Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Be sure to check your tickets, because the state won't make any effort to find you if you win

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BuyLow.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #142625
May 16, 2013
34 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2013, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I was just reading the article about the expired 1 million dollar ticket in Indiana and I noticed this little quote....

"McFarland told CNN that the state makes no special effort -- such as reviewing Circle K's surveillance tape -- to try to figure out who this, or any other "winner," is."

the state just wants the money for their selves.

Bull<snip>

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #61435
    May 22, 2008
    908 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2013, 11:00 am - IP Logged

If you buy a ticket and are too stupid to check your numbers you deserve to lose the money.  I <snip> sure don't need anyone especially the state or federal gov't reviewing surveillance tapes posting some poor saps mug all over the place. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
      Member #142625
      May 16, 2013
      34 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

If you buy a ticket and are too stupid to check your numbers you deserve to lose the money.  I <snip> sure don't need anyone especially the state or federal gov't reviewing surveillance tapes posting some poor saps mug all over the place. 

its funny how they will review that tape if you steal a Snickers bar

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #129225
        June 13, 2012
        546 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

I agree with you and I am from the state of Indiana.  I would be more upset to have my video and picture of me purchasing said lottery ticket and have it blasted all over the media then to let it expire.  I am always appaled when states do this.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2013, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Im with you on that one...Why play if you're not gonna check the tickets...

United States
            Member #142625
            May 16, 2013
            34 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

You guys are harsh.
            So youd really rather that money go to the state, than the lady with 3 kids who bought the ticket and left it in an old purse???

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #129225
              June 13, 2012
              546 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2013, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

You guys are harsh.
              So youd really rather that money go to the state, than the lady with 3 kids who bought the ticket and left it in an old purse???

If it means intrusion into my personal life by having video clips blasted on television stations then the answer is yes.  I don't always check my tickets but it is my responsibility to check to see if I have won.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #61435
                May 22, 2008
                908 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2013, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

You guys are harsh.

Correct. Although, I think unclaimed prizes shoud be put in a pool and then they can sell raffle tickets to all the unclaimed prize money.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  22980 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2013, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

I was out today and was behind a lady who passed her tickets over to the clerk. He was scanning them and telling her after each

'not a winner'..she accepted it and said okay give me so and so for tonight. Well 2 of those tickets showed - draws remaining..

the clerk tossed them. I stopped the lady and told her to get those tickets from him, she said oh I just let him tell me if I won or

not, and that she didn't know. HOW can you not know? That's 2 people not knowing. And they would have been in the trash.

Not sure if they'll win but in that case, how does a winner find their winning ticket when they don't even know they had it thrown

away on advice from a 20 something clerk who read or misunderstood the machine.

If people want to waste money, let them. If they are just going to fork tickets over to know-nothing clerks, let them. Let them

take whatever they're told and live with it, it's their fault.

While I wouldn't want my photo splattered all over the news like some kind of sick manhunt where people are looking for you..I

wouldn't want to lose a jackpot either.

SOOOOO...check you OWN tickets. Make sure the dates are right. DON'T hand tickets over to a clerk to check for you. And keep them

at a safe place where you'll REMEMBER where you put them.

246 ~~ 485 ~~ 369 ~~ 890 ~~ 705 ~~ 357 ~~ 129 ~~ 165 ~  007 ~ 225 ~ 818 ~ 440 ~  7775 5557

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19831 Posts
                    Posted: October 9, 2013, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I was just reading the article about the expired 1 million dollar ticket in Indiana and I noticed this little quote....

"McFarland told CNN that the state makes no special effort -- such as reviewing Circle K's surveillance tape -- to try to figure out who this, or any other "winner," is."

the state just wants the money for their selves.

Bull<snip>

According to the LP news article the story was sent out to news services, that's how it appeared here.  The amount of the win, the date and location of it purchased were included in the story.  Even if the winner read the story and brought a quick pick and lost it, they would have had a hard time proving they were the winner because they probably had no idea of what was on their ticket.

If this case went as others I have read about, the main offices was flooded by people claiming to be the winner with no verifiable proof.  States require winners to sign their winning ticket and get it verified before collecting their winnings.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: October 9, 2013, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

I was out today and was behind a lady who passed her tickets over to the clerk. He was scanning them and telling her after each

'not a winner'..she accepted it and said okay give me so and so for tonight. Well 2 of those tickets showed - draws remaining..

the clerk tossed them. I stopped the lady and told her to get those tickets from him, she said oh I just let him tell me if I won or

not, and that she didn't know. HOW can you not know? That's 2 people not knowing. And they would have been in the trash.

Not sure if they'll win but in that case, how does a winner find their winning ticket when they don't even know they had it thrown

If people want to waste money, let them. If they are just going to fork tickets over to know-nothing clerks, let them. Let them

While I wouldn't want my photo splattered all over the news like some kind of sick manhunt where people are looking for you..I

SOOOOO...check you OWN tickets. Make sure the dates are right. DON'T hand tickets over to a clerk to check for you. And keep them

When ever I've taken my winning tickets in to be cashed or verified for cashing at an approved bank, the terminal response is "WINNER! WINNER!" loud enough to be heard 20 ft. away.  I always have already checked them myself and highlighted the winning numbers in pink since the terminals can't see red.

Evil Looking       

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3856 Posts
                        Posted: October 9, 2013, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

Correct. Although, I think unclaimed prizes shoud be put in a pool and then they can sell raffle tickets to all the unclaimed prize money.

I Agree!  And I think they used to do that, then they got greedy !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19831 Posts
                          Posted: October 9, 2013, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

You guys are harsh.

At least this way the father(s) of the kids who never paid any support won't show up expecting to share it.

Evil Looking       

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4111 Posts
                            Posted: October 9, 2013, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Once it says " Expired"- game over. One should stop fighting once that is self evident.
                            Expired means " its done- stick a fork in it"- remember when you got dumped,  l mean really dumped? You knew there was no going back, same thing. Drop the curtains, its Bye Bye Broadway.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: October 9, 2013, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Hi dr,

Throwing the exchange tickets in the garbage can is one of their scams. They pull them out later if no one says anything. I had it pulled on me one time when I got distracted by someone while cashing tickets. I went back and the clerk acted like he didn't know what I was talking about and tried to blow me off but when I wouldn't relent he went in the can and pulled out my exchange ticket saying he didn't know what it was so he threw it away. Yeah, right.