Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why would MM risk losing people/money with new matrix?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7314 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2013, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Why would MM risk losing people/money with the new matrix in October?  More numbers to pick and higher odds of winning the jackpot, mmmmmmmm.

The difference in MM and PB is the prize for matching 5 + 0 and to add that prize and to not give even larger jackpot odds than 195 million to 1, PB raised the price of a ticket to $2. MM is changing the odds so they too can give a $1 million prize on one $1 ticket. Today if 40 MM players each buy one $1 ticket, only one of them should win a prize and it's likely to be $2 or $3. It takes 345 groups of 40 $1 players just to expect one of them to win $150. By lowering the number of bonus numbers more players will win a prize. If you're playing just for the jackpot twice a week, what are odds of winning one in the next 175 million years?

Because you're discussing the odds of winning, the MM jackpot will be 259 million to 1 for a $1 ticket; will the odds of winning the MM with two $1 tickets be that much worse than the odds of one $2 PB tickets?

Romancandle's avatar - moon
    Upacreek
    United States
    Member #136306
    December 8, 2012
    428 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2013, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

Because it will most likely work... fools don't conjure these business plans up.

When the JP hits 1 billion... even most who have sworn against these new impossible odds will most likely wager a $1 for a shot at it.

That's why

-RC

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7314 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2013, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Because it will most likely work... fools don't conjure these business plans up.

When the JP hits 1 billion... even most who have sworn against these new impossible odds will most likely wager a $1 for a shot at it.

That's why

MM had a starting jackpot of about $400 million in March, 2012, 652 million tickets were sold, and a $656 million jackpot was won. The tickets will still be $1 and though the odds are increased to 259 million to 1, how would that create a $1 billion jackpot when 652 million in sales didn't even come close?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4108 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

MM had a starting jackpot of about $400 million in March, 2012, 652 million tickets were sold, and a $656 million jackpot was won. The tickets will still be $1 and though the odds are increased to 259 million to 1, how would that create a $1 billion jackpot when 652 million in sales didn't even come close?

You made a typo Stack. No jackpot starts at $400 million- salivating amount but unrealistic.

Sacramento, CA
          United States
          Member #142454
          May 12, 2013
          66 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2013, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

I think Stack meant the initially advertised jackpot for the record 3/30/2102 MM was $400 mil and was increased a few times during the frenzy from $400 to $650 mil for the $656 mil 'actual' JP. Which is accurate as I recall.

Marana AZ
            United States
            Member #145341
            August 3, 2013
            178 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2013, 12:26 am - IP Logged

When the PB price went to $2, I didn't stop buying tickets. I just started buying half as many as I used to.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7314 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2013, 2:00 am - IP Logged

I think Stack meant the initially advertised jackpot for the record 3/30/2102 MM was $400 mil and was increased a few times during the frenzy from $400 to $650 mil for the $656 mil 'actual' JP. Which is accurate as I recall.

Thanks for the clarification. There was a 191 million tickets sold for the previous advertised $363 million jackpot drawing. I believe that is the record for the most wagered on one drawing without the jackpot being won.

Using that as a yard stick and the unlikely chance of 652 million in ticket sales not producing a jackpot winner, the next drawing would be over $1 billion. Only time will tell if it's possible for the new 5/75 + 1/15 to reach $1 billion.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2013, 3:10 am - IP Logged

I'm one of the few who say 'boycott' and mean it. I've boycotted PB and have already boycotted MM.

Smile

I'm one of the few who say 'boycott' and mean it. I've boycotted PB and have already boycotted MM.

Few is the key word, they don't what the few does, they only care what the many do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2013, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

Do you remember if the odds changed when PB changed it's price to 2.00?

PB started by raising the odds to about 1 in 210 million and keeping the price at $1. The results apparently made then unhappy, because it wasn't long before they reduced the odds to 1 in 175 million, but doubled the ticket price to $2.

I can only assume that the people making decisons at MM are morons, since they've got a game that is selling poorly compared to PB and they're raisng the ods  even more than PB did in what was apparently an unsuccessful effort to fix a game that wasn't really broken. Perhaps they're hoping that even if sales start out slow they'll make up for it by the larger jackpots that will eventaully result from the steep odds, but the average PB jackpot will remain bigger despite the lower odds because  PB puts twice as much money into the jackpot for each ticket they sell.

My guess is that MM will eventually do exactly what PB did - reduce the odds and double the ticket price. As with PB, it will reduce the total number of tickets sold, but not by enough to offset the extra $1 collected for every ticket they do sell.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: September 10, 2013, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Why would MM risk losing people/money with the new matrix in October?  More numbers to pick and higher odds of winning the jackpot, mmmmmmmm.

Go run a poll of people buying tickets. Ask them if they know how much the odds will change with the new matrix. Almost all won't know and very few will care.

The main reason? You have to beat really high odds already, so there's really not much of a difference. A majority just don't care about the odds and instead look at how much the jackpot is.

Personally I'll still play, granted I do only play $1 per draw, so it really isn't much.

United States
                      Member #145267
                      August 1, 2013
                      1528 Posts
                      Posted: September 10, 2013, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Yes! KY Floyd, If I was running MM that's what I would do " lower the odds or keep the odds the same and raise the price to 2.00

For those of us that have been playing our own numbers for years and years this is a problem.  I think I'm going on mmmmm  15 years+ of playing the same numbers.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: September 11, 2013, 12:39 am - IP Logged

PB started by raising the odds to about 1 in 210 million and keeping the price at $1. The results apparently made then unhappy, because it wasn't long before they reduced the odds to 1 in 175 million, but doubled the ticket price to $2.

I can only assume that the people making decisons at MM are morons, since they've got a game that is selling poorly compared to PB and they're raisng the ods  even more than PB did in what was apparently an unsuccessful effort to fix a game that wasn't really broken. Perhaps they're hoping that even if sales start out slow they'll make up for it by the larger jackpots that will eventaully result from the steep odds, but the average PB jackpot will remain bigger despite the lower odds because  PB puts twice as much money into the jackpot for each ticket they sell.

My guess is that MM will eventually do exactly what PB did - reduce the odds and double the ticket price. As with PB, it will reduce the total number of tickets sold, but not by enough to offset the extra $1 collected for every ticket they do sell.

"My guess is that MM will eventually do exactly what PB did - reduce the odds and double the ticket price."

I Agree!

What better way is there to justify raising the ticket price in the future than raise the odds, complain about poor sales and lower the odds and raise the price. Do you think their long term plan is to raise the ticket price to $3?

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: September 11, 2013, 12:43 am - IP Logged

TBH I will be forced to play. How? well I have season tickets for 2013 and since they would not give me a refund, they basically told me I'd have to change my Mega ball because it was 45. I think I won't renew the season tickets when this set expires.

What is your obsession with ugly avatars?

Good luck with your subscription.

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: September 11, 2013, 12:46 am - IP Logged

bigbear,

We've had polls here on the board about how big would a matrix be before you stopped playing and some people said there's no way they'd stop. They also said the same to a similar poll about ticket prices. In fact, many here "swore off" of Powerball when it went to $2 and $3 but got lured back in with big jackpots. Those who run the lotteries know these thingsl this all too well.

To paraphrase Field of Dreams, the lottery thinking is, "If you offer it they will play".

There also seems to be a trend with lotteries going after players who aren't quite as well informed as players on this board are.

"Ease their Pain"

United States
                              Member #124493
                              March 14, 2012
                              7023 Posts
                              Posted: September 11, 2013, 12:57 am - IP Logged

Few is the key word, they don't what the few does, they only care what the many do.

What are you???

The SOCRATES of Lottery?

Group Hug