB or MM.  No wonder it takes several drawings for them to be won.

Overall, thats a lot of "suckers"

hope to see you picture on here soon like her picture Hurray!

Ronnie316

Is that you helpmewin?

Ronnie316

Is that you  helpmewin?

Is that you  helpmewin?

No Nod I Think she crossed the line she is from KY Banana

Ronnie316

No Nod I Think she crossed the line she is from KY Banana

I been waiting for Thrifty to cross the line and buy one in NJ so he can win a lottery jackpot someday.

you will know IF i have a BIG WIN i will ASK Todd to announce it BIG LETTERS

so i can get some attention like Gloria MacKenzieParty

I been waiting for Thrifty to cross the line and buy one in NJ so he can win a lottery jackpot someday.

don't know if Thrifty has a car he may not like to buy gas No Nod

Ronnie316

don't know if Thrifty has a car he may not like to buy gas No Nod

Thrifty could cross D line on his bicycle.Yes Nod

Thrifty could cross D line on his bicycle.Yes Nod

maybe he has electric carCool

Ronnie316

maybe he has electric carCool

Its a bicycle wit a tiny motor be D back wheel. Wink

Its a bicycle wit a tiny motor be D back wheel. Wink

like a moped Green laugh

Ronnie316

like a moped Green laugh

No, home made.

Ronnie316

Jester Laugh

Ronnie316

Wit $6 million (after houses and cars) I tink I can generate a $15k per month check for myself.

tnlotto1's avatartnlotto1

Jester Laughlol

LUCKY MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000,000.00 8/9/2013 CHUCKLES FOOD MART #8
$100 MIL CASH EXTRAVAGA CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 4/26/2013 FASTBREAK #4
$100 MIL CASH EXTRAVAGA CONNIE COTTINGHAM HAUBSTADT GIBSON $1,000.00 11/29/2010 PILOT #447
$500,000 PAYDAY CONNIE COTTINGHAM HAUBSTADT GIBSON $1,000.00 4/5/2010 PILOT #447
INDIANA MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 5/26/2009 FASTBREAK #4
INDIANA MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM FORT BRANCH GIBSON $1,000.00 5/4/2009 FASTBREAK CONVENIENCE STORE
$500,000 RICHES CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 4/27/2009 CASEY'S #2438
HOT MILLIONS CONNIE COTTINGHAM HAUBSTADT GIBSON $1,000.00 3/2/2009 PILOT #447

OMG! i remember her Name now i think she follows the PERSON WHO DISTRIBUTES LOTTERY TICKETS TO STORES around Evil Looking

LUCKY MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000,000.00 8/9/2013 CHUCKLES FOOD MART #8
$100 MIL CASH EXTRAVAGA CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 4/26/2013 FASTBREAK #4
$100 MIL CASH EXTRAVAGA CONNIE COTTINGHAM HAUBSTADT GIBSON $1,000.00 11/29/2010 PILOT #447
$500,000 PAYDAY CONNIE COTTINGHAM HAUBSTADT GIBSON $1,000.00 4/5/2010 PILOT #447
INDIANA MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 5/26/2009 FASTBREAK #4
INDIANA MILLIONAIRE CONNIE COTTINGHAM FORT BRANCH GIBSON $1,000.00 5/4/2009 FASTBREAK CONVENIENCE STORE
$500,000 RICHES CONNIE COTTINGHAM PRINCETON GIBSON $1,000.00 4/27/2009 CASEY'S #2438

OMG! i remember her Name now i think she follows the PERSON WHO DISTRIBUTES LOTTERY TICKETS TO STORES around Evil Looking

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Are you serious?

How does she know when he's going around?

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 16, 2013

Are you serious?

How does she know when he's going around?

Green laughjust ask the store manager

example:(do you have any new lottery tickets in, if not when do you get them) she will say they will be here on Thursday.

this lady must know someone the lottery field Poke

by the way that's not all she has won i didn't pull every year up.

coincidence i think NOT No Nod

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

She's HOT!!!! I mean two wins in five years....

Get your minds out of the gutter! LOL

Anyway, Connie CALL ME!!!

call me

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Aug 16, 2013

She's HOT!!!! I mean two wins in five years....

Get your minds out of the gutter! LOL

Anyway, Connie CALL ME!!!

call me

OMG! you funny Green laugh

is there a shortage of woman in NJ or do you just like Cougars with alittle money

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

by the way that's not all she has won i didn't pull every year up.

coincidence i think NOT No Nod

There was a case in Indiana I believe a while back where somebody at the lottery or the printer told his friends where to buy the big winning ticket.

They got busted though.

I'm not saying that's what's going on in this case.

Maybe she just discovered a good way to better her odds by buying from new packs that still have all the winners in them.

And I congratulate her on that if that's the case.

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Aug 17, 2013

There was a case in Indiana I believe a while back where somebody at the lottery or the printer told his friends where to buy the big winning ticket.

They got busted though.

I'm not saying that's what's going on in this case.

Maybe she just discovered a good way to better her odds by buying from new packs that still have all the winners in them.

And I congratulate her on that if that's the case.

I Agree! 

there was a guy on that LOTTERY show from i think Massachusetts no matter what he did he kept winning, did you see that show.Smiley

rock_nc's avatarrock_nc

RALEIGH – Dan Royal, a carpenter from the small town of Forest City, is one of the biggest winners in state lottery history. After scratching off $750,000 playing “Jumbo Bucks” in February of 2012, this week Royal won the top prize on a “$5,000 a Week for Life!” ticket. The guaranteed value of the prize is $5.2 million.

Royal bought both of his lucky tickets at the same store. It was there on Friday morning that Alice Garland, executive director of the N.C. Education Lottery, presented Royal with a check to celebrate his second windfall.

“We are here today at the Little Cubbard in Rutherfordton because this is the store where a really lucky player has had really good luck – twice,” she said. “We appreciate all our players and retailers across the state who make amazing things like this possible.”

Royal, who just turned 60 in June, decided that this prize meant he could call it a career.

“I’m going to quit punching the clock and do what I want to do,” he said. “I feel great. This is what people dream about.”

Royal had the option to claim his prize as an annuity in $260,000 payments each year for the rest of his life. The prize is guaranteed to a winner or his estate for a minimum of 20 years. Royal chose instead to collect a one-time cash payment. After required state and federal withholdings on the $3.5 million lump sum, Royal’s prize was worth $2.4 million.

With the prize money he won last year, Royal bought two trucks and land. This time he is considering the purchase of an RV so he can travel across the country.

“I’m going to build a house in Rutherford County,” he added. “I may open a deer hunt camp in South Carolina.”

Not only did Royal share plans for his lottery winnings, he offered advice for other players who hear about his good luck.

“Play within your means,” Royal said. “If you don’t have it, don’t spend it.”

Since the lottery began through June 30, 2012, Rutherford County education programs received more than $16.3 million in lottery funds. By law, those funds pay for teachers’ salaries in grades K-3, school construction, prekindergarten programs for at-risk four-year-olds, college scholarships and financial aid based on need, and digital learning. The N.C. Education Lottery has raised more than $2.9 billion for these initiatives statewide.

Here is a man who won twice to, here in NC... what luck!

She must be one of those people that buy packs of scratch tickets.

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 17, 2013

Well, for this year's remaining income taxes (paid early next year) Connie can finally write off 100% of her carry-over from the past 5 years AND current year gambling losses then!

White Bounce

Quote: Originally posted by mypiemaster on Aug 17, 2013

yeah maybe but i find it odd that she hits all the different stores, the money we see is what she had to go get at the office hard to say the little prizes 500.00 and under fishy i say but then again look at Keith price in Ky i guess Lottery offices don't care.

but then on the other hand why did they investigate the guy in Colorado Tadeusz Krupa and his family have won $1,000 or more in Colorado's Cash 5 Jackpot on 21 different occasions, raking in a total of about $158,000 before taxes.

JoshUK

Connie, if you're reading this PM me some numbers for the EuroMillions this Tuesday. Dance

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Aug 18, 2013

Connie, if you're reading this PM me some numbers for the EuroMillions this Tuesday. Dance

LOL

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Aug 18, 2013

LOL

I Agree!

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

OMG! you funny Green laugh

is there a shortage of woman in NJ or do you just like Cougars with alittle money

Dear helpmewin, I like cougars with money and there is a shortage of women in NJ who will date me.

I'm now going on blind dates with actual blind people.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Aug 19, 2013

Dear helpmewin, I like cougars with money and there is a shortage of women in NJ who will date me.

I'm now going on blind dates with actual blind people.

Green laugh

Indiana Lottery office why don't you consider making Quick draw 2 times a day pleaseClown

Quote: Originally posted by JoshUK on Aug 18, 2013

What a clever way to hit on the "cougar with a little money". If you can't hit the lottery, you might as well hit on the one who hit the lottery. Cool

jamella724

I wouldn't be surprise if she will win again in the third time. It's nice that she values her work even though she has enough money to start other things and quit her job.  I wonder what her strategies are? Well for a start she continue playing even though she already won. I consistently play, I guess I need to work on the numbers that I am betting.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story