Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you label people who buy more than one ticket for PB/MM foolish?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Slick Nick.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: September 2, 2013, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

If ONLY one set of numbers is picked as the winner- is it fair to say " Stop Right there bud"- anything more is money down the drain.

Yes or No?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4146 Posts
    Posted: September 2, 2013, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

There are those who will say " l purchase Only ONE ticket" regardless of whether the Jackpot is $40 million or $400 Million. All it takes is ONE ticket, do you share that opinion or do you feel that more than one ticket is necessary to cover " all your bets so to speak"?

What of pools, despite some winning- should the prevailing attitude be " they got lucky!"

A Yes or No would Suffice. 

G-Night.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10391 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2013, 12:09 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

A guy I worked with in Vegas said everybody bets the same amount, not meaning a monetary amount but whatever amount it takes to give them a thrill.

Lotteries are a little different here, but for the most part gamblers will brag more about a big loss than a win.

Near graphic in the OP, could be used for many things.

As far as a Y/N answer, unless you are in fact data mining or doing opinion polls for some lottery putting questions up on a discussion board and asking for only Y/N answers is a wee bit curious.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4146 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2013, 12:28 am - IP Logged

noise-gate,

A guy I worked with in Vegas said everybody bets the same amount, not meaning a monetary amount but whatever amount it takes to give them a thrill.

Lotteries are a little different here, but for the most part gamblers will brag more about a big loss than a win.

Near graphic in the OP, could be used for many things.

As far as a Y/N answer, unless you are in fact data mining or doing opinion polls for some lottery putting questions up on a discussion board and asking for only Y/N answers is a wee bit curious.

No data mining here C.T.
        This question is closely related to the one l asked previously so in order to avoid the " did l not answer something similar" - l gave an easier choice. Some people are afraid to get into a discussion and would rather have short sentence answers that cover all the bases. A Y/N in this case is appropriate- l think.
        For instance in many cases you will see that there is  more " viewing" of a topic than answering it which begs the question" do you have an opinion one way or another on the topic you just read?"
        Hope you see my point.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #123290
          February 17, 2012
          3089 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2013, 6:59 am - IP Logged

No, they  can buy as many tickets as they want.

Some think the lottery as a whole is foolish.

...the secret to Luck is never to trust it...

2012 wins:$20 loss:$200  2013 wins:$100 loss:$270  2014 wins:$360 loss:$273 

2015 wins:$0 loss:$53 2016 wins:$0 loss:$22 

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5761 Posts
            Posted: September 3, 2013, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Buy as many tics as you can afford without using the mortgage money, food , etc.

Only one line can win, but the only way to to increase your chances of winning (small chances) is to buy more tics.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United States
              Member #130815
              July 25, 2012
              1636 Posts
              Posted: September 3, 2013, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Buy as many tics as you can afford without using the mortgage money, food , etc.

Only one line can win, but the only way to to increase your chances of winning (small chances) is to buy more tics.

Now that's a very accurate answer...only one ticket can win but which ONE is the winning ONE???

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
                Phoenix, AZ
                United States
                Member #136173
                December 5, 2012
                1034 Posts
                Posted: September 3, 2013, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

My thoughts exactly.  Who's to say how much one person should play?  If I had the bank roll to wheel a good amount of numbers (100-150 lines), I'd do it.  My chances of winning would definitely be better at hitting something substantial that way.  It's all in the numbers.  Unfortunately I don't have that kind of bank roll so I play my $20-$40 a week on the Lotto.  I find that when I play more, I tend to win more, but I play a bit different and strategize my plays than just shootin' in the dark hoping for a hit (QP'ing).  I would think that's how most big lotto players play.  To answer your question if I think someones foolish for playing more than one ticket at a time?  No.
                To spin things around, I think if you're going to play the Lotto, I'd find it a bit foolish to be playing only 1 ticket per game.  That's just me though, LOL.

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

United States
                  Member #145267
                  August 1, 2013
                  1723 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2013, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

It depends on if you are one of those people that can afford to buy many tickets.  No bills, extra money in saving/checking and retirement saving is looking pretty good.  So, no is my answer also, and I agree, buying only one ticket may-be considered foolish also.

JAP69's avatar - alas
                    South Carolina
                    United States
                    Member #6
                    November 4, 2001
                    8797 Posts
                    Posted: September 3, 2013, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

Their money. It is in their possesion to spend it.

Oo'Ka

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                      Beautiful Florida
                      United States
                      Member #5709
                      July 18, 2004
                      20240 Posts
                      Posted: September 3, 2013, 1:23 pm - IP Logged

Nope, not at all..!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6305 Posts
                        Posted: September 3, 2013, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

No I wouldn't.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2013, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Picture a sandbox with one hundred seventy five million, two hundred twenty three thousand, five hundred ten grains of sand in it.

And one of those grains of sand has an x on it.

Picture a blindfolded man sticking his hand in that sandbox and picking out one of those grains of sand.

What do you think the chances are of him picking out that one grain with the x? Pretty remote, right? Right.

How about if you had ten or twenty grains with an x in there? Still pretty remote, right? Right.

One ticket gets you a remote chance and ten or twenty more ain't really gonna help much.

One's all you need.

But it's a free country.

So I buy two.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3316 Posts
                            Posted: September 3, 2013, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

untill they  have had the prize draw, and i know theeir spending is all lost, i would refrain from calling anyone a moron. Im same as most here, its their money, blow it on waht ever junk floats your boat, its non of my business.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4973 Posts
                              Posted: September 3, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I buy one ticket 99% of the time. While on most levels, I would not care how much someone spends, however when I hear someone complaining about debts, etc. (and they buy one way more than one ticket per game and scratch offs), I do think the money would be better spent paying down their debts. I do wonder about their money management skills and common sense.

J'aime La France.