Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 1:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Be sure to check your tickets, because the state won't make any effort to find you if you win

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by BuyLow.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19824 Posts
Posted: October 9, 2013, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Hi dr,

Throwing the exchange tickets in the garbage can is one of their scams. They pull them out later if no one says anything. I had it pulled on me one time when I got distracted by someone while cashing tickets. I went back and the clerk acted like he didn't know what I was talking about and tried to blow me off but when I wouldn't relent he went in the can and pulled out my exchange ticket saying he didn't know what it was so he threw it away. Yeah, right.

I don't ask clerks to check tickets I don't think are winners and I always ask for them back 'cause I'm saving them to use for a tax deduction if I ever get a real big win. 

I've never gotten a win large enough to take more than the standard deduction but who knows maybe I will someday.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 9, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Once it says " Expired"- game over. One should stop fighting once that is self evident.
    Expired means " its done- stick a fork in it"- remember when you got dumped,  l mean really dumped? You knew there was no going back, same thing. Drop the curtains, its Bye Bye Broadway.

"...remember when you got dumped,  l mean really dumped?"

Dumped?

Me?

Har, har, hardee, har, har!

I'm quite certain that all of my ex-wives, every single one of them, in their heart of hearts, if they could just for once in their lives tell the truth, would admit that they made a tragic, tragic mistake.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
      Winning makes me smile.
      bel air maryland
      United States
      Member #90251
      April 24, 2010
      4862 Posts
      Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I don't ask clerks to check tickets I don't think are winners and I always ask for them back 'cause I'm saving them to use for a tax deduction if I ever get a real big win. 

I've never gotten a win large enough to take more than the standard deduction but who knows maybe I will someday.

I don't know why anyone asks the clerks to check their tickets. There are plenty of ways to find out the numbers yourself.

1) Watch the drawings.

2) Check the newspaper.

3) Call the lottery winning number hotline on the back of the ticket or playslip.

4) Go to the lottery office.

5) Go to the store and ask the clerk to give you a printout for that day.

6) Go online and get the results from the state lottery website or here at the L.P.

As the saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Illinois
        United States
        Member #141461
        April 14, 2013
        61 Posts
        Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm siding with the State on this one.  If someone buys a ticket, it's their responsibility to present it when they win.  Kind of like a dry cleaning slip, you are responsible to present the receipt to claim your goods.  That's all the ticket is, a receipt for your entry in the State's game.

I remain, patiently optimistic

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I'm siding with the State on this one.  If someone buys a ticket, it's their responsibility to present it when they win.  Kind of like a dry cleaning slip, you are responsible to present the receipt to claim your goods.  That's all the ticket is, a receipt for your entry in the State's game.

The Chinamen at the laundry say, "No Tickee, No Washee."

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2013, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

I was just reading the article about the expired 1 million dollar ticket in Indiana and I noticed this little quote....

"McFarland told CNN that the state makes no special effort -- such as reviewing Circle K's surveillance tape -- to try to figure out who this, or any other "winner," is."

the state just wants the money for their selves.

Bull<snip>

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

I have mixed feelings on this. On one side I think the state did its job and requiring it to do additional work is the reason why we're in such an economic mess as a country. On the other hand I wonder why the state didn't ask the store for the surveillance tapes and reviewed them and released an image to the media. The California Lottery did it and helped Julie Cervera collect $23M in the nick of time last year November. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/252731

That money's gone fo ever

Marana AZ
              United States
              Member #145341
              August 3, 2013
              178 Posts
              Posted: October 9, 2013, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

There's some pretty harsh commentary here. It's a good thing all the harsh commenters are perfect and have never made a mistake. Me, I've made a few and thankfully, there have usually been good-hearted people around to help me out.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #129225
                June 13, 2012
                546 Posts
                Posted: October 9, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

I have mixed feelings on this. On one side I think the state did its job and requiring it to do additional work is the reason why we're in such an economic mess as a country. On the other hand I wonder why the state didn't ask the store for the surveillance tapes and reviewed them and released an image to the media. The California Lottery did it and helped Julie Cervera collect $23M in the nick of time last year November. 

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/252731

That is the problem it is a violation of privacy to have your picture plastered all over the news.  It is certainly not the business of the state or the store to release that video.  They can advertise that a ticket is about to expire but that is it.  California was wrong in doing this.  Way to go Indiana at least they protect our rights.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: October 9, 2013, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

Im with you on that one...Why play if you're not gonna check the tickets...

Hold the press. The one who will take any jackpot he could get his hands on is willing to give up 20 million because he does'nt want his picture shown. Don't worry about your pic B2b, there's plenty of time to do your makeup. :)

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #61435
                    May 22, 2008
                    907 Posts
                    Posted: October 10, 2013, 7:58 am - IP Logged

Hold the press. The one who will take any jackpot he could get his hands on is willing to give up 20 million because he does'nt want his picture shown. Don't worry about your pic B2b, there's plenty of time to do your makeup. :)

I seriously doubt you would be able to claim all made up in makeup or a disquise.  Likely you will have to match the picture on your license.