Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

20/20 Special on lottery winners

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Wheeler's avatar - Lottery-023.jpg
Pittsburg, Ks
United States
Member #3382
January 17, 2004
80679 Posts
Posted: September 10, 2013, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

it's on Tuesday night 10 p.m. on abc...Called crazy stupid luck.For anyone interested in watching

I hate being a downer but according to my Cox Cable Guide the lottery story is about a another murdered lottery winner. But then again sometimes the Guide is wrong and I hope it's wrong now

God Bless America

US Flag

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    591 Posts
    Posted: September 10, 2013, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

15 minutes

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #77815
      August 1, 2009
      3459 Posts
      Posted: September 10, 2013, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Saw the interview tonight with Dee Dee Moore and it was hard to watch this lying con artist. Why is Abrahram's "friend" Greg is getting a pass from the media when he was the one who made the fake phone call to Abraham's mother. Greg was willing to help Dee Dee as long as he did not have to pay the $63,000 he took from Abraham. I am over this story.

I did like the part at the end about the lottery pools. Did anyone catch that stat at the beginning of the show? 1600 people become millionaires each year playinng the lottery. I guess there is hope for all of us.

Guess Who's Back?

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
        Columbus, Ohio
        United States
        Member #128906
        June 5, 2012
        591 Posts
        Posted: September 10, 2013, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Saw the interview tonight with Dee Dee Moore and it was hard to watch this lying con artist. Why is Abrahram's "friend" Greg is getting a pass from the media when he was the one who made the fake phone call to Abraham's mother. Greg was willing to help Dee Dee as long as he did not have to pay the $63,000 he took from Abraham. I am over this story.

I did like the part at the end about the lottery pools. Did anyone catch that stat at the beginning of the show? 1600 people become millionaires each year playinng the lottery. I guess there is hope for all of us.

Yeah, I agree... I've saw the Abraham story on several networks and I'm done watching anymore of that case.  I also caught the beginning, that's alot of instant millionaires ... I play for the smaller prizes

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #61435
          May 22, 2008
          906 Posts
          Posted: September 11, 2013, 5:35 am - IP Logged

Fell asleep, anyone catch the part about numbers/randomness/etc at the end?  If so, please summarize.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
            nc
            United States
            Member #99520
            October 26, 2010
            375 Posts
            Posted: September 11, 2013, 9:41 am - IP Logged

Fell asleep, anyone catch the part about numbers/randomness/etc at the end?  If so, please summarize.

There wasn't

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
              SW Florida
              United States
              Member #145673
              August 11, 2013
              152 Posts
              Posted: September 11, 2013, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I found the show difficult to watch too. Mainly because I hated how Abraham was being picked clean by vultures even before he was murdered. People wouldn't take no for an answer, he said, when asked about him giving away money to anyone who asked. He did not have the life skills needed to deal with such a life-changing event. He was a very vulnerable member of society and obviously had nobody to help him. I felt deep sadness at what happened to him all along, and in the end.  And then when they interviewed that maggot in prison, I couldn't take it anymore. She's one of those people that has no conscience, pure evil. I went to bed rather than give her the attention and publicity she craves. 

RIP Abraham Shakespeare.

United States
                Member #142625
                May 16, 2013
                34 Posts
                Posted: September 11, 2013, 11:21 am - IP Logged

Her interview was something else...lol
                She comes off as an arrogant sociopath.
                she came to the interview with the 20/20 guy with apparently letters from witnesses, and the reporter was like "that's your handwriting" haha
                He was awseome. and he asked her if she killed Abraham Shakespeare...she said no and started laughing, and he was like why are you laughing a man is dead .

I know how media can sometimes sway your opinion on something, but man she looks guilty.
                She totally stole that vunerable man's money and then shot him in the head.
                a sick cold blooded killer in my opinion. with no remorse.

one thing this story shows you is that if you come into a lot of money, people are immediately out to get you.
                Sad, really

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                  Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                  United States
                  Member #50210
                  March 1, 2007
                  843 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2013, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

The 1600 people who become millionaires is very misleading. The bulk of these prizes are based on annuities and/or pre-tax winnings. The media and state lotteries love to glamorize those who have won a million dollar prize as an instant millionaire. That is false as the net amount ends up being closer to half. I am willing to bet that not even 10% of these winners (160 people) have a true net worth of over $1,000,000 after claiming their prize.

Even the Publishers clearing house $10,000,000 grand prize is somewhat of a joke. The winner is paid $225,000 BEFORE taxes($150-160k after taxes) for the first 29-years with the final payment of $3,475,000 being the 30th. The winner doesn't even achieve the so called "millionaire" status until year 7...that is only if they didn't spend any of their previous 6 payments.

Bottom line, the media and lottery commission have done an excellent job into brainwashing the bulk of the general public on the actual true value of the prize.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: September 11, 2013, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Yeah that PCH prize is truly misleading by far...I heard if you take the lump payment of the 10 million you only get 2.5 million after taxes AND lottery fees...What fees?? Also the lottery commission and media can snow the every now and again player, but us hardcore lottery players already know that there is a difference between actual cash value, and the advertised cash value...LOL

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4784 Posts
                      Posted: September 11, 2013, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

The 1600 people who become millionaires is very misleading. The bulk of these prizes are based on annuities and/or pre-tax winnings. The media and state lotteries love to glamorize those who have won a million dollar prize as an instant millionaire. That is false as the net amount ends up being closer to half. I am willing to bet that not even 10% of these winners (160 people) have a true net worth of over $1,000,000 after claiming their prize.

Even the Publishers clearing house $10,000,000 grand prize is somewhat of a joke. The winner is paid $225,000 BEFORE taxes($150-160k after taxes) for the first 29-years with the final payment of $3,475,000 being the 30th. The winner doesn't even achieve the so called "millionaire" status until year 7...that is only if they didn't spend any of their previous 6 payments.

Bottom line, the media and lottery commission have done an excellent job into brainwashing the bulk of the general public on the actual true value of the prize.

I did not know the PCH payments were that bad....geee. If you ever respond to one of their emails and then stop, you get the most obnoxious emails....you are being disqualified!!! Someone else won with your numbers!!!

J'aime La France.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                        Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                        United States
                        Member #50210
                        March 1, 2007
                        843 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2013, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I did not know the PCH payments were that bad....geee. If you ever respond to one of their emails and then stop, you get the most obnoxious emails....you are being disqualified!!! Someone else won with your numbers!!!

So you think the payment plan is bad? check out the odds as I believe it's something like 1.5 billion to 1 Bash

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                          Yonkers, NY
                          United States
                          Member #127830
                          May 10, 2012
                          120 Posts
                          Posted: September 12, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, PCh is bad  and I think on one of the lottery show they had a girl they surprisd with 1 million check and all she got out of it was 250,000. On one hand the payout is crazy but I would still take it.. i'm desperate Leaving

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4784 Posts
                            Posted: September 12, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, PCh is bad  and I think on one of the lottery show they had a girl they surprisd with 1 million check and all she got out of it was 250,000. On one hand the payout is crazy but I would still take it.. i'm desperate Leaving

I remember that and then she went to work for PCH. I will never enter PCH again. I thought the odds were along the lines of PB.

J'aime La France.

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                              Yonkers, NY
                              United States
                              Member #127830
                              May 10, 2012
                              120 Posts
                              Posted: September 13, 2013, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

I remember that and then she went to work for PCH. I will never enter PCH again. I thought the odds were along the lines of PB.

Yep, that's the one.. I could not believe all she got was 25% of  1million

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)