Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you react seeing your numbers on the screen?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Uff Da!.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #146988
September 18, 2013
2 Posts
Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

You're sitting at home and it's time for the powerball drawing with a whopping jackpot of $400 million. (Or you check it on the computer later, doesn't matter)

Anyway, how would you feel as you see your numbers roll on the screen or see them later on the computer? How would you react? Who would you call? Who would you tell? What is going to go on through your mind as you see those numbers on the screen match your ticket? And you see that the glorious jackpot belongs to you? Would you even be able to sleep?

How would you feel the next day? How protective of the ticket will you be? Will you feel paranoid of losing the ticket?

Discuss.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

You're sitting at home and it's time for the powerball drawing with a whopping jackpot of $400 million. (Or you check it on the computer later, doesn't matter)

Anyway, how would you feel as you see your numbers roll on the screen or see them later on the computer? How would you react? Who would you call? Who would you tell? What is going to go on through your mind as you see those numbers on the screen match your ticket? And you see that the glorious jackpot belongs to you? Would you even be able to sleep?

How would you feel the next day? How protective of the ticket will you be? Will you feel paranoid of losing the ticket?

Discuss.

first off id do a little jig lol...then comes the seriousness, id get my advisors together and then go from there

United States
      Member #143211
      May 27, 2013
      2020 Posts
      Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

First, I would cry and say THANK YOU DEAR GOD I I then will call my lawyer and tell him get the best advisors on this. I will tell no one not even family until I know what I must do .

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3095 Posts
        Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I would cry and laugh and then jump up and down and tell my mother so she could do the same.-weshar75

US Flag

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19901 Posts
          Posted: September 18, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I once made a mistake when checking my numbers on my computer and thought I had matched 6of6 in the local 6/49 game winning the jackpot so the first thing I would do now is recheck everything including several websites to make sure I hadn't made a mistake.

I've seen 5of6 of my numbers on my computer screen and after double checking everything I signed the ticket and went to the retailer the next morning to verify my ticket and fill out the claim form to take to the closest authorized bank to collect my winnings.

Matching 5+0 or 5+1 in one of the multi-state games would require even more caution since such a winning ticket would have to be verified at a regional office and the closest one is sixty miles away.  Being single, I wouldn't tell anyone, I would sign my winning ticket and try to get a good night sleep and maybe head to the regional office after I had spent a few days thinking about my options or maybe even seeking some professional advice.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1131 Posts
            Posted: September 18, 2013, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

I think I would react the same way as the first time I won $50 on a ticket in a lotto drawing. I just laughed.

I definitely wouldn't tell anyone, because then I might start feeling paranoid. I would probably not sleep that night, but I have insomnia anyways Big Grin

I would go to the bank as soon as it opens the next morning and put the ticket in a safe deposit box. I think I would wait to claim it for at least a month, or until the excitement dies down. That would also give me time to plan my getaway.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
              nc
              United States
              Member #99520
              October 26, 2010
              375 Posts
              Posted: September 18, 2013, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

It was the strangest feeling to watch thby numbers come up on the cs careen the night I matched the first 4 numbers out f the six.   Number 5 was off by one digit.   Powerball was nowhere near the number.   My mouth dropped open and was stunned for a moment.   For all six numbers, would be very overwhelmed, and would have to sit down. 

May your dreams come true!

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                Texas Panhandle
                United States
                Member #136843
                December 20, 2012
                1409 Posts
                Posted: September 18, 2013, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I always check my numbers online.  Several years ago my connection was down on a Saturday night and I went to a nearby convenience store to get the winning numbers.  They printed out a slip for me and I brought it home, sat down at the computer and saw the connection was back up.  I navigated to the official lottery site, grabbed my playslip and checked the numbers....got one, got two...three, four, five and the sixth!  I was rich!  Best feeling in the world! (well, except for that time when I was 17 yrs. old....) Then....

Yep, you guessed it.  I was checking the winning number slip I had got at the store.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
                 - George Orwell

shirbird's avatar - oliana
                  spout spring va.
                  United States
                  Member #73235
                  April 9, 2009
                  1296 Posts
                  Posted: September 18, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

i would grab my chest and fall to my knees and thank god then i would check the number and recheck the number before i tell a family member so i want look crazy if wrong....

sully16's avatar - sharan
                    Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    42154 Posts
                    Posted: September 18, 2013, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

I think I would be in shock and would keep checking the numbers over and over.

HyperBe Happy.

Sacramento, CA
                      United States
                      Member #142454
                      May 12, 2013
                      66 Posts
                      Posted: September 18, 2013, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

Count me in for checking and rechecking, but I had a teacher in high school whose wife hit 4+1 on Lotto America, winning $10k (I think it was something like that, but it was 20 years ago) and the first thing she did was tell him he was stupid because he said she'd never win a thing and look! She won!

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                        North Carolina
                        United States
                        Member #64582
                        September 1, 2008
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: September 18, 2013, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I would check several sites to make sure the numbers were right. Never hurts!

Before putting it in a safe deposit box, I would make 2 copies of the ticket - and put one of the copies in a safe deposit box in a different bank. 

I'd assemble my financial planner, my accountant, and my tax preparer to start my LLC so I can claim anonymously. 

Then I'd claim it probably a couple months later since it takes a while for the LLC to go through.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6305 Posts
                          Posted: September 19, 2013, 6:54 am - IP Logged

I would Thudfaint.

welcome to the LPThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

London
                            United Kingdom
                            Member #140684
                            March 24, 2013
                            566 Posts
                            Posted: September 19, 2013, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't be able to sleep haha,

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              San Diego, CA
                              United States
                              Member #112369
                              June 17, 2011
                              187 Posts
                              Posted: September 19, 2013, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I always check my numbers online.  Several years ago my connection was down on a Saturday night and I went to a nearby convenience store to get the winning numbers.  They printed out a slip for me and I brought it home, sat down at the computer and saw the connection was back up.  I navigated to the official lottery site, grabbed my playslip and checked the numbers....got one, got two...three, four, five and the sixth!  I was rich!  Best feeling in the world! (well, except for that time when I was 17 yrs. old....) Then....

Yep, you guessed it.  I was checking the winning number slip I had got at the store.

Mike,

I did the same thing way back when I first started playing the lottery.  I accidently cross-checked the winning numbers from the newspaper against the winning number slip and went through that exact same procedure: "One number, cool; two numbers, wow; three numbers, holy cow..."

And though it happened 25 years ago, I still remember the feeling, which I imagine would be the way I'd feel if I actually did win.  It was a mixture of happiness, shock, and disbelief.

To that last point, Sully, I did what you described: I kept checking the numbers over and over, and of course they matched, but I couldn't check them enough times because it seemed so unreal.  Now I know why.

Thankfully, I realized what I had done before I announced it to anybody ("Mr, Marshall, I quit this job, and you are a bum!") and I've never brought a winning number slip home again.

Like you said, it's the best (or close second) feeling in the world.

I'd like to get back, Jack, do it again.  But for real next time.  As Chris Cooper said to Matt Damon in a key "Bourne Identity" scene, "This isn't a drill, soldier; this is real-time."