Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why would MM risk losing people/money with new matrix?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #145267
August 1, 2013
1492 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2013, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Why would MM risk losing people/money with the new matrix in October?  More numbers to pick and higher odds of winning the jackpot, mmmmmmmm.

mightwin's avatar - questns

United States
    Member #103786
    January 5, 2011
    486 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2013, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

people are still going to play and when the jackpot reaches 300 million + , people are going to throw the same money at it as usual, heck we probably will see a billion dollar jackpot sooner than later

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19740 Posts
      Posted: September 8, 2013, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  i am still gonna play

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        Happyland
        United States
        Member #146344
        September 1, 2013
        1129 Posts
        Posted: September 8, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

Why would MM risk losing people/money with the new matrix in October?  More numbers to pick and higher odds of winning the jackpot, mmmmmmmm.

Because the lottery is increasing prizes while improving the odds of winning lower prizes. I too think eventually we will see a billion dollar jackpot. It would take 26 consecutive drawings of $100 million in sales each before we would be guaranteed of a winner.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
        If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
        P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
          Ontario
          Canada
          Member #137286
          December 31, 2012
          93 Posts
          Posted: September 8, 2013, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I read an article awhile back that normal player numbers a very low until jackpots get up into the 100 millions. Once they start getting up around 300 400 million player numbers go thru the roof. When Powerball and Mega millions Jackpot went over $500,000,000 people were lined up for hours for a chance to buy tickets, and some of those people were spending thousands of dollars for a chance to win such a large jackpot. If Mega Millions new matrix (256,000,000/1) causes the jackpot to go up to $1,000,000,000 people will just go stupid.

I'll still play my 1 ticket because it only takes 1 to win and I'm hoping my ticket will be the one! Smile

United States
            Member #145267
            August 1, 2013
            1492 Posts
            Posted: September 8, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

I guess that makes sense to wait until the jackpot is very high to play, or just play with less $$$ until the jackpot is very high.  mmmmmmmm, I guess

it would be nice to create a lottery that created more wealth for more people and not less.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: September 8, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

TBH I will be forced to play. How? well I have season tickets for 2013 and since they would not give me a refund, they basically told me I'd have to change my Mega ball because it was 45. I think I won't renew the season tickets when this set expires.

That money's gone fo ever

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4102 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2013, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

Because frankly they can get away with it. Sure you going to get people who will quit playing MM, but they look at Powerball and see that the odds did not change- their's will but they counting on people not " looking at it" they see that the price doubled for PB- theirs will not.People are still playing the game and finally they know that when the jackpot increases- people play.

They hoping people will go with the " I could be the next Millionaire" so why not put down a buck?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

The same question was asked when PB increased it prices.  You see what happen?  Players started spending more money on PB when its jackpot got larger and less on MM.  MM change just reflect the realities of lottery playing.  All those players who said they would never buy another PB tickets for $2 were liars.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #145267
                    August 1, 2013
                    1492 Posts
                    Posted: September 8, 2013, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

Do you remember if the odds changed when PB changed it's price to 2.00?

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #77815
                      August 1, 2009
                      3459 Posts
                      Posted: September 8, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

GREED!

Guess Who's Back?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10344 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2013, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

bigbear,

We've had polls here on the board about how big would a matrix be before you stopped playing and some people said there's no way they'd stop. They also said the same to a similar poll about ticket prices. In fact, many here "swore off" of Powerball when it went to $2 and $3 but got lured back in with big jackpots. Those who run the lotteries know these thingsl this all too well.

To paraphrase Field of Dreams, the lottery thinking is, "If you offer it they will play".

There also seems to be a trend with lotteries going after players who aren't quite as well informed as players on this board are.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: September 8, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

GREED!

How true.

That money's gone fo ever

Tatototman65's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg

United States
                            Member #138729
                            February 4, 2013
                            2866 Posts
                            Posted: September 8, 2013, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm one of the few who say 'boycott' and mean it. I've boycotted PB and have already boycotted MM.

Smile

Want regulated Internet gaming in your state? Got 30 SECONDS to spare?
                            MI Residents ONLY (Time is running out; ACT NOW)-
                            Click me
                            Open to EVERYONE- Click me

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                              Whiskey Island
                              United States
                              Member #90216
                              April 24, 2010
                              12727 Posts
                              Posted: September 8, 2013, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Their goes all our Methods and Etc. out the Window for Tracking game !

Once the Matrix is changed our old Methods is History .