Welcome Guest
You last visited April 27, 2017, 1:20 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Motivation to still purchase despite odds...

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #134413
October 27, 2012
25 Posts
Posted: October 30, 2013, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Just looking to see if anyone can give some good motivational quotes for me to continue purchasing.   I myself have won through local SC draws, $500, $1000, and still looking for my $1m. 

$1m is my goal and i wonder how long many of you have been buying and your frequency.   Do you do Powerball, MB, or neither and how much is too much for a weekly budget?   I just don't want my dreams to wither away in the wind...and are dreams of a paid off house and car too much to dream/wish for?   Thanks all.

United States
    Member #130815
    July 25, 2012
    1636 Posts
    Posted: October 30, 2013, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Just looking to see if anyone can give some good motivational quotes for me to continue purchasing.   I myself have won through local SC draws, $500, $1000, and still looking for my $1m. 

$1m is my goal and i wonder how long many of you have been buying and your frequency.   Do you do Powerball, MB, or neither and how much is too much for a weekly budget?   I just don't want my dreams to wither away in the wind...and are dreams of a paid off house and car too much to dream/wish for?   Thanks all.

If you play in S.C. you got two big hitters that I know of....one won 265 million and the other was recent he won that 400 million dollar jackpot....those two alone are enough to keep hope alive...Im here in N.C. and we havent had a jcakpot winner in a couple years or more...I keep saying I want to be the next NC PB or MM jackpot winner....fingers and toes crossed LOL

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
      Texas Panhandle
      United States
      Member #136843
      December 20, 2012
      1425 Posts
      Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:04 pm - IP Logged

I play the Powerball, Mega Millions and the Texas Lottery, but not all the time.  I'm one of those people who prefer to play when the JP is "up there", particularly on the Texas Lottery.

I know a guy who enjoys poking fun at people who play the lottery, saying that the odds of winning are about the same whether you play or not, but I pointed out to him that was wrong, that even though the odds of winning the lottery might be one in several hundred million, you have exactly zero chance of winning if you don't play.  That serves as my inspiration:  "You can't win if you don't play."  Somebody will eventually win and it *might* be me!

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
        - Voltaire

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
        Massachusetts
        United States
        Member #37433
        April 14, 2006
        2747 Posts
        Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

I like to play one line a draw because that's all you need. To help me avoid buying more than one line a draw, I usually buy advanced play tickets. Sometimes I feel lucky and buy more than 5 lines and I usually feel crappier when I see that I won nothing.   weekly budget? I have been trying to shrink it to under $10 but it's kinda tough.

That money's gone fo ever

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3912 Posts
          Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I like to play one line a draw because that's all you need. To help me avoid buying more than one line a draw, I usually buy advanced play tickets. Sometimes I feel lucky and buy more than 5 lines and I usually feel crappier when I see that I won nothing.   weekly budget? I have been trying to shrink it to under $10 but it's kinda tough.

Yea, that "crappier" feeling you mention is called lotto hangover !

stick to budget and avoid it, just like sticking to your limit when drinking.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
            Massachusetts
            United States
            Member #37433
            April 14, 2006
            2747 Posts
            Posted: October 30, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Yea, that "crappier" feeling you mention is called lotto hangover !

stick to budget and avoid it, just like sticking to your limit when drinking.

Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3912 Posts
              Posted: October 30, 2013, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I play the Powerball, Mega Millions and the Texas Lottery, but not all the time.  I'm one of those people who prefer to play when the JP is "up there", particularly on the Texas Lottery.

I know a guy who enjoys poking fun at people who play the lottery, saying that the odds of winning are about the same whether you play or not, but I pointed out to him that was wrong, that even though the odds of winning the lottery might be one in several hundred million, you have exactly zero chance of winning if you don't play.  That serves as my inspiration:  "You can't win if you don't play."  Somebody will eventually win and it *might* be me!

Yes ! your inspiration in quotes is, word for word the way I explain it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3236 Posts
                Posted: October 31, 2013, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Some one always wins the jackpot no matter how long it takes to grow so it might as well be one of us here at lottery post.  especially me first I will gladly take the first jackpot that lands on my winning ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3159 Posts
                  Posted: October 31, 2013, 12:53 am - IP Logged

There's a guy close to me who was living on a fixed income. He could'nt afford to fill his home oil tank so he would go to a gas station and get enough to keep his heat going. That's where he bought his 12mill dollar winning NYL ticket. I know his old neighbor and his luck always gives me some hope.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5183 Posts
                    Posted: October 31, 2013, 12:59 am - IP Logged

Some one always wins the jackpot no matter how long it takes to grow so it might as well be one of us here at lottery post.  especially me first I will gladly take the first jackpot that lands on my winning ticket.-weshar75

US Flag

PartyW:

it'$ a grand day 4 wi$hing 10/31/13 PumpkinStoogesPumpkin

FIFO>>R>>LIFO>>PSYKO>>WIN PartyHurray!

Jack-in-the-Box 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      20018 Posts
                      Posted: October 31, 2013, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Why do you discuss your lottery playing with people like that?  I know of people who spend more on cigarettes and beer than I spend on lottery tickets but I figure it's their money and their business.  Same way with my lottery playing, it's my money and my business.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                        Texas Panhandle
                        United States
                        Member #136843
                        December 20, 2012
                        1425 Posts
                        Posted: October 31, 2013, 3:52 am - IP Logged

Why do you discuss your lottery playing with people like that?  I know of people who spend more on cigarettes and beer than I spend on lottery tickets but I figure it's their money and their business.  Same way with my lottery playing, it's my money and my business.

I didn't "discuss" it w/ him;  we had been doing some work on his small cow/calf operation one Sat. and after we were done we stopped at the store on the way home for a soda pop and I got a ticket f/ that night's drawing and that's when he made the comment.   What's it to you, anyway?  My business, after all.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                          Connecticut
                          United States
                          Member #61623
                          May 29, 2008
                          20581 Posts
                          Posted: October 31, 2013, 5:26 am - IP Logged

...and are dreams of a paid off house and car too much to dream/wish for?   Thanks all.

Not too much to wish for at all...just don't quit your day job  lol.  ......if its in the cards,then fate will eventually call your name

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Chasing the Dream.
                            Utopia- California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4261 Posts
                            Posted: October 31, 2013, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Try this one on for size from George Bernard Shaw. .

" Those people who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it"
                            Enough Said.

United States
                              Member #134413
                              October 27, 2012
                              25 Posts
                              Posted: October 31, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Well i won $24 dollars last night on Powerball.   I am going to reinvest that into Megaball for tomorrow.   Thanks for the motavitaional push everyone.