Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much money per week would you consider Set for Life?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
California
United States
Member #112364
June 17, 2011
661 Posts
Posted: August 18, 2013, 5:53 am - IP Logged

The California Set for Life advertise their jackpot from $500 to $5,000 per week for 25 years.

How much money per week would you consider Set for Life? Make your own number.

For the sake of argument, just assume you would receive money per week.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3300 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2013, 6:03 am - IP Logged

5k  a week is sounding pretty ok, 500 a week is  still looking  like  hard choices.  i would be very  happy for 5k a week.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2013, 7:19 am - IP Logged

The California Set for Life advertise their jackpot from $500 to $5,000 per week for 25 years.

We've got that scratch-off here in NC too...5,000 a week for life 2,500 a week for life 1,000 a week for life and $500 a week for life....I'd love to win the 5,000 but there's only one left in that top prize....I also think it would be super cool to have a $20 scratch-off that was 10,000 a week for life...now I'd seriously love to win that one LOL

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2013, 8:53 am - IP Logged

Given the choice of $500 to $5,000 a week for life, which option do you think 99.9% of the people would choose? ahahaha only a monk would choose $500 for he has to choose hard life of self denial and sacrifice and abstinence. The rest of us live by the YOLO philosophy. At least I do Thumbs UpBig Grin Cheers

That money's gone fo ever

London
          United Kingdom
          Member #140684
          March 24, 2013
          566 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2013, 11:02 am - IP Logged

5000 would be nice. ;D

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Romancandle's avatar - moon
            Upacreek
            United States
            Member #136306
            December 8, 2012
            428 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

Illinois has similar games too... although they recently switched from CASH FOR LIFE to the GOOD LIFE (a 20 year annuity or lump sum) which changed that whole "cash for life" concept in a big way IMO... liked the original concept better.

Seems to me, 5K and up are the only ones that would qualify as "set for life" IMO.

Anything less than that, is good for the early part of the annuity, but as time wears on, your purchasing power starts to drop quickly at the lower JP prize tiers.

$500 and $1000 is nothing to sneeze at, but if your young... you won't necessarily be "set for life" per se.

-RC

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
              Bay Area - California
              United States
              Member #136477
              December 12, 2012
              4108 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2013, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

It all looks good with the $5000 a week deal- but factor in Uncle Sam and you clear a little over $12, 000 a month.Are you set for life , maybe maybe not.

London
                United Kingdom
                Member #140684
                March 24, 2013
                566 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2013, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

We don't have many win for life tickets in the UK, I think there is only one or two not sure as I don't play them but it's tax free here so I guess it would be possible to retire if you won.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                  JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                  Member #141034
                  April 2, 2013
                  1408 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

The biggest problem with jackpot winners, in the good ol' US of A, is that they get the living daylights, taxed out of them upfront.  To be set, you will need at least $25000.00 per week, unless you consider an extra hamburger a luxury item.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7313 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2013, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Given the choice of $500 to $5,000 a week for life, which option do you think 99.9% of the people would choose? ahahaha only a monk would choose $500 for he has to choose hard life of self denial and sacrifice and abstinence. The rest of us live by the YOLO philosophy. At least I do Thumbs UpBig Grin Cheers

30 years ago when a decent wage was $10 an hour and $500 a week looked like a person would be set for life. Today if you make $500 a week you're close to poverty levels. 30 years from now, who knows what $5000 a week will be worth?

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                      Gurnee, Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #49731
                      February 12, 2007
                      917 Posts
                      Posted: August 18, 2013, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Well, first you have to define what "set for life" means for you. I think one would be hard pressed to say they are set for life on $500 a week in California! Set for life means I never have to work for a living. So 5k per week would qualify but 10k per week would be even better. 20k per week would be outstanding, but I cannot see myself dropping $20 on a scratch off. If I spend $20 on a scratch off, I would be pissed if I won Nothing. I would only play if such game at least offered $10 as a minimum prize even on loser tickets. I would then be able to play $100 in my quest to hit the jackpot...otherwise, that Benjamin would only net me 5 tickets if all I was buying were no prize losers.

One other thing I take issue with is it says set for life, but put time limit of 25 years on payout period. So a 20 year old winner would not be set for life.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                        Gurnee, Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #49731
                        February 12, 2007
                        917 Posts
                        Posted: August 18, 2013, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

If I were to get elected to Congress, I would push for simplifying the tax code, a flat tax and no tax on income or lottery winnings. All tax would be on business and retail goods. Bye bye IRS. Since there would be no income taxes, there would be no need for retirement account limits or even designation of retirement accounts per se, though I would allow them to continue to exist in the event we gehappy ax and spend happy president and congress.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: August 18, 2013, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

If I were to get elected to Congress, I would push for simplifying the tax code, a flat tax and no tax on income or lottery winnings. All tax would be on business and retail goods. Bye bye IRS. Since there would be no income taxes, there would be no need for retirement account limits or even designation of retirement accounts per se, though I would allow them to continue to exist in the event we gehappy ax and spend happy president and congress.

Congress has debated your " push for simplifying the tax code"- Forbes when running for President tried that l believe and it got no traction. Heck there is even word of Congress trying to tax the Internet.Your idea is DOA at present.

As for the guy who won in 2008 hitting the JP- they all have hit the JP going back as far as the eye can see.

All make promises that they do not keep.Take Nixon..

" Nixon did not understand the students’ protests against his Vietnam War. He saw himself as a man wanting to end the war, so to him there was nothing to disagree about. Nixon indeed conducted all his Vietnam politics in order the end the war, but in order to end the war once the United States were in a position to end it “honorably”. In other words, to end the war, he carried it further and intensified it."

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: August 18, 2013, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Congress has debated your " push for simplifying the tax code"- Forbes when running for President tried that l believe and it got no traction. Heck there is even word of Congress trying to tax the Internet.Your idea is DOA at present.

As for the guy who won in 2008 hitting the JP- they all have hit the JP going back as far as the eye can see.

All make promises that they do not keep.Take Nixon..

" Nixon did not understand the students’ protests against his Vietnam War. He saw himself as a man wanting to end the war, so to him there was nothing to disagree about. Nixon indeed conducted all his Vietnam politics in order the end the war, but in order to end the war once the United States were in a position to end it “honorably”. In other words, to end the war, he carried it further and intensified it."

Nixon should have bombed the dikes.

And I'm not talking about Democrat wimmins.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142777
                              May 18, 2013
                              263 Posts
                              Posted: August 18, 2013, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

Many are being cafeful with IRA's.  Savers think they are dodging taxes getting a free bee.  The congress could change the laws to tax ira's more heavily in the near future when you take it out.  Worse they could confiscate it to spread the wealth around and give you worthless bonds.  Politicians get desperate to stay in power when the money runs out and can't pay the voters free checks.  Many are taking the early penalty to get it all out.  Who can say.

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!