Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much cut will you take if you were to sell a winning ticket?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CHERRY HILL, NJ
United States
Member #130213
July 9, 2012
387 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Winning can have its complications. Cashing in a winning lottery ticket (if its not a BIG MM or PB jackpot) can make you cross certain thresholds that will disqualify you from certain benefits. Or it can complicate your tax liabilities, as it will sure cause your Adjusted Gross Income to rise. 

The good news is the winning ticket is a prime commodity which can be resold very quickly at a discount. How much do you think is a fair discount?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buying winning lottery tickets at a discount is a crook and dealing with a crook make you a crook.  And if you are a crook selling your winning lottery tickets so you can continue to collect benefits meant to help those who really need them then you are also a thief.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
      Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
      United States
      Member #50210
      March 1, 2007
      843 Posts
      Posted: October 28, 2013, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

About a year ago upon returning to my vehicle after grocery shopping, a lady approached me claiming she had a winning Florida Lotto ticket worth over $5000 and that she would be willing to sell it for $3000 cash. She stated that she was here illegally and was scared to go cash it at lottery headquarters. She even volunteered to go back inside Publix to validate the ticket. I felt she was being truthful but still denied her request as I had my child with me.

You hear about stories similar to this frequently where they actually set you up for a robbery. Apparently it didn't deter a nearby gentleman who had overheard her request. I saw both of them walking back toward the supermarket as I was pulling out of my parking space. I am fairly sure he went through with it but it wasn't worth my time or safety.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Winning can have its complications. Cashing in a winning lottery ticket (if its not a BIG MM or PB jackpot) can make you cross certain thresholds that will disqualify you from certain benefits. Or it can complicate your tax liabilities, as it will sure cause your Adjusted Gross Income to rise. 

The good news is the winning ticket is a prime commodity which can be resold very quickly at a discount. How much do you think is a fair discount?

LOL I would see no need to sell MY winning ticket....taxes or no taxes the money I would receive far outweighs me trying to dodge the I.R.S. and possibly being a millionaire in jail LOL

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
          Bay Area - California
          United States
          Member #136477
          December 12, 2012
          4146 Posts
          Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buying winning lottery tickets at a discount is a crook and dealing with a crook make you a crook.  And if you are a crook selling your winning lottery tickets so you can continue to collect benefits meant to help those who really need them then you are also a thief.

That's straight talk- which is True.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 28, 2013, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Last year around Christmas time I played el gordo raffle from Spain. Had I won I would have sold the win to someone without any shame. I don't think uncle sam should lay claim to it. I'd be willing to settle for 80% of the payout otherwise it wouldn't make sense to sell.

That money's gone fo ever

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4974 Posts
              Posted: October 28, 2013, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

I don't want to share a cell with Big Bertha....

J'aime La France.

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19901 Posts
                  Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Last year around Christmas time I played el gordo raffle from Spain. Had I won I would have sold the win to someone without any shame. I don't think uncle sam should lay claim to it. I'd be willing to settle for 80% of the payout otherwise it wouldn't make sense to sell.

I assume when you say had you won you are talking about a prize that would have put you in the 30% tax bracket.  What make you think someone would pay you more for a win than it would be worth if claimed legally?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6305 Posts
                    Posted: October 28, 2013, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I don't want to share a cell with Big Bertha....

Lol Green laugh

I Love Pink & Green 1908

London
                      United Kingdom
                      Member #140684
                      March 24, 2013
                      566 Posts
                      Posted: October 28, 2013, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Never heard of that in the UK, we don't pay tax on tickets here tho so I doubt people would need to do it. Maybe they would if they got certain benifits or something I am not sure....

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: October 28, 2013, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Never heard of that in the UK, we don't pay tax on tickets here tho so I doubt people would need to do it. Maybe they would if they got certain benifits or something I am not sure....

Half the country doesn't work here and the other half has to feed them.

It's a delicate balance.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                          Massachusetts
                          United States
                          Member #37433
                          April 14, 2006
                          2747 Posts
                          Posted: October 29, 2013, 7:47 am - IP Logged

I assume when you say had you won you are talking about a prize that would have put you in the 30% tax bracket.  What make you think someone would pay you more for a win than it would be worth if claimed legally?

You have to remember that they don't tax lottery winnings overseas. If the jp was 100,000 the buyer would get  20,000  for the hustle.  I think there's plenty of people who would be willing to take that offer today. What would be tough is how to execute the deal and come out unscathed.

That money's gone fo ever

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            817 Posts
                            Posted: October 29, 2013, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

Say no thank you.  Most likely a scam.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3316 Posts
                              Posted: October 29, 2013, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

About a year ago upon returning to my vehicle after grocery shopping, a lady approached me claiming she had a winning Florida Lotto ticket worth over $5000 and that she would be willing to sell it for $3000 cash. She stated that she was here illegally and was scared to go cash it at lottery headquarters. She even volunteered to go back inside Publix to validate the ticket. I felt she was being truthful but still denied her request as I had my child with me.

You hear about stories similar to this frequently where they actually set you up for a robbery. Apparently it didn't deter a nearby gentleman who had overheard her request. I saw both of them walking back toward the supermarket as I was pulling out of my parking space. I am fairly sure he went through with it but it wasn't worth my time or safety.

they where working together, its a tried and tested scam.  some offers to sell you something  at a good price, then  a " 3rd un related party " joins in and offers to do the deal. yuo feeling that you might miss out   jump in and take the  deal, only to find you lost your money. some times its fake jewel, sometimes its a ticket or a pile of forign cash  , rare stamps, , i forget the exact  details.  but i read  about this exact same scam a  fair few years ago.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318