Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PB or MM- Get rid of lower tier prizes in favor of larger top tiers (1-3)?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 3 years ago by tkr333.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7310 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2013, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I agree with rdgrnr on this and let me also add that I don't think even those running the lotteries would go for the idea of eliminating the lower tier prizes. They know that players like the occassional bone no matter how small, and that most of the money in those lower tier payouts goes right back into more lottery tickets.

I Agree!

Just compare the growth of the MM jackpots to PB with a minimum jackpot increase and it's easy to see less people are playing MM because of it. Without the secondary prizes, why even play for a smaller jackpot that probably won't be won. It looks like the current trend is to offer online games similar to scratch-offs where it's easy to get a portion of wagers back in smaller wins. Texas' All or Nothing and states with Five Card Cash games are good examples. If more people are playing the games where they win $10 after spending $20 or a free ticket after buying one ticket, why would lotteries think those players would spend the same money trying to win a prize that 99.99% of them will never win? 

If the secondary prizes started at 4 + 1, only 35 out of 20 million tickets sold in last nights PB game won something meaning 99.999825% of all the tickets sold won nothing.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Just compare the growth of the MM jackpots to PB with a minimum jackpot increase and it's easy to see less people are playing MM because of it. Without the secondary prizes, why even play for a smaller jackpot that probably won't be won. It looks like the current trend is to offer online games similar to scratch-offs where it's easy to get a portion of wagers back in smaller wins. Texas' All or Nothing and states with Five Card Cash games are good examples. If more people are playing the games where they win $10 after spending $20 or a free ticket after buying one ticket, why would lotteries think those players would spend the same money trying to win a prize that 99.99% of them will never win? 

If the secondary prizes started at 4 + 1, only 35 out of 20 million tickets sold in last nights PB game won something meaning 99.999825% of all the tickets sold won nothing.

Right, if anything they might take some on the jackpot money and add to the other smaller prizes. If players want even more massive jackpots its now a proven fact that higher ticket prices are the answer.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Right, if anything they might take some on the jackpot money and add to the other smaller prizes. If players want even more massive jackpots its now a proven fact that higher ticket prices are the answer.

Are you a 5+1 Winner as indicated under your name or is it an anticipation of that day you will win?

That money's gone fo ever

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Are you a 5+1 Winner as indicated under your name or is it an anticipation of that day you will win?

Funny that you should ask after all this time posting together. lol. I hit 5+1 on a thread using 28 numbers and a single bonus number. Math and logic told me it would take about 17 years, but it happen on the 18th draw. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/45

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
          Massachusetts
          United States
          Member #37433
          April 14, 2006
          2747 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

Funny that you should ask after all this time posting together. lol. I hit 5+1 on a thread using 28 numbers and a single bonus number. Math and logic told me it would take about 17 years, but it happen on the 18th draw. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/247020/45

Oh I now get it. I sometimes fail to see whats right in front of me. Too much beer is bad for you Cheers <---- No No

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Oh I now get it. I sometimes fail to see whats right in front of me. Too much beer is bad for you Cheers <---- No No

People came out of the woodwork to remind me that I was NOT a winner, so I made it my personal title.

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! You are right a lifelong losing streak would be depressing. The small prize wins are at least a sliver of hope.

A sliver of silver?

Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I have a half full bottle of Absolut Vodka and that stuff is for members only. I seriously don't get how people take full swigs of that stuff and not get sick in their stomachs. I'm light weight I guess.

Massachusetts
                  United States
                  Member #37433
                  April 14, 2006
                  2747 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2013, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

People came out of the woodwork to remind me that I was NOT a winner, so I made it my personal title.

Players today are future winners.

United States
                    Member #124493
                    March 14, 2012
                    7023 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2013, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Keeping with Kardashians on topic,

I think the lower tier prizes might do more for PB since its easier to hit the BONUS nut, whereas MM is much harder.

Although i suppose if you stick to megaball 36 you "might" get lucky.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2013, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

A sliver of silver?

A sliver of silver is better than my current pocket full of lint,lol. LOL

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2013, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Keeping with Kardashians on topic,

I think the lower tier prizes might do more for PB since its easier to hit the BONUS nut, whereas MM is much harder.

Although i suppose if you stick to megaball 36 you "might" get lucky.

I say give us MORE prizes. It wouldn't cost them a dime and it would increase sales. Raffle a $100k to a couple losing ticket holders each draw. What the haymaker.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23267 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to suspend members when they continue to try and take this or other threads off-topic.  Doesn't matter if you're a regular or premium member, either way taking threads off-topic is against the rules.  I'm tired of deleting your nonsense.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                            Upacreek
                            United States
                            Member #136306
                            December 8, 2012
                            428 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I say give us MORE prizes. It wouldn't cost them a dime and it would increase sales. Raffle a $100k to a couple losing ticket holders each draw. What the haymaker.

That's not a bad idea...

-RC

United States
                              Member #128790
                              June 2, 2012
                              5431 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm going to suspend members when they continue to try and take this or other threads off-topic.  Doesn't matter if you're a regular or premium member, either way taking threads off-topic is against the rules.  I'm tired of deleting your nonsense.

Thumbs Up