Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Before You Ever Think of Winning, Better Check GOOGLE First...

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by mikeintexas.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoNick56's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
Tampa, FL
United States
Member #121764
January 16, 2012
188 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2013, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

So you want to win the lottery, huh?  Think once you win that you'll have it all figured out.  How and when to collect the money, what people to get in touch with, etc? But what about your privacy?  If you have a unique name, with a simple Google search, people can find out loads of information about you from you address, phone number, age, relatives' names, photo and satellite imagery of your current residence, and even things such as prior arrests and divorces.  I have a very unique name and I have been spending the last few weeks trying to remove dozens of websites with my home address and phone # (among other things) from my Google search results.  If I ever wanted to remain as secretive and "annoymous" as possible once winning the lottery, it would be quite difficult at this point.  I think it's important that everyone be aware of what kind of information about them is readily available for free to everyone online.  Once you win, it's too late..it takes weeks to even months to get rid of this information!  I know once I hear someone one a big jackpot, I will usually type their name into Google to see what kind of stuff comes up.  However, there is a way out of most things.  A lot of websites have removal request pages and opt-out pages so do your research.  Start removing your internet database information now.

Here is a site to inform you of how to request removal your information from many websites that you're probably listed on already:

unlistmy.info/sites

...Someone's going to win eventually...

...Never know, could be me...

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2013, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I've read stuff about people that would make me want to avoid them.  Maybe I would put some similar stuff about me out there if I ever won a lottery jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
      Member #118609
      November 4, 2011
      939 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2013, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

Thank you for this information.  It takes diligence to have any privacy anyway, aside from a lottery win.

Mr-Smith's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        rekjavik
        Iceland
        Member #99537
        October 27, 2010
        177 Posts
        Posted: August 29, 2013, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

I have a super low digital footprint......Cheers

You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. In what world could you possibly beat me?Patriot

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
          New York
          United States
          Member #145706
          August 12, 2013
          108 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2013, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, but I've already carefully planned ahead for when I win. If you google my real name, Gregory Harrison, all you would find is my facebook account. It has no picutres, no real birthdays, no addresses, and no family connections. And I have no picutres of myself uploaded to any other websites that could be floating around in cyber sapce. Also I've never been arrested or got into trouble with the police that would require it to be public info. Plus I would probably change my real name in case some one I don't know tries to track me down when the see my real name that the lotto officals have posted online.

"When you begin to see, then you begin to feel. And when you begin to feel, then you begin to believe".

Tampa, FL
            United States
            Member #121764
            January 16, 2012
            188 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I have a super low digital footprint......Cheers

Plus, if your real last name is actually Smith...Congratulations, you'll never be found haha.  Unlike you, I have a distinct name, the only one in the whole country to my knowledge.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Whenever I "google" people I know, usually their Facebook profile comes up on the first results page. That is one of the reasons I left FB in May 2012 and have not looked back. I also got tired of reading updates such as "oh I'm at CVS, woop woop!" or "Just about to take a bath, anybody wanna join me? o_O" 

Anyways trying to be completely anonymous in this interconnected era is an exercise at futility. You would have to not own a car, pay all your bills in cash and have to use someone elses name to get into a contract with the utilities companies. Have no bank account and receive all your wages in cash. That's not an easy feat to accomplish unless you become a recluse.

That money's gone fo ever

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2659 Posts
                Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged
                  haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

LottoNick56,

thanks for that, but could you tell me where you found info for free.

I goggled my own name and found that they had basic info, but required a payment of some kind to go any further.

One site had my name and showed I have lived in 5 different towns in the past, 3 of those towns were wrong,

one of the incorrect towns is also on my credit report, so I guess that's one of their sources,

the other 2 towns are in states I never lived in.

Meanwhile 4 other states I've lived in are not listed, sound like a guessing game, and a sloppy one at that.

I also tried 2 freinds names, one is very unique as he was born in another country, that produced nothing,

the other name which sounds like 2 first names prouduced so many possibilities it's useless.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Tampa, FL
                    United States
                    Member #121764
                    January 16, 2012
                    188 Posts
                    Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Whenever I "google" people I know, usually their Facebook profile comes up on the first results page. That is one of the reasons I left FB in May 2012 and have not looked back. I also got tired of reading updates such as "oh I'm at CVS, woop woop!" or "Just about to take a bath, anybody wanna join me? o_O" 

Anyways trying to be completely anonymous in this interconnected era is an exercise at futility. You would have to not own a car, pay all your bills in cash and have to use someone elses name to get into a contract with the utilities companies. Have no bank account and receive all your wages in cash. That's not an easy feat to accomplish unless you become a recluse.

I also left Facebook quite a while back for the same reasons you have stated, the pointless garbage some people spew onto the internet as if others care.  I understand it is not entirely possible to completely remove one's self from every electronic document, that isn't what I am recommending here.  I am simply showing that there are privately owned databases that collect information from linkedin, facebook, they buy it from companies when you sign up for stuff, etc and they create their own search databases that show up in your Google results.  I found I get better results of myself when I put my name in between quotation marks (it's a way of searching for a specific word or phrase on Google).  I personally currently have 56 search results and most of them are just public search databases such as pipl.com or radaris.com.  I can request they remove my name and address and eventually I'll only have the most basic search results (ex: private LinkedIn page).  I can control my results in this way. 

Once this information is removed from the search databases, you can request Google to remove the links to those websites from your results by using this:

Does not work on Google Chrome for me, only Internet Explorer
                    https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&passive=1209600&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fremovals%3Fpli%3D1&followup=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fwebmasters%2Ftools%2Fremovals%3Fpli%3D1

You need to login with a gmail account first. But this site will allow you to remove the Cache files from old search results and therefore remove them from the web.

Good Luck!

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
                      Wisconsin
                      United States
                      Member #123290
                      February 17, 2012
                      3053 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

Plus, if your real last name is actually Smith...Congratulations, you'll never be found haha.  Unlike you, I have a distinct name, the only one in the whole country to my knowledge.

My name is rather distinct as well (it's a French name) and I have little to no info on the

internet as is. Most of the sites that come up when I Google are in french lol

I've had my address from the UPS Store listed as my home address, since I order

from ebay ect.. and have the packages sent there, that address is even on my drivers

license.

Bottom line is I'm not worried about winning the Big One and people learning about me

it won't be much anyway.

Tampa, FL
                        United States
                        Member #121764
                        January 16, 2012
                        188 Posts
                        Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

LottoNick56,

thanks for that, but could you tell me where you found info for free.

I goggled my own name and found that they had basic info, but required a payment of some kind to go any further.

One site had my name and showed I have lived in 5 different towns in the past, 3 of those towns were wrong,

one of the incorrect towns is also on my credit report, so I guess that's one of their sources,

the other 2 towns are in states I never lived in.

Meanwhile 4 other states I've lived in are not listed, sound like a guessing game, and a sloppy one at that.

I also tried 2 freinds names, one is very unique as he was born in another country, that produced nothing,

the other name which sounds like 2 first names prouduced so many possibilities it's useless.

Perhaps for you it would be a guessing game.  But remember, there are people out there crazy enough to spend the time guessing until they bother the hell out of you with requests for money.  They will show up at every address if they must.  My results are quite accurate.  There is SOMETIMES a limit to the results but enough for them to get your home address and phone number from most every site for free.  Plus, if the lottery announces where you have won, it makes it much easier for them to weed through the search results.  You'll be receiving phone calls and letters in no time.

Be sure to try different variations of your name such as a name you might commonly use online and try it with and without being inside quotation marks.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

My name is rather distinct as well (it's a French name) and I have little to no info on the

internet as is. Most of the sites that come up when I Google are in french lol

I've had my address from the UPS Store listed as my home address, since I order

from ebay ect.. and have the packages sent there, that address is even on my drivers

license.

Bottom line is I'm not worried about winning the Big One and people learning about me

it won't be much anyway.

that address is even on my drivers license.

Is that possible? wow I learn new things at LP all the time.

That money's gone fo ever

Tampa, FL
                            United States
                            Member #121764
                            January 16, 2012
                            188 Posts
                            Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

On PeepDB.com, I get my full name, address, and phone number by simply clicking on "Get Uncensored Listing Link".

I requested removal about a week ago and it is still up.  I wonder if anyone even works at that place.

Here is how they tell you to remove it from PeepDB.com:

To request removal from the PeepDB directory, navigate to the listing you would like removed and click on the Get Uncensored Listing link. Scroll to the bottom of the Full Listing page and click on the Remove This Listing link to begin the process of removal. Please keep in mind that PeepDB.com is not the source of this information. Therefore we are not responsible for its continued presence elsewhere on the web even after your removal from PeepDB.com

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4808 Posts
                              Posted: August 29, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps for you it would be a guessing game.  But remember, there are people out there crazy enough to spend the time guessing until they bother the hell out of you with requests for money.  They will show up at every address if they must.  My results are quite accurate.  There is SOMETIMES a limit to the results but enough for them to get your home address and phone number from most every site for free.  Plus, if the lottery announces where you have won, it makes it much easier for them to weed through the search results.  You'll be receiving phone calls and letters in no time.

Be sure to try different variations of your name such as a name you might commonly use online and try it with and without being inside quotation marks.

I find myself thinking if I won a major jackpot, I would be looking around when I go out to feed my pond fish early in the morning before work, etc. (thought it this morning). Sometimes I creep myself out..lol.

J'aime La France.