Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you label people who buy more than one ticket for PB/MM foolish?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Slick Nick.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
helpmewin's avatar - dandy
u$a
United States
Member #106665
February 22, 2011
19911 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2013, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

NO

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
    Bay Area - California
    United States
    Member #136477
    December 12, 2012
    4111 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2013, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Precisely...Remember this- was one of two winners from the PB from last Nov?

The Arizona winner has opted to take cash, $192.5 million, before taxes. On the day of the drawing, he went to 4 Sons Food Store in Fountain Hills, "handed the clerk a $20 bill and he said, 'I'd like 10 in Quick Pick Powerball tickets,'" she told reporters. "The retailer tried to encourage him to spend the entire $20 and he said, 'No, $10 is all I want to spend.' Clearly, that was enough."

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7325 Posts
      Posted: September 4, 2013, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

The Arizona winner has opted to take cash, $192.5 million, before taxes. On the day of the drawing, he went to 4 Sons Food Store in Fountain Hills, "handed the clerk a $20 bill and he said, 'I'd like 10 in Quick Pick Powerball tickets,'" she told reporters. "The retailer tried to encourage him to spend the entire $20 and he said, 'No, $10 is all I want to spend.' Clearly, that was enough."

That happened in November 2012 when the cost of one ticket was $2 so he couldn't purchase 10 tickets for $10. It looks like the clerk wasn't encouraging him to spend $20, but was saying it will cost him $20 to purchase 10 QPs.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4111 Posts
        Posted: September 4, 2013, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

That happened in November 2012 when the cost of one ticket was $2 so he couldn't purchase 10 tickets for $10. It looks like the clerk wasn't encouraging him to spend $20, but was saying it will cost him $20 to purchase 10 QPs.

The clerk's explanation to the press comes across as odd-  pity this winner does not talk to the press.He probably would have said" l want $10.00 worth of PB tickets"- meaning as you say '5'.
        If l put $10.00 on a counter and told the clerk " PB tickets only bud, l know they would ring me up for 5 unless l said 1 or 3 & so forth.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20126 Posts
          Posted: September 4, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Well, 10 quick picks would have been $20.00 in Powerball.  If I was the clerk and this person handed me $20.00 and said I'd like 10 in quick picks, that's exactly what he woulfd have gotten.  10 quick picks  =  $20.00..  So in reality , it wasn't clear enough....!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4111 Posts
            Posted: September 4, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Well, 10 quick picks would have been $20.00 in Powerball.  If I was the clerk and this person handed me $20.00 and said I'd like 10 in quick picks, that's exactly what he woulfd have gotten.  10 quick picks  =  $20.00..  So in reality , it wasn't clear enough....!

What we have here Maddog is one version of what transpired.  It could very well be that the eventual winner did put $20.00 down as we know and said " l want $10.00 worth of powerball QP's - because if he said 10 QP's, there would be no need for the clerk to further clarity the next line " are you sure you DONT WANT $20.00 worth?"
            This winner avoids the press like a plaque- he had his local Congress Person pass a bill on anonymity in his district or State, that's how serious he is about staying in the shadows, away from prying eyes.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7325 Posts
              Posted: September 4, 2013, 11:32 pm - IP Logged

The clerk's explanation to the press comes across as odd-  pity this winner does not talk to the press.He probably would have said" l want $10.00 worth of PB tickets"- meaning as you say '5'.
              If l put $10.00 on a counter and told the clerk " PB tickets only bud, l know they would ring me up for 5 unless l said 1 or 3 & so forth.

It really goes well with the topic because every time I buy 10 tickets and win nothing, I feel foolish. LOL

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3856 Posts
                Posted: September 5, 2013, 10:48 am - IP Logged

No, they  can buy as many tickets as they want.

Some think the lottery as a whole is foolish.

Yes, there are some, no, many that would label you foolish for buying even one ticket.

I'm sure they would never find their way to this site.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                  Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                  United States
                  Member #50210
                  March 1, 2007
                  843 Posts
                  Posted: September 5, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I don't judge what other people do with their money as that is simply their choice. For most it's entertainment but there are some who take it too seriously and create issues for them and their family. I find it sad when I hear about someone spending half the grocery money on lottery tickets when they have hungry children at home.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                    Member #142777
                    May 18, 2013
                    263 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2013, 10:13 am - IP Logged

I'd say jackpot winners who won it with 1 ticket are more likely not to lose the money like 80% of the winners.

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

London
                      United Kingdom
                      Member #140684
                      March 24, 2013
                      566 Posts
                      Posted: September 6, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

I only buy 2 lines now, used to be 5 but me and my Mom who we split the cost with each other like a mini pool decided it was just a little too much so now we only spend 2 GBP each per draw and we don't always play all the draws so it's fine.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                        Rochester
                        United States
                        Member #103282
                        January 1, 2011
                        603 Posts
                        Posted: September 7, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

Only 1 set of numbers can win. So buy 1 and hope for it. Now if you have a group of frineds who also play, then I agree with a group lottery, more than 1 ticket purchase. See Ya!

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile