Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you continue to buy lottery tickets at a store where the clerks are ill mannered ?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 3 years ago by helpmewin.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

I just walked out of one here where the clerk was doing some paperwork,  when l put my slip on the counter he gave it one look, glanced up at me and went back to doing his counting as though l was bothering him. I said to myself " the heck with this &$##@# and walked out. He ain't never seeing me again- l don't give a rat's @@ how busy he was. Thought l would share.
Second time in this store- his wife is usually cordial- but this mother..
Your thoughts- give a 2nd chance or not?

New York, NY
    United States
    Member #13514
    April 7, 2005
    235 Posts
    Posted: October 28, 2013, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

Establishments where people are rude do not see my money.  So no I would no longer play there.  I mean it does not take much time to say politely "I will be with you in a min or two."  I would have done the same thing you did.  I would have walked out, and found another store where the people are kinder.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
      Massachusetts
      United States
      Member #37433
      April 14, 2006
      2747 Posts
      Posted: October 28, 2013, 5:44 pm - IP Logged

No need to return to a place that ruins your mood. YOLO they say.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
        Member #125918
        March 31, 2012
        362 Posts
        Posted: October 28, 2013, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I just walked out of one here where the clerk was doing some paperwork,  when l put my slip on the counter he gave it one look, glanced up at me and went back to doing his counting as though l was bothering him. I said to myself " the heck with this &$##@# and walked out. He ain't never seeing me again- l don't give a rat's @@ how busy he was. Thought l would share.

Sounds like you walked in to a foreigner own business.. Here in Seattle there is lots of Korean small shop owners i refuse to shop in because i am mixed race and they think i am going to steal or rob them.. I only give my business to USA small business owners and they deserve my business.. If i hit the big lottery i want them to get something for selling the winning ticket.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31351 Posts
          Posted: October 28, 2013, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

Establishments where people are rude do not see my money.  So no I would no longer play there.  I mean it does not take much time to say politely "I will be with you in a min or two."  I would have done the same thing you did.  I would have walked out, and found another store where the people are kinder.

I Agree!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: October 28, 2013, 6:43 pm - IP Logged

There's a liquor store here where you can tell they do not like lotto. They hide the playslips behind whatever advertisement they can dind, people have to dog for them, and when a game changes they don't even bother getting rid of the old playslips.

If someone who doesn't know a game changed tried to use an old playslip they run it and say, "The machine just isn't taking it, sorry."

They're giving a lot of lotto business to a smokeshop that opened a few doors down.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I'da stood there spittin' tobaccy juice on the floor 'til he got good n' ready.

I usually get pretty fast service.

United States
                Member #125918
                March 31, 2012
                362 Posts
                Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

Haha good one and who ever does that better have a concealed gun permit...

United States
                  Member #130815
                  July 25, 2012
                  1636 Posts
                  Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you walked in to a foreigner own business.. Here in Seattle there is lots of Korean small shop owners i refuse to shop in because i am mixed race and they think i am going to steal or rob them.. I only give my business to USA small business owners and they deserve my business.. If i hit the big lottery i want them to get something for selling the winning ticket.

There are plenty American owned businesses who's American personnel have bad attitudes as well...bad manners is an individual person's problem not necessarily an non-American person's problem...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Haha good one and who ever does that better have a concealed gun permit...

Oh, I all the time go heeled, always did. 

And I even got me one of them permits now.

Not that I'd need it to jerk a clerk over the counter and see what his major malfunction was though.

Cuz some of 'em definitely need to be a little more neighborly, heh,heh,heh...

Illinois
                      United States
                      Member #141461
                      April 14, 2013
                      61 Posts
                      Posted: October 28, 2013, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

I have too many options around to tolerate that lack of service.  Win our not, the store still collects on every ticket sold so I refuse to contribute to their well being.  There's a gas station here that never, and I mean never cashes a ticket for me, not even $10.  They keep an empty cigar box behind the counter to "show" you that they're not fibbing.  Tried twice, got shown the same box each time, moved on down the road.

I remain, patiently optimistic

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                        Bay Area - California
                        United States
                        Member #136477
                        December 12, 2012
                        4108 Posts
                        Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

When I read your post Ridge l burst out laughing because for a second l could envision one of those characters from " Ducks Dynasty" doing that same thing to a ill mannered convenience store clerk if they rode into town and got stalled at the counter- especially the Patriarch of that outfit.

Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4108 Posts
                          Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Foreigner- Yes, very little English l would gather as well.
                          Its like someone said earlier- all one has to say is "give me a minute and l will be right with you" , its the silence that was deafening.  The " can't you see l am busy " look.
                          I say, if you open up your doors for business- be open for business. If you see yourself being too busy to handle customers, open up 10-15 minutes later. This ignoring the customer when you open is downright rude. Can't stand that nonsense.
                          Worse yet is the sign out front " Play the Lotto Here"-...right.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

When I read your post Ridge l burst out laughing because for a second l could envision one of those characters from " Ducks Dynasty" doing that same thing to a ill mannered convenience store clerk if they rode into town and got stalled at the counter- especially the Patriarch of that outfit.

Oh, most places 'round here got spit on the floor here and there and it's expected but some of these dandies they got clerkin' around here now git offended if you chuck out a big ol' chaw on the floor and then hack up a wad o' phlegm-laced tobaccy juice right on top of it while you're standing at the counter. Some of 'em are pretty dam* particular about it too. But I still try to be neighborly. I just smile and say, "Welcome to East Tennessee, son!"

Vergie6's avatar - DSCN5541
                              North Carolina
                              United States
                              Member #59855
                              March 29, 2008
                              31541 Posts
                              Posted: October 28, 2013, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Around a year or so ago I went in a store which was busy at the time & got in the long line like everyone else & waited my turn...well since I was buying lottery tickets the clerk told me I'd have to wait as they were really busy right now & I said well I waited my turn like everybody else, now I want you to run my lottery p3 slips...then she said well the manager told us to make you all wait...well I did get them but when I got home I sent the home office an e-mail & gave them a piece of my mind.

A couple of days later I got a call from the manager of the store & she apologized & said it would never happen again so I accepted her apology and from that day until this I have never ever had another problem at that store.

My ex & I had a couple of grocery stores once & we would never ever treat a customer bad for any reason because we knew those customers were the ones who put food on our table so I expect to be treated good in a store also!