Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tonight on Inside Edition

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Astekblue.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Vergie6's avatar - Santa 20kitty.jpg
North Carolina
United States
Member #59855
March 29, 2008
31553 Posts
Posted: November 5, 2013, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Lottery winners ripped off! He held a half-million dollar winning lottery ticket. So why did the clerk tell him it was worth just 4 bucks?

INSIDE EDITION investigates crooked lottery clerks. The undercover sting you have to see to believe.

I saw that too & there have been other things on TV about that before...think it was Dateline one time who had people go into places undercover with winning tickets & were ripped off & they came back & told the clerks who did it about it...they were procecuted.

I always tell them what I won beforehand so they know I know how much I won.  They have now started putting machines in stores here where you can scan your scratch cards beforehand to see if it's a winner...don't think it will work for anything but a scratch card though.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19830 Posts
    Posted: November 5, 2013, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

So I assume that hi-liting the numbers is not considered defacing the ticket as far as the lottery office is concerned?

I use a pink hi-lite marker since the scanners can't see red and I've never had a complaint.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
      Jacksonville Florida
      United States
      Member #23018
      October 6, 2005
      918 Posts
      Posted: November 5, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

CHECK YOUR TICKETS
      before giving them to a clerk...

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
        East of Columbus, OH
        United States
        Member #120843
        December 28, 2011
        451 Posts
        Posted: November 7, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

The color of the marker shouldn't matter because they scan the bar code at the bottom of the ticket anyway.  I usually use a blue or black pen to circle the winning numbers.

Don't know about other states.  But every lottery retailer I have been to in Ohio has a scanner available to the public that will scan the bar code on your ticket and tell you if its a winner so you will know for sure before you give it to the clerk.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: November 7, 2013, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

The color of the marker shouldn't matter because they scan the bar code at the bottom of the ticket anyway.  I usually use a blue or black pen to circle the winning numbers.

Don't know about other states.  But every lottery retailer I have been to in Ohio has a scanner available to the public that will scan the bar code on your ticket and tell you if its a winner so you will know for sure before you give it to the clerk.

You're lucky to have scanners.

We only have them for the big shots and politicians in Nashville from what I understand.

Never seen one anywhere in East Tennessee.

Probably never will.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
            Kentucky
            United States
            Member #35086
            March 12, 2006
            10374 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2013, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I have reported a number of news stories about this happening all around the country, but I'll bet it's a lot bigger and more common than the public is aware.  I get e-mails every day from people who say that clerks ripped them off.

Yes  , it has also always amazed me the amount  of  people  that will  walk into a store  ,  and ask the clerk to check their tickets ,   and then will  just turn around and walk away.

I  have never  asked  any  clerk to  check  my  tickets  ( without  checking  them  myself  first   ,  before I go into the store )

I have seen people do it many times , and it never fails to amaze me every time I see  it  happen ,  especially  on  PB  and  MM  tickets

I agree with  Todd  , and   also  believe it  is   more  wide  spread  and  common  than  we  all  know  and/or  that  is   reported

I  feel if many of them aren't even interested enough in the game , or knowledgeable enough about the game  , to even check their own tickets first , then  there  are  also  probably  many of them  that may never even know they were ripped off  to  begin with

Unreal  really  ,  the   amount  of  people that  will  do  that