Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much money per week would you consider Set for Life?

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: August 18, 2013, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Well, first you have to define what "set for life" means for you. I think one would be hard pressed to say they are set for life on $500 a week in California! Set for life means I never have to work for a living. So 5k per week would qualify but 10k per week would be even better. 20k per week would be outstanding, but I cannot see myself dropping $20 on a scratch off. If I spend $20 on a scratch off, I would be pissed if I won Nothing. I would only play if such game at least offered $10 as a minimum prize even on loser tickets. I would then be able to play $100 in my quest to hit the jackpot...otherwise, that Benjamin would only net me 5 tickets if all I was buying were no prize losers.

One other thing I take issue with is it says set for life, but put time limit of 25 years on payout period. So a 20 year old winner would not be set for life.

I dont know...the "set for life" term limit of 25 years could last alot of 20 yr old the rest of their life,I think it depends on the person....we all know Dave Edwards was set for life and he was no 20 year old...So it is not really how much you have....it is what you do with it and/or take care of it

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #103813
    January 5, 2011
    1530 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2013, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

There was a study a while back that said $75,000 per year was what a person need to be happy. That's at about the $1,500/week level. So with the Set for Life amounts $500, $1000, $2500 or $5000 per week, the small amounts $500 or $1000 probably won't cut it, maybe just a little "less stressed for life" if anything. The larger two $2500 and $5000 per week are probably what is needed to quit your day job. But that all depends on where you live and what your expenses and obligations are.

But with any of those amounts, let's be honest, it's not life changing like a hundred million, so why not keep your day job, and use the extra to build your wealth? Or if your day job sucks, you can find something you enjoy doing instead, even if it pays a penance.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8392 Posts
      Posted: August 18, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

There was a study a while back that said $75,000 per year was what a person need to be happy. That's at about the $1,500/week level. So with the Set for Life amounts $500, $1000, $2500 or $5000 per week, the small amounts $500 or $1000 probably won't cut it, maybe just a little "less stressed for life" if anything. The larger two $2500 and $5000 per week are probably what is needed to quit your day job. But that all depends on where you live and what your expenses and obligations are.

But with any of those amounts, let's be honest, it's not life changing like a hundred million, so why not keep your day job, and use the extra to build your wealth? Or if your day job sucks, you can find something you enjoy doing instead, even if it pays a penance.

I don't know who did that study... back in 2000 a married couple with 2 children needed 80 grand take home to have a great year. Since everything has doubled since 2000 then that figure would be 160 grand now.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2013, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

I don't know who did that study... back in 2000 a married couple with 2 children needed 80 grand take home to have a great year. Since everything has doubled since 2000 then that figure would be 160 grand now.

It's in the link. And I believe that was single income. Sure, you can have all kinds of circumstances. I bet Octomom would not be happy with just $75,000. And if all the middle class familes out there today with less that $160,000 take home are miserable and unhappy, well, that is up for debate.

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
          Phoenix, AZ
          United States
          Member #136173
          December 5, 2012
          1034 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2013, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

$5,000 a week is ample.  I'd be happy with that amount.

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
            Beautiful Florida
            United States
            Member #5709
            July 18, 2004
            20233 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

I'd go for the $ 5,000 a week..

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
              Oklahoma
              United States
              Member #82391
              November 12, 2009
              6305 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

$5,000 a week sounds good to me.....Banana

I Love Pink & Green 1908

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                Texas Panhandle
                United States
                Member #136843
                December 20, 2012
                1360 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2013, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

$5,000 a week sounds good to me.....Banana

Yep, that sounds good to me, too, although I could probably get by and live comfortably on half that or less.  I don't play a lot of scratchers, but one I do like to play here in Texas is "Weekly Grand", a thousand a week for 20 yrs.  Most people prob. couldn't retire on that, but it would be a nice supplement to their regular income, sure make things a lot easier.  Being single w/ no children, I could get by on it pretty good.

In the other thread, the one that asked how much you'd like to win, I didn't know how to answer b/c I'd like to win a billion,but would be thrilled w/ a million (or even less, actually). The Texas Lottery is at a nice level right now - $6.25 million/ $3.96 cash option.   C/O would net me $2.9+ after taxes;  take 2.1 million and invest it in a safe manner and leave me 800k+ to spend/do things with. The 2.1 million would be great to have stashed away, could always get into it if need be, but I think I could live on the interest from it, plus - while I wouldn't brag about it - I would be a multi-millionaire.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                  Upacreek
                  United States
                  Member #136306
                  December 8, 2012
                  431 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2013, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

It's in the link. And I believe that was single income. Sure, you can have all kinds of circumstances. I bet Octomom would not be happy with just $75,000. And if all the middle class familes out there today with less that $160,000 take home are miserable and unhappy, well, that is up for debate.

I like that saying Jon... "Less stressed for life"... you should see if Cali will buy that slogan from you on the next set of scratchers LOL

I saw that article too a while back.  There were several takes on the data in that study too... for example "how do you define happiness"... hard to quantify etc.

Also saw a range from $75,000 up to $160,000... but $75K seemed to be the sweet spot for most.

Interesting to note where other nations fell in that study... think Germany was around $80,000, Singapore as high as $200-$300K. 

But yeah... $500 or $1000 is hardly "set for life" these days... but I'll take what I can get Thumbs Up

-RC

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10390 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2013, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

Good point, four4me.

In Illinos the 'set for life' payoffs have a ceiling and the time frame is usually 20 years. What sounds like a weekly forune today may sound like a whole lot less 20 years from now.

Today's new car prices used to be the price of a house. Go from there.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                      Mcminnville, Oregon
                      United States
                      Member #3013
                      December 13, 2003
                      3090 Posts
                      Posted: August 18, 2013, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Oregon's win for life is only $1000 a week for life and it is I think 20 years.  So $52,000 a year so after taxes not that much have to keep working on that one.  But if they would up it to $5000 a week for life I would play that game.-weshar75

US Flag

Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2013, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I like that saying Jon... "Less stressed for life"... you should see if Cali will buy that slogan from you on the next set of scratchers LOL

I saw that article too a while back.  There were several takes on the data in that study too... for example "how do you define happiness"... hard to quantify etc.

Also saw a range from $75,000 up to $160,000... but $75K seemed to be the sweet spot for most.

Interesting to note where other nations fell in that study... think Germany was around $80,000, Singapore as high as $200-$300K. 

But yeah... $500 or $1000 is hardly "set for life" these days... but I'll take what I can get Thumbs Up

Actually, the games are called Lucky for Life. We used to have a game called Set for Life, that was $100,000/year (about $1900/week) but that was replaced with the LFL series.

Maybe some people were upset about the word "Set" so they just changed it to Lucky instead. I'd be pretty happy with $1900/week additional income, but others might be half-empty mindset and want to complain about taxes and inflation, before they even won anything!? Confused (UpSet for Life)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19964 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2013, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I Like $7500.00 a week Dance

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2013, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I Like $7500.00 a week Dance

I would be thinking more of a monthly figure and I dont mind being conservitive @ $5-10k

United States
                              Member #139735
                              March 2, 2013
                              669 Posts
                              Posted: August 19, 2013, 11:50 am - IP Logged

$2500 would work for my family