$245 MILLION: Powerball jackpot up for grabs

Sep 9, 2013, 9:48 am (53 comments)

Powerball

By Todd Northrop

There was no jackpot winner in the Saturday night drawing of the multi-state Powerball lottery game, causing the grand prize to increase to an estimated $245 million for Wednesday's drawing.

Saturday was the 9th consecutive drawing without a jackpot winner.  The jackpot run started August 10 as a $40 million jackpot.

The estimated cash value for the new jackpot is $136.3 million. After-tax cash and annuity prize amounts are reported state-by-state on the Jackpot Analysis page at USA Mega, a web site devoted to the Powerball and Mega Millions multi-state lottery games.

Players should note that jackpot amounts are conservative estimates provided by the lotteries, and are often somewhat higher by the time the drawing occurs.  For example, the original estimate for Saturday's drawing was $203 million, but by the time all the proceeds were counted just before draw-time, the jackpot had swelled to $208 million.

Although there were no jackpot winners Saturday, 4 lucky players matched the first 5 numbers for a $1,000,000 prize: 2 from Illinois, 1 from Michigan, and 1 from New Mexico.

Only one of the second-prize winners purchased the Power Play option — one of the tickets sold in Illinois. Because that ticket was purchased with the Power Play option, their second-prize win is automatically doubled to $2 million.

Power Play is not available in California, because the fixed nature of the prize increase offered in Power Play is not compatible with California's pari-mutuel payouts. By law, California awards all prizes on a pari-mutuel basis, meaning the prizes will change each drawing based on the number of tickets sold and the number of tickets that won at each prize level.

55 tickets matched four white numbers plus the Powerball and won $10,000. Of those tickets, 5 were purchased with the Power Play option, increasing the prize to $40,000, and 9 of the tickets were sold in California, where the prize was worth $6,165 this drawing. 

The Powerball winning numbers for Saturday, September 7, were 2, 19, 22, 26, and 45, with Powerball number 24.

Following the Saturday drawing, the Powerball annuity jackpot estimate was raised $37 million from its previous amount of $208 million. The cash value was raised by $18 million from its previous amount of $118.3 million.

The next Powerball drawing will take place Wednesday night at 10:59 pm Eastern Time.

When a Powerball ticket is purchased with the Power Play option for an extra $1 per ticket, any non-jackpot prize is increased according to a fixed prize schedule, which can be found on the Powerball Drawing Detail page at USA Mega, as well as on the Powerball Prize Payouts page at Lottery Post.

Powerball is now played in 43 states, plus the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Drawings are Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10:59 pm Eastern Time. Tickets cost $2 each.

A 44th Powerball state will be added in early 2014, as the state of Wyoming has approved a new state lottery with the intention of joining Powerball and other multi-state lottery games. (See Wyoming officially becomes 44th state with a lottery, Lottery Post, Mar. 14, 2013.)

The Powerball winning numbers are published at USA Mega (www.usamega.com) minutes after the drawing takes place.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone from New York won this on 9-11?

IamTheWinner

Drum  I get winning ticket. Party

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Sep 9, 2013

Roll Eyesyou just had to go thar didn't ya.....

CLETU$

No need to hold a silly drawing.Just put the money in my bank account.I'll send you the routing number.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Good Luck to all players

gocart1's avatargocart1

I wouldn't say no to this..Very sad day for everyone in the USA.Never Forget  9-11

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

It's more money than I know what to do with but I'm in!!

Powerball $245M

Pita Maha's avatarPita Maha

That's just over 100 million bucks! Whoa, that'd be real nice.

Quote: Originally posted by gocart1 on Sep 9, 2013

I wouldn't say no to this..Very sad day for everyone in the USA.Never Forget  9-11

I was actually in Manhattan doing an internship during that time so yes it was extremely sad. I lost many friends on that day.

Quote: Originally posted by golfer1960 on Sep 9, 2013

It's more money than I know what to do with but I'm in!!

Powerball $245M

Hey golfer! If you're the lucky sole winner, a net amount of $70 million after all Federal and state tax obligations are satisfied should be a little bit easier to handle Wink Good luck to you!

easygoing123go

Does anyone think it will roll to $280 Million by Wednesday..Big Smile

Hey golfer! If you're the lucky sole winner, a net amount of $70 million after all Federal and state tax obligations are satisfied should be a little bit easier to handle Wink Good luck to you!

Hi Jill, nice to see you again. Let's see $70M is nice but still lots of money. After buying a few big ticket items and setting up an income stream not sure how I'd spend it. Could you help me out with that? Wink

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

I am hoping for a Party in Pennsylvania on 9/12

Dance

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

LOL ...........

Here in Pennsylvania it would be about $83,000,000 !

Sun Smiley

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Come to me pretty, sole-ticket-won-Powerball jackpot. See Ya!

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

With the new healthcare laws taking effect in 2014 and with it, ^^higher taxes^^, I am hoping I win something before 2013 is over.                        13 is my fav number so I think I deserve to win something. Something BIG.

LottoPerro

Them or DC?

noise-gate

California us due for its FIRST PB win....l am going to leave it at that.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

I think it would be great and it would bring a smile to many people. Never forget (but feel free to forget the poster who said you "had to go there"  How bizarre. I got a strange ranting pm from him when I mentioned the DC sniper one time).

Let's aim for a win for NY or DC/VA or Pennsylvania.

noise-gate

Quote: Originally posted by noise-gate on Sep 9, 2013

California us due for its FIRST PB win....l am going to leave it at that.

Is- Us, same thing.
Apparently l did not leave it at that.

Party

RJOh's avatarRJOh

It would be even more ironic if I won it since I seldom play since the tickets prices went up to $2.

veganlife125's avatarveganlife125

That was quick on your feet Jill.  However, what if the winner turns out to be a muslim?  Brian Williams would have a lead story when they came forward.

Artist77's avatarArtist77

Quote: Originally posted by veganlife125 on Sep 9, 2013

That was quick on your feet Jill.  However, what if the winner turns out to be a muslim?  Brian Williams would have a lead story when they came forward.

A muslim taxi driver gave a ride to myself and 3 other women as we were trying to get out of DC on 9-11 (just after the Pentagon was hit). It was the absolute last taxi that I saw stop for anyone that day.

megan81's avatarmegan81

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Sep 9, 2013

Roll Eyesyou just had to go thar didn't ya.....

Right!

megan81's avatarmegan81

Just to confirm--the Powerball odds are based on the number of possible combinations, right?

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

$245 Million BananaDanceWhite Bounce

ashabug725's avatarashabug725

Quote: Originally posted by easygoing123go on Sep 9, 2013

Does anyone think it will roll to $280 Million by Wednesday..Big Smile

Doubt it... The frenzy hasn't hit yet

IamTheWinner

Quote: Originally posted by Artist77 on Sep 9, 2013

I think it would be great and it would bring a smile to many people. Never forget (but feel free to forget the poster who said you "had to go there"  How bizarre. I got a strange ranting pm from him when I mentioned the DC sniper one time).

Let's aim for a win for NY or DC/VA or Pennsylvania.

Virginian and I will be winner Crazy

Abdi's avatarAbdi

my guess is the jackpot will reach $ 300M TOMMOROW

sully16's avatarsully16

Good luck everyone

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

There are 195 million combinations in Powerball, and the odds are 1 in 175 million

Goteki54's avatarGoteki54

I'll buy my ticket tommorow. Some of my idiot co workers said that they were going to buy their tickets in the county. I just rolled my eyes and sighed.Bash

CLETU$

Quote: Originally posted by Goteki54 on Sep 10, 2013

I'll buy my ticket tommorow. Some of my idiot co workers said that they were going to buy their tickets in the county. I just rolled my eyes and sighed.Bash

What's wrong with buying their tickets in the county?

rcbbuckeye's avatarrcbbuckeye

There are 195 million combinations in Powerball, and the odds are 1 in 175 million

175,223,510 combos, and the odds are 1 in 175,223,510.

Arrowhead's avatarArrowhead

Sure, got a couple PB tickets, but really eyeing 45.8 mil Ohio Classic Lotto and the better odds.Yes Nod

Anfang71

Alright niiiice.

Hey, Good luck to all! Hope its Me...or/and someone else from this here board!

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Sep 10, 2013

Sure, got a couple PB tickets, but really eyeing 45.8 mil Ohio Classic Lotto and the better odds.Yes Nod

You won't have to look back very far to see all the winning numbers since all 49 have hit in the last 24 drawings.  I may pick up a PB ticket since it's 9/11 but I'm putting most of my money on Classic Lotto too.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 10, 2013

You won't have to look back very far to see all the winning numbers since all 49 have hit in the last 24 drawings.  I may pick up a PB ticket since it's 9/11 but I'm putting most of my money on Classic Lotto too.

I'll be good for at least five Classic tickets, already got the two PB, and make the four-mile drive into Michigan for a Classic 47 ducat. Good luck, RJ...

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by CLETU$ on Sep 10, 2013

What's wrong with buying their tickets in the county?

I was wonderin' that my ownself.

I think you're pretty much in a county wherever you go.

Maybe he goes to Looziana and gets 'em in a parish.

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Sep 11, 2013

I was wonderin' that my ownself.

I think you're pretty much in a county wherever you go.

Maybe he goes to Looziana and gets 'em in a parish.

LOL I had a sleepless night but this just made my morning! Big Grin

Quote: Originally posted by Anfang71 on Sep 10, 2013

Alright niiiice.

Hey, Good luck to all! Hope its Me...or/and someone else from this here board!

Hey Anfang, are you really in Japan? How do you play Powerball from Japan?

IamTheWinner

she/he might bought ticket through online.

mightwin's avatarmightwin

Quote: Originally posted by Arrowhead on Sep 10, 2013

How long has the jackpot for Classic Lotto been rolling now? Seems like forever....lol

LottoMetro's avatarLottoMetro

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Sep 11, 2013

How long has the jackpot for Classic Lotto been rolling now? Seems like forever....lol

This last drawing was #275 in the roll. It started in 2011, on the day I had alcohol poisoning Cheers

Believe it or not, there is only about a 81% chance of a winner having appeared in prior (null) or next drawing.

Simba774

Everyone who wins the lottery should wear a permanent smile on their faces.

weshar75's avatarweshar75

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Sep 11, 2013

I agree.  I would be one happy guy if I won powerball tonight.-weshar75

US Flag

Quote: Originally posted by Simba774 on Sep 11, 2013

Smiling may be be hard especially if someone has had too much Botox.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Sep 10, 2013

If I'd played in between numbers from my quikpick things would be lining up with the drawn numbers. I first played Classic Lotto with the intent to stay in it until the next jackpot was hit. It took about a year and I won nothing significant. I sure was glad to move onto other games. I may still keep playing until next jackpot but my heart isn't in it 100%.

Quote: Originally posted by mightwin on Sep 11, 2013

Kicked over again tonight...even $46 mil for Saturday...LOL

Party1377

I was actually in Manhattan doing an internship during that time so yes it was extremely sad. I lost many friends on that day.

I was a kid shooting a TV Show or Movie on a beach in NJ right near NY you could see everything from the beach. The directors or Producers husbent was going to be in the World Trade Center that day. It was crazy they kept all the kids away from the TV. Will never forget that day.

By the way seems people here think they will take more taxes then they will. 25% Fed right away. State taxes even the most NJ is was 11% close to that. How much more do they take?

Anyway the person in PA who said we will have a winner hope you are right. And it's me LOL

Simba774

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Sep 11, 2013

Smiling may be be hard especially if someone has had too much Botox.

Botox. Killing one emotion at a time.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Party$317 Million powerball for Saturday Party

jamella724

I don't know what to do with this huge amount of prize if I win the jackpot prize. I'm pretty sure a lot of lottery players are aiming to hit this huge jackpot prize $245 million. Winning in powerball is really difficult but once you hit the jackpot it's worth it!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story