Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How much cut will you take if you were to sell a winning ticket?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: October 29, 2013, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

You have to remember that they don't tax lottery winnings overseas. If the jp was 100,000 the buyer would get  20,000  for the hustle.  I think there's plenty of people who would be willing to take that offer today. What would be tough is how to execute the deal and come out unscathed.

"What would be tough is how to execute the deal and come out unscathed."

Roger that.

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's being scathed.

It always makes me disgruntled.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #35086
    March 12, 2006
    10374 Posts
    Posted: October 29, 2013, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Roger that.

LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: October 29, 2013, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

About a year ago upon returning to my vehicle after grocery shopping, a lady approached me claiming she had a winning Florida Lotto ticket worth over $5000 and that she would be willing to sell it for $3000 cash. She stated that she was here illegally and was scared to go cash it at lottery headquarters. She even volunteered to go back inside Publix to validate the ticket. I felt she was being truthful but still denied her request as I had my child with me.

You hear about stories similar to this frequently where they actually set you up for a robbery. Apparently it didn't deter a nearby gentleman who had overheard her request. I saw both of them walking back toward the supermarket as I was pulling out of my parking space. I am fairly sure he went through with it but it wasn't worth my time or safety.

The nearby gentleman was probably her partner.  While she had offered to go back into Publix to validate the ticket, he was there to divert her from having to do so.  Had you been able to play along, he would had offered her considerably less which would have given you a chance to offer her more but still less than the $3000 she wanted.  For this scam to work, you would have be greedy and willing to take advantage of the poor woman.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: October 30, 2013, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

Roger that.

haha welcome back local comic.

That money's gone fo ever

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
          North Carolina
          United States
          Member #59855
          March 29, 2008
          31517 Posts
          Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buying winning lottery tickets at a discount is a crook and dealing with a crook make you a crook.  And if you are a crook selling your winning lottery tickets so you can continue to collect benefits meant to help those who really need them then you are also a thief.

I agree with you but I have heard of people doing that very thing or either getting a relative to claim it so they wouldn't lose any benefits they're getting.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3854 Posts
            Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Roger that.

LOL

So I guess if you're unscathed then you're "gruntled"

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
              Member #124493
              March 14, 2012
              7023 Posts
              Posted: October 31, 2013, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Anyone buying winning lottery tickets at a discount is a crook and dealing with a crook make you a crook.  And if you are a crook selling your winning lottery tickets so you can continue to collect benefits meant to help those who really need them then you are also a thief.

Lets not be too harsh here RJ. 

Firstly, if i pick the winning numbers, then I dont want a discount on my ticket, I want a BONUS!!!

But to answer the question of the OP, I would accept   50%.  Although I dont think my benefits amount to 1/2 of the value of my ticket, nor do my harships.

But I can empathize with the OP.  Lets say I won a million dollars.  And I was previously on food stamps.

Now perhaps in my desire to keep those food stamps, I want to lessen the impact of my lottery win.

It makes no sense whatsoever considering the newfound wealth, but thats like, growing a garden in the Sahara, without a greenhouse.

Its like being GE.  Making billions, paying no taxes, and having your reactors spill radioactivity into the Pacific Ocean.

I can understand how one might want to accept their finacial responsibilities.  Especially when your gilded pillows start to unravel?  The cost of replacement is GINORMOUS!!!

After all, if you read in a magazine, how to undo a security mechanism, and thus proceed to acquire a codified software, which is patented and copyrighted,

does that make you a saint or "robin hood"?

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19774 Posts
                Posted: November 26, 2013, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you but I have heard of people doing that very thing or either getting a relative to claim it so they wouldn't lose any benefits they're getting.

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                  Connecticut
                  United States
                  Member #61623
                  May 29, 2008
                  20581 Posts
                  Posted: November 26, 2013, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Half the country doesn't work here and the other half has to feed them.

It's a delicate balance.

Green laughLOL!

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19825 Posts
                    Posted: November 26, 2013, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Relative or not, a crook is a crook.  It's unlikely a crooked relative is going to risk his behind without getting an equal share of the spoils.   More than a few crooks have been caught because they depended on relatives or friends to do their dirty work for little or no benefits.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking