Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery: A non-zero probability of deception?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Saylorgirl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #147311
September 28, 2013
3 Posts
Posted: September 28, 2013, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

I have a sneaky suspicion about the stochastic nature of the lottery.

I don't whish to be polemic, but why do they close it 15 minutes or so before the draw? Are they waiting for the supercomputer to spit-out all the combinations thus far played and then somehow manipulate the balls into a deterministic outcome? What say you?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19771 Posts
    Posted: September 28, 2013, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

I don't whish to be polemic, but why do they close it 15 minutes or so before the draw? Are they waiting for the supercomputer to spit-out all the combinations thus far played and then somehow manipulate the balls into a deterministic outcome? What say you?

Idea i think lottery terminals should be open 24/7 that way we can go anytime and get some more Lottery tickets and they can make more money.

Let it Snow Snowman

Lucki723's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #62713
      July 6, 2008
      3715 Posts
      Posted: September 28, 2013, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

I truly Believe this is what they do. I am not trying to start a conspiracy theory. But I always thought the same. 

Keep moving Forward.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: September 28, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Shut off times are to prevent any possible collusion. In any form of gambling the houses' first rule is to protect the game.

Much attemtpoed cheating is by means of past posting, that is trying to get the bet down after the decision has been made or the results are in. This is very common in roulette, players work in teams, try and create a diverson to distract the dealer and floor person, then one of the team puts chips on the number that juist hit. It sould be a real trick to try and do something like that with lotto but there are undoubtedly clods who would try.

Besides, the terminals union say they deserve a couple of breaks a day.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: September 28, 2013, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

With those astronomical odds stacked against a person winning, they don't have to be sneaky. The high odds do all the dirty work. Big Grin

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: September 28, 2013, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

Idea i think lottery terminals should be open 24/7 that way we can go anytime and get some more Lottery tickets and they can make more money.

Any time I've gone to any of the 24/7 gas stations I could buy lottery tickets for any games they sold.  It's just that the terminals switched over to the next drawing for PB an hour before the drawing and 15 mins. before the next drawing for the rest.  Winning tickets can't be verified until the next day after a drawing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: September 28, 2013, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

When tickets could be brought up to five minutes before the drawing, players were watching the drawings and then buying a winning ticket and complaining the the terminal clock was five minutes off and they actual brought their tickets before the drawing.  An earlier cut-off time solved that problem.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Marana AZ
                United States
                Member #145341
                August 3, 2013
                178 Posts
                Posted: September 28, 2013, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I have a sneaky suspicion about sneaky suspicions. What plausible reason would the lottery have for manipulating the results? To keep winners from hitting the jackpot every drawing and thus costing the lottery more in payouts?

United States
                  Member #132100
                  August 26, 2012
                  1076 Posts
                  Posted: September 28, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

It doesn't have to be a "Super computer" any computer can give to them all the numbers that were already bought.

As to they "manipulating the balls", I don't know if it is possible, but it seems to me that to them it might be possible, as impossible as that seems to be.

I don't trust any of the gambling places no matter what and where so what I say about that doesn't count.

United States
                    Member #141260
                    April 9, 2013
                    1390 Posts
                    Posted: September 28, 2013, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Lotterys are business with quotos.  I dont play. The first week or last week of the month...

Durning these times the states are building up their monthly profits and maintaining them

Cant take da heat. Stay out da kitchen

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: September 28, 2013, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

You can certainly postulate about the stochastic nature of the lottery and it's deterministic potential but you didn't have to get polemic about it! P***ed

United States
                        Member #147311
                        September 28, 2013
                        3 Posts
                        Posted: October 5, 2013, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

All replies make interesting and valid points. I have a few questions for any of you: When one wins the lottery ( I'm in California) and the federal taxes are taken from the prize, it is my understanding based on what I've read on here that you still owe the gov. another 20% (?) on you next income tax do to some tax bracket? Is this correct? Now, if I were to stash the money in a regular account (meaning a non-investment account) and kept living in a rental apartment with no other source of income but the lottery winnings, is it safe to say that I woudn't have to do any more income tax for the rest of my life (excluding that first year, of course)?

CHERRY HILL, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #130213
                          July 9, 2012
                          387 Posts
                          Posted: October 5, 2013, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I wish I can invent a lottery drawing machine.

It would work like the expensive showers rich people have. It will have multiple air vents forcing ALL the balls to float in the air for a while. Then at a specific time, all vents would shut off and all the balls would fall. Gravity will capture the winner in a hole at the bottom of the sphere.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3103 Posts
                            Posted: October 5, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

All replies make interesting and valid points. I have a few questions for any of you: When one wins the lottery ( I'm in California) and the federal taxes are taken from the prize, it is my understanding based on what I've read on here that you still owe the gov. another 20% (?) on you next income tax do to some tax bracket? Is this correct? Now, if I were to stash the money in a regular account (meaning a non-investment account) and kept living in a rental apartment with no other source of income but the lottery winnings, is it safe to say that I woudn't have to do any more income tax for the rest of my life (excluding that first year, of course)?

I'm not a tax expert, however in my opinion if you had earnings of $100,000. and won a million and took it in a lump sum and they took out taxes before you got the check, at the end of the year you would owe taxes on $1,100,000. less the difference of what was already paid.

If you took the million as 50,000. a year for 20 years, each year you would owe taxes on 50,000. plus any other income.

If your winnings produce no further income, no interest, no inverstments, then that would be it I would think.

BobP

milan
                              United States
                              Member #147549
                              October 5, 2013
                              4 Posts
                              Posted: October 5, 2013, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

First time on this form. have issues with Lottery games here in Iowa. I'm thinking a long the lines that this system is corroupted seriously. woud you agree?

played for more then 30ty years. not one good pick or winning numbers.......