Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

To PowerPlay or Not to PowerPlay

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Saylorgirl.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: August 19, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

When it comes to "taking shots in the dark" I think we should all trust in your expert advice. Thumbs Up

Lately, most of 'em been at varmints tearin' up the garbage.

If you don't burn it that day, they'll get it that night.

They oughta know by now though that when they git to tearin' it up and they wake me up, that I'll be comin'...

And Hell's comin' with me.

grwurston's avatar - 144
    Let's Go Rangers!!!
    bel air maryland
    United States
    Member #90251
    April 24, 2010
    4879 Posts
    Posted: August 19, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Wait.... I changed my mind, I might buy a $10. MM tix even ifin I DO win the JP tonight. Thumbs Up

I always get the power play. If you should get lucky and hit the 2nd prize, would you rather have $1 million or $2 million?

And if you hit a smaller prize then you will have more $$ for the next drawing.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #103813
      January 5, 2011
      1530 Posts
      Posted: August 19, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I am torn right in the middle. Those who don't powerplay argue that the money to power play allows them to buy extra lines which is true. Those who do powerplay argue that should they hit something, their winnings become doubled tripled or quadrupled which is also true. TBH I usually powerplay but sometimes I wonder whether the extra line I could have got from not powerplaying my tickets would have been the winning one. A player on a $6 budget can powerplay his 2 tickets or can buy 3 plain tickets. What do you think?

Power Play is a side bet on Powerball 2nd-9th prizes that pays out 50% total, and increases the total payout from 18% to 28% for those prizes. But typical return is only in the 5-7% or 10-12% range with PP, very poor return in order to fund the jackpot.

If you normally only play PB when the JP is high, then you're probably not playing for the low prizes anyway, so why bother with PP? If you play regularly just a few bucks, what's a couple more for PP, couldn't hurt much. But if you regularly play at a higher level, then you have some choices: use the money for more lines, or spend the money on another game which has better payout,(like Scratch games) instead of PP if non jackpot prizes are what you are interested in.

Payout tables below:

_Powerball$2
      Total   ReturnPrizesOdds 1 inMatch
      49.98%$112,000,000175,223,5105 + PB
      18.02%$1,000,0005,153,6335 of 5
      8.32%$10,000648,9764 + PB
      7.55%$10019,0884 of 5
      7.29%$10012,2453 + PB
      6.88%$73603 of 5
      5.93%$77062 + PB
      5.44%$41111 + PB
      3.66%$455PB
      _Power Play$1
      _$0175,223,5105 + PB
      49.96%$1,000,0005,153,6335 of 5
      30.56%$30,000648,9764 + PB
      25.93%$10019,0884 of 5
      25.41%$10012,2453 + PB
      24.60%$73603 of 5
      22.72%$77062 + PB
      21.75%$81111 + PB
      14.63%$855PB
      _Powerball w/PP$3
      49.98%$112,000,000175,223,5105 + PB
      28.67%$2,000,0005,153,6335 of 5
      15.73%$40,000648,9764 + PB
      13.68%$20019,0884 of 5
      13.33%$20012,2453 + PB
      12.79%$143603 of 5
      11.52%$147062 + PB
      10.88%$121111 + PB
      7.32%$1255PB
        haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3856 Posts
        Posted: August 19, 2013, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

I always get the PP, I look at It as tho It were a second game on the same ticket.

But I agree w/ others who say It's to much If you buy multiple lines,

I buy one line per draw most times.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
          Upacreek
          United States
          Member #136306
          December 8, 2012
          428 Posts
          Posted: August 19, 2013, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

For two tickets a week, I think it's worth it to pony up a couple extra to PP... beyond that, not for me.

-RC

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: August 20, 2013, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Losing an extra dollar by having played the Powerplay and not wining anything is no big deal.

Losing $1,000,000 by not playing the Powerply and having the dollar not played being a lost "million dollar dollar" would haunt you forever.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: August 20, 2013, 1:55 am - IP Logged

I am torn right in the middle. Those who don't powerplay argue that the money to power play allows them to buy extra lines which is true. Those who do powerplay argue that should they hit something, their winnings become doubled tripled or quadrupled which is also true. TBH I usually powerplay but sometimes I wonder whether the extra line I could have got from not powerplaying my tickets would have been the winning one. A player on a $6 budget can powerplay his 2 tickets or can buy 3 plain tickets. What do you think?

Its   always  been  a   problem   I  agree

I usually put a couple dollars on  MM    (  and only  one  ticket on  PB  once in awhile  )

I play MM  more regular than I do PB 

Here's   what  I  have been doing  recently  to  solve  the  problem

Awhile  back  on  MM  I   played  3.00   one  draw

One ticket I picked my own numbers  ,  and  I  played  the  Megaplier  with it and  ,  the other  ticket  I bought just a regular  QP  without  the  Megaplier  ( feeling  that way I didnt have to make the decision ) as  I  played  Both ways

That  nite I  won  20.00   dollars as the numbers I picked  , that  ticket  hit  ( the  ticket  with  the   Megaplier )

Then  last   MM  draw  I  bought   one   regular  ticket  and   one  ticket  with  the  Megaplier again

Once  again   3.00   total 

And that draw I won again  ....... 12.00    ( as the   ticket  with the Megaplier   hit  that  time  also  )

Then    the very  next    nite on the PB drawing (  even  though   I  seldom  play   PB   anymore ) I  did buy one  regular  PB  ticket  and  then  one  PB   ticket  with  the  Powerplay  ( 5.00 total )

And  won  14.00  in  that  draw   ( once  again on the   powerplay   ticket )

All  three  times  above ,   it was the Megaplier  tickets ( and the Powerplay ticket  ) that won all three times

The three regular  tickets  each  time  won  nothing

So.......now I buy one of each  (  especially  on  the  MM  game ) one  regular  and  one with the  Megaplier

And  I  feel   content  when I walk away , knowing I gave each way a shot

I  do not have to make a decision anymore  ,  on  which way to go ,  as   I  go   " Both "   ways

When  buying just a couple tickets , give both  ways a shot.........one with and one without

That  way the decision has been made for you  , and you have a 50 50 shot (  either  way  ) should you get lucky

And should you hit the 5 or 5 on the MM.......on the regular   ticket and  not on  the Megaplier one ,  at least it will go down a little more easy , as you will have known, that you  did  give the Megaplier a  shot   ,  that draw also

But usually on  PB  ( when  I   do  play  , which aint often )   I will usually just get  one  regular   PB  ticket   ,  and  walk  away

And when they change the   MM  game  in  October  ,    I  will  then treat that game the way I do the PB now

Only    One    Ticket    and   only   once   in   a   blue    moon

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: August 20, 2013, 7:34 am - IP Logged

I usually pay 2-3 lines and I always power play.  Remember Mrs. Louise White won $336 million on a 3 lines with power playWink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: August 20, 2013, 7:38 am - IP Logged

Its   always  been  a   problem   I  agree

I usually put a couple dollars on  MM    (  and only  one  ticket on  PB  once in awhile  )

I play MM  more regular than I do PB 

Here's   what  I  have been doing  recently  to  solve  the  problem

Awhile  back  on  MM  I   played  3.00   one  draw

One ticket I picked my own numbers  ,  and  I  played  the  Megaplier  with it and  ,  the other  ticket  I bought just a regular  QP  without  the  Megaplier  ( feeling  that way I didnt have to make the decision ) as  I  played  Both ways

That  nite I  won  20.00   dollars as the numbers I picked  , that  ticket  hit  ( the  ticket  with  the   Megaplier )

Then  last   MM  draw  I  bought   one   regular  ticket  and   one  ticket  with  the  Megaplier again

Once  again   3.00   total 

And that draw I won again  ....... 12.00    ( as the   ticket  with the Megaplier   hit  that  time  also  )

Then    the very  next    nite on the PB drawing (  even  though   I  seldom  play   PB   anymore ) I  did buy one  regular  PB  ticket  and  then  one  PB   ticket  with  the  Powerplay  ( 5.00 total )

And  won  14.00  in  that  draw   ( once  again on the   powerplay   ticket )

All  three  times  above ,   it was the Megaplier  tickets ( and the Powerplay ticket  ) that won all three times

The three regular  tickets  each  time  won  nothing

So.......now I buy one of each  (  especially  on  the  MM  game ) one  regular  and  one with the  Megaplier

And  I  feel   content  when I walk away , knowing I gave each way a shot

I  do not have to make a decision anymore  ,  on  which way to go ,  as   I  go   " Both "   ways

When  buying just a couple tickets , give both  ways a shot.........one with and one without

That  way the decision has been made for you  , and you have a 50 50 shot (  either  way  ) should you get lucky

And should you hit the 5 or 5 on the MM.......on the regular   ticket and  not on  the Megaplier one ,  at least it will go down a little more easy , as you will have known, that you  did  give the Megaplier a  shot   ,  that draw also

But usually on  PB  ( when  I   do  play  , which aint often )   I will usually just get  one  regular   PB  ticket   ,  and  walk  away

And when they change the   MM  game  in  October  ,    I  will  then treat that game the way I do the PB now

Only    One    Ticket    and   only   once   in   a   blue    moon

Good job on your wins Astekblue Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19908 Posts
                    Posted: August 20, 2013, 8:51 am - IP Logged

Maybe you can get both and have $1.00 left over for another game Smiley

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                      Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #35086
                      March 12, 2006
                      10374 Posts
                      Posted: August 20, 2013, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Good job on your wins Astekblue Thumbs Up

Thanks      dallas

Good  Luck  on  your  future  wins  ,   as  I   know  they  will   be   many    Thumbs Up

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: August 20, 2013, 9:39 am - IP Logged

Losing an extra dollar by having played the Powerplay and not wining anything is no big deal.

Losing $1,000,000 by not playing the Powerply and having the dollar not played being a lost "million dollar dollar" would haunt you forever.

Hi Coin Toss,

I feel the same way as you and that's why I always play with the powerplay option. I usually buy one ticket when I play mm and pb and always play with the powerplay. When the jackpot gets very high then I might play more than 1 ticket but still with the powerplay. Even on MM it would be too hard to deal with getting the 250,000 on 5 numbers knowing that if I had just spent that 1 dollar it would be 1 million instead. Like you said Coin Toss, it's much easier dealing with just losing 1 dollar than losing a whole lot more but not spending that extra dollar.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: August 20, 2013, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Back in the mid 2000's when the MegaPlier option in MM was only in Texas, Todd had a petition on LP or USAMEGA asking members to sign it to demand megaplier to be available to all MegaMillions players in all states that carried the game. It felt horrible knowing Texans could double their winnings on non jackpot prizes and we couldn't. I can't imagine how horrible Californians feel about not having MegaPlier and PowerPlay option. 

I like to take advantage of these things when they are available. I bet Californians would urge everyone to PowerPlay their tickets.

That money's gone fo ever

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: August 20, 2013, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you can get both and have $1.00 left over for another game Smiley

That's kinda interesting   helpmewin. PP one ticket and buy another without PP and still have $1 left over.  I think Astekblue says he does that. But what if the one you didn't PP is the one that wins the non jackpot prize? I think I would cry more than if I didn't PP both tickets if I matched 5 of 5 without PB.

That money's gone fo ever

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                              JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                              Member #141034
                              April 2, 2013
                              1410 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2013, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Always POWERPLAY when playing PB/MM. Observe it from this point of view. You wake up in the morning, looked at your tickets, and lo and behold, you picked 5 out of 6, minus the powerball/megaball.

...Would you rather have $1mil. instead of $2mil. for PB, $250G instead of $1mil. for MM, just because you failed to spend a buck?. I'll be kicking myself. Bang Head

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****