Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PB or MM- Get rid of lower tier prizes in favor of larger top tiers (1-3)?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by tkr333.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Romancandle's avatar - moon
Upacreek
United States
Member #136306
December 8, 2012
428 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2013, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

Would this be a terrible idea?

I play to win big... hard to get excited over a $4 or $2 payout, so why not eliminate six of the lower tier prizes ($2 to $150) and roll that savings into larger 2nd and 3rd tier wins for the game?

If you powerplay... bigger payouts at those top tiers.

-RC

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2013, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

I think it's a great idea !

Who even remembers the small wins, could even reduce the number of unclaimed tix.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2013, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

I have to disagree.

For most players, those small prizes are all they're ever going to win. Very few win those top prizes.

I think it could be a little disheartening to lose every single time you play for your whole life.

I think it would hurt participation.

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #145690
        August 11, 2013
        258 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2013, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I play to win big... hard to get excited over a $4 or $2 payout, so why not eliminate six of the lower tier prizes ($2 to $150) and roll that savings into larger 2nd and 3rd tier wins for the game?

I don't know.  I am a little split on this one.  I see where it would be a great idea and even possibly bring in more sales because with PB and MM majority is after top prizes.  However,  there are alot of people that would be happy with $150 wins.  I think they should cut out the 2, 4, and 7 dollars wins and replace them with larger amounts such as 25, 50, and 150 dollar wins.  I can't say I would be too sad to win 25 back and be able to play it on another large JP but I am always very disappointed to just get a 2 dollar amount back.

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
          nashville
          United States
          Member #49896
          February 18, 2007
          1181 Posts
          Posted: August 24, 2013, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I have to disagree.

For most players, those small prizes are all they're ever going to win. Very few win those top prizes.

I think it could be a little disheartening to lose every single time you play for your whole life.

I Agree! You are right a lifelong losing streak would be depressing. The small prize wins are at least a sliver of hope.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: August 24, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

Everyone play hoping to win big but that doesn't mean the players who brought the 175M minus one tickets that didn't win the jackpot would be happy winning nothing.  I doubt if many people would play a game where the overall odds of winning anything was 1:175M

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Sunny California
              United States
              Member #40295
              May 31, 2006
              7712 Posts
              Posted: August 24, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion they should ALL be lower prizes so MORE people could win,period. I'd much rather see hundreds of people win a few hundred or a thousand dollars than $2. I'd much rather see 100 people win a million dollars each than 1 person win $100 million. But people are greedy and want to win BIG. Well, who doesn't? Or,more to the point,who DOES? So very very few. I don't think most people would scoff at winning a thousand dollars after years of playing and only winning $4.00.

Spread the wealth.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: August 24, 2013, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Everyone play hoping to win big but that doesn't mean the players who brought the 175M minus one tickets that didn't win the jackpot would be happy winning nothing.  I doubt if many people would play a game where the overall odds of winning anything was 1:175M

I Agree! People like to see the word "winner" when they scan their tickets.

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: August 24, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion they should ALL be lower prizes so MORE people could win,period. I'd much rather see hundreds of people win a few hundred or a thousand dollars than $2. I'd much rather see 100 people win a million dollars each than 1 person win $100 million. But people are greedy and want to win BIG. Well, who doesn't? Or,more to the point,who DOES? So very very few. I don't think most people would scoff at winning a thousand dollars after years of playing and only winning $4.00.

Spread the wealth.

If I wanted to win $500 I would play pick 3.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: August 24, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

I have always thought that it would be very easy for the big jackpot games to cut away a $1-2million from each drawing and give a $100k prize to 10-20 people on a random basis.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                      Massachusetts
                      United States
                      Member #37433
                      April 14, 2006
                      2747 Posts
                      Posted: August 24, 2013, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Spread the wealth.

The game you seem to wish for is like a national raffle that several people here at LP have proposed over time. It would be great if there was a giant raffle where they would sell maybe 100M tickets at $1 each and then the raffle would be drawn and mint out 50 winners getting $1M each. The odds to win $1M would be 1:2,000,000 under this scenario. Those are terrific odds. Maybe do the drawing every 1'st of the month. I most definately would play that.

That money's gone fo ever

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: August 24, 2013, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Careful what u ask for, you might not like it. Confused

If you keep the same percentage of PB sales (18.02%) allocated for the 2nd-9th prizes, and then eliminate the bottom 6 tiers, this is what you can get:

_Powerball 2nd-3rd$2 
                        PercentPrizesOdds 1 inMatch
                        10.32%$1,064,000 5,153,6335 of 5
                        7.70%$100,000 648,9764 + PB

So you can get a $100,000 3rd prize, and increase the 2nd prize to a whopping $1,064,000! Thud

For that privilege, most people will never ever win any prize in their lifetime, unless they're spending over a million dollars on PB. Bad trade. Bang Head

Current PB for reference:

_Powerball 2nd-9th$2 
                        PercentPrizesOdds 1 inMatch
                        9.70%$1,000,000 5,153,6335 of 5
                        0.77%$10,000 648,9764 + PB
                        0.26%$100 19,0884 of 5
                        0.41%$100 12,2453 + PB
                        0.97%$7 3603 of 5
                        0.50%$7 7062 + PB
                        1.81%$4 1111 + PB
                        3.66%$4 55PB
                          Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10348 Posts
                          Posted: August 24, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I have to disagree.

I agree with rdgrnr on this and let me also add that I don't think even those running the lotteries would go for the idea of eliminating the lower tier prizes. They know that players like the occassional bone no matter how small, and that most of the money in those lower tier payouts goes right back into more lottery tickets.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                            Upacreek
                            United States
                            Member #136306
                            December 8, 2012
                            428 Posts
                            Posted: August 24, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

(all) Very good points...

Joh D.  -Yikes... that didn't work out the way I thought it might Unhappy 

Cointoss - I forgot about "feeding the machine" with the lower tier wins... yeah, the lottery does not want to kill that concept Yes Nod

-RC

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2013, 7:11 am - IP Logged

personally id drop the lowest 3 prizes, as the  win amount isnt  something you can celebrate with any how, and add the  money to all the other except jackpot.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297