Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tonight on Inside Edition

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Astekblue.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #77815
August 1, 2009
3460 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winners ripped off! He held a half-million dollar winning lottery ticket. So why did the clerk tell him it was worth just 4 bucks?

INSIDE EDITION investigates crooked lottery clerks. The undercover sting you have to see to believe.

Guess Who's Back?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2013, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the heads up.

This may or may not be a repeat.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Lottery winners ripped off! He held a half-million dollar winning lottery ticket. So why did the clerk tell him it was worth just 4 bucks?

INSIDE EDITION investigates crooked lottery clerks. The undercover sting you have to see to believe.

Yeah I love those shows...The To catch a predator guy used to do them for NBC too...

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
        Member #71120
        February 19, 2009
        1209 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

But It"s ok if the lottery rips you off,thats allowed.

Pompano Beach
          United States
          Member #122193
          January 26, 2012
          602 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2013, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Just told my GF about the segment, I've been ripped off at gas station and clerk processed it and told me it wasn't worth anything, I tried the ticket at another store and was told it was paid. Then I reported her and has station to the lottery office in Tallahassee.

"You can't take it with you."Sun Smiley

United States
            Member #124493
            March 14, 2012
            7023 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Just told my GF about the segment, I've been ripped off at gas station and clerk processed it and told me it wasn't worth anything, I tried the ticket at another store and was told it was paid. Then I reported her and has station to the lottery office in Tallahassee.

That sucks big time!!

Good thing you didn't go back with a box-cutter or a taser.

United States
              Member #94616
              July 24, 2010
              4735 Posts
              Posted: November 4, 2013, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

and......WHAT happened??????

also HOW much was the winner?

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                Florida
                United States
                Member #61435
                May 22, 2008
                910 Posts
                Posted: November 4, 2013, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

That's why I know what I've won on each ticket before I go in to cash them.  I tell the clerk what they are going to find when they scan the tickets.  No muss no fuss.....

grwurston's avatar - 144
                  Let's Go Rangers!!!
                  bel air maryland
                  United States
                  Member #90251
                  April 24, 2010
                  5125 Posts
                  Posted: November 4, 2013, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

and......WHAT happened??????

also HOW much was the winner?

If people didn't ask the clerks to check their tickets, they would not get ripped off. As they said at the end of the show,

"Check your tickets yourself, and sign the ticket."  Also, YOU tell the clerk how much it's for, don't let them tell you. That way

they know they can't  BS you.   And if you sign it, they can't pull the old switcheroo. And if they give you any crap, tell

them you will call the lottery agency and report them. They get a lot of revenue from selling lottery tickets and won't want to

lose their license and lottery $$$.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23349 Posts
                    Posted: November 4, 2013, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

I have reported a number of news stories about this happening all around the country, but I'll bet it's a lot bigger and more common than the public is aware.  I get e-mails every day from people who say that clerks ripped them off.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19901 Posts
                      Posted: November 4, 2013, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

If people didn't ask the clerks to check their tickets, they would not get ripped off. As they said at the end of the show,

"Check your tickets yourself, and sign the ticket."  Also, YOU tell the clerk how much it's for, don't let them tell you. That way

they know they can't  BS you.   And if you sign it, they can't pull the old switcheroo. And if they give you any crap, tell

them you will call the lottery agency and report them. They get a lot of revenue from selling lottery tickets and won't want to

lose their license and lottery $$$.

Since I always high lite the winning numbers on my tickets, I always tell the clerks I want to cash my ticket or have it verified so I can fill out the paper work to it to the nearest authorized bank to get my cash.

Even when some of them try to correct me by telling me I want it checked instead I tell them I've already checked it and that is why I'm telling you I want to cash it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

grwurston's avatar - 144
                        Let's Go Rangers!!!
                        bel air maryland
                        United States
                        Member #90251
                        April 24, 2010
                        5125 Posts
                        Posted: November 4, 2013, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Since I always high lite the winning numbers on my tickets, I always tell the clerks I want to cash my ticket or have it verified so I can fill out the paper work to it to the nearest authorized bank to get my cash.

Even when some of them try to correct me by telling me I want it checked instead I tell them I've already checked it and that is why I'm telling you I want to cash it.

So I assume that hi-liting the numbers is not considered defacing the ticket as far as the lottery office is concerned?

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                          Jacksonville, Florida
                          United States
                          Member #140364
                          March 17, 2013
                          195 Posts
                          Posted: November 4, 2013, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I saw that. Wow!

I always check my tickets myself first. The good thing about Florida tickets is when the ticket is scanned it will print on there "Not a Winner" or "Winning Ticket"  I get my tickets scanned at publix so you can also see how much is won on the screen in front of you, and with winning tickets I always ask for the Validation receipt. Call it a 3 step method I guess. But I do need to start signing the tickets. But on that note, I dont think I have ever seen a clerk check the back of a ticket when its only a few dollars won.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
                            Member #118609
                            November 4, 2011
                            1075 Posts
                            Posted: November 4, 2013, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

That $500,000 ticket winner was from Camarillo where I grew up lol.  At least the lottery commission made it right to him.   So many crooked clerks but looks like they are going after them.  Very good show.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6305 Posts
                              Posted: November 5, 2013, 7:00 am - IP Logged

Dang I missed it Bang Head

I Love Pink & Green 1908