Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$20 Scratch Off Tickets

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by LottoMomma.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: September 30, 2013, 8:01 am - IP Logged

Anyone know what the odds are of getting your money back or more if you bought a whole roll of $20 scratch off tickets?  I see the odds are 1 in 2.95 on average..but am curious if anyone has ever done this and how they made out?  I hear the $20 scratch off tickets have better payouts? Any thoughts?

LottoMomma

See Ya!

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: September 30, 2013, 8:05 am - IP Logged

Anyone know what the odds are of getting your money back or more if you bought a whole roll of $20 scratch off tickets?  I see the odds are 1 in 2.95 on average..but am curious if anyone has ever done this and how they made out?  I hear the $20 scratch off tickets have better payouts? Any thoughts?

LottoMomma

See Ya!

Ive been itching to try it myself, but I dont have that kind of disposable income LOL...If I ever won a jackpot though I'd be doing alot of scratch-off playing especially the kind you're talking about...I'd probably only play the draw games when the pots get over 300 million or so

Michigan
      United States
      Member #100025
      November 4, 2010
      158 Posts
      Posted: September 30, 2013, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I was thinking of doing this with another friend and then whatever we won we would split?  (if we could be so lucky) Only problem with that of course is what is the chance you're "both" going to break even??  Then again if you don't at least the loss is only half!

The other thought is where to buy the winning roll.. if I lived in FL I would certainly buy at the local Publix grocery store since that seems to be where it seems most the Big lottery ticket and most BIG scratch off winners in FL come from, from what I hear.  LOL

Illinois
        United States
        Member #81391
        October 17, 2009
        24 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2013, 8:32 am - IP Logged

i have done it twice.  both times, just less than 50% payback.  i have a friend who has done it twice as well, he hit a 10k winner on one roll, otherwise, almost the same odds (less than 50%).

you are playing for that ONE big ticket - otherwise you just get lost in the odds.

i seem to do better just buying 3 at a time of each game.

it is fun and worth trying if you can.  best of luck!

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5595 Posts
          Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I dont know if MI posts the info or not. In TX, the website tells the minimum guarantee payout on each pack of scratch tics. It will run between 40% and 50% of the cost of the pack depending on the game.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
            Happyland
            United States
            Member #146344
            September 1, 2013
            1129 Posts
            Posted: September 30, 2013, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I think the better odds come from there being fewer tickets in a pack. Generally the higher the cost, the fewer the tickets. For instance, say there are only 20 tickets in a roll. If 10 of them are winners, the lottery could advertise odds of 1 in 2. But if 10 of them only add up to $200 in winnings, and the cost is $20 per ticket, then the payout would only be 50%. Likewise, a roll could have 40 tickets, cost $10 each, feature 10 winners (odds of 1 in 4), and guaranteed $225 in winnings. In that case the payout would be 56.25% even though the odds are worse.

With that in mind, I have seen $20 scratchers with "guaranteed" payouts that are actually LESS than those in lower priced games. Since the majority of packs only have the minimum guaranteed payout, in general you will fare better with those that have the highest values.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
            If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
            P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
              Massachusetts
              United States
              Member #37433
              April 14, 2006
              2747 Posts
              Posted: September 30, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

I see the odds are 1 in 2.95 on average.

What you should remember is that the odds provided are overrall odds and only apply when all tickets printed are sold. People who conduct the scratch ticket experiment and buy $100 worth of the $2 scratch tickets say that most of the times the return is about 38% of the money invested. I wish you good luck if you go for it.

That money's gone fo ever

Michigan
                United States
                Member #100025
                November 4, 2010
                158 Posts
                Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Good points here.. LottoMetro. 

I know $20 pack here in MI is 20 tickets for $400.00.  I did buy a $20 scratch off earlier this Spring.. last ticket on the roll in fact and it was a $200 winner.. you just never know if that was the ONLY big winner on the roll.  And you are gambling that that roll you bought has a MAJOR winner of some sort. Reason for thinking of a partner!

You really think there may be half winners in a pack?  I know the lady who runs the local party store here, says her biggest winners are the $10 and $20 tickets and the $20 dollar tickets are almost a minimum $20  win.. (according to her) but of course her job is to sell tickets! LOL 

My mom lives in FL and the local Publix grocery store sold the Black Diamond $10 scratch off earlier this year.  Little old couple comes in everyday and buys $40 in scratch offs.  After doing so, he leaves one $10 scratch on the Black Diamond roll. Says to wife.. should we buy last one, seems shame to leave it... she says "NO" .. we have our $40 alottment for the day.

So, they leave.. next young couple comes in, buys last ticket on the Black Diamond roll that the old couple left behind and it is $500,000 winner.  Got story direct from Mom who patronizes that store all the time to buy her tickets.. what luck huh? LOL

Guess it might be more fun to dream than to spend the dough and risk the loss and wonder "what if"???? 

See Ya!

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                  Happyland
                  United States
                  Member #146344
                  September 1, 2013
                  1129 Posts
                  Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I was just using that as an example. If you contact the lottery they can tell you the maximum number of winners per pack for a particular game (if they won't tell you then file an open records request). Here, a typical 25 ticket roll of $20 games will feature a maximum 10 winners. When I buy one ticket from a roll I use this number to decide if it is worth buying more on the same roll. Obviously if you're buying an entire new roll then this won't matter.

In general I do find the higher priced tickets have better returns, although that is not a concrete rule. Once I bought $300 in $20 tickets and lost on all of them. Another time I bought a ton and only lost a couple times. It's crazy lol. If I had a choice I probably would find a partner and just split the cost/loss/wins. Since you are more than likely to lose, you could reduce your drawdown that way.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
                  If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2016: -48.28% (13 tickets) ||
                  P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                    Jacksonville Florida
                    United States
                    Member #23018
                    October 6, 2005
                    917 Posts
                    Posted: September 30, 2013, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

The vast majority of books or rolls of tickets return between 40% to 60% of what you paid. Another way to put it is you will probably lose between 60% and 40% of what you paid to get the book or roll. If you get real lucky, you may get a big winner. But you can also get lucky on one ticket and get a big winner without wasting between $300 and $1000 on a book or roll.

Romancandle's avatar - moon
                      Upacreek
                      United States
                      Member #136306
                      December 8, 2012
                      428 Posts
                      Posted: September 30, 2013, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

Good Advice duckman.

Another question to ask yourself... how much can you afford to lose? 

Nothing wrong with being optimistic that you'll hit that big winner, but that notion is exactly what fuels this multi billion $ scratcher industry. Even if you get 50% back, you still may lose $100 splitting the pot with a friend.

I suggest you troll the scratcher forum... some folks have posted their results from purchasing entire rolls... although I can't recall any posts at the $20 price point.

-RC

Japan
                        Member #131605
                        August 14, 2012
                        372 Posts
                        Posted: October 1, 2013, 4:43 am - IP Logged

odds an scratchers...ehh

I think in florida the odds to win 200k a year is 3million, the odds to win the 5,000 a week for life is 6million, I think because you get more money after all taxes are out if you win the 5,000 a week one

United States
                          Member #125918
                          March 31, 2012
                          362 Posts
                          Posted: October 1, 2013, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Well Richard Lustig has done just that he buys a stack of scratchers and this is how he hits the jackpot... I be shocked of he won another jackpot making him a 8 time lottery winner in history ever..

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                            Yonkers, NY
                            United States
                            Member #127830
                            May 10, 2012
                            120 Posts
                            Posted: October 1, 2013, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I have done better on the $20.00 scratch outs than any other...  Twice I won 500.00 and couple of times won 100.00-200.00.. To me the odd are better when I buy 20 dollar scratch out and when I won 500.00.. I just bought one ticket.. I tend to just buy one and hope for the best. There is a 30 dollar ticket I have yet to try... that is might next one to get.. Cool

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10351 Posts
                              Posted: October 3, 2013, 12:21 am - IP Logged

Last month a guy in a town in this area won $4,000,000 on a $20 scratcher.

I don't play them but I do know that the higher the price of the scratcher on the ones where you match numbers the more numbers you get to match.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.