Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you tell if you win a significant amount to your friends?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Jordi88.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
London
United Kingdom
Member #148675
November 8, 2013
54 Posts
Posted: November 8, 2013, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

I'm new to this site and wanted to know what you would tell to your close  friends, if let's say you win 100m? I know that I would tell it to my parents and sister that I won on the lottery. But if my friends came to me asking how I could afford the Panthouse in Chelsea , London and Zurich Switzerland or my new Patek Phillipe watch what would you say? I just turned 25 so for anyone who's that young and can afford this has to be from a wealthy family or inhert the money. 

There's a Euro-millions Special Draw coming up next Friday in UK starting with  £80m Jackpot fingers crossed :) whoop whoop!!

By the way, sorry for my English I'm a native Swiss- German Speaker :-)

Many thanks in Advance !!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4806 Posts
    Posted: November 8, 2013, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Welcome Jordi and your English is fine.

People assume for financial issues that they have to tell people something but you do not have to do this.  I had a coworker recently nosing around and asking me how much I spend at Halloween. She was almost salivating waiting for my response (I help host a neighborhood Halloween party and pay for treats and small trinkets/toys since most of the kids come from outside the neighborhood and a lot of people in my office know I do this yearly). I replied that I was concerned by her repeated intrusive financial questions to me and that clearly indicated she was having serious personal financial issues. I asked "are you about to declare bankruptcy" and pretended to be concerned...lol I recommended that she talk to our superiors and ask for a referral to a financial counselor. I said, do you want me to go with you to ask them to get you a counselor....then she ran away.

Do not give out financial info ever. I have never asked any friend or person personal financial info.

J'aime La France.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #148675
      November 8, 2013
      54 Posts
      Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

@ Artist77 , Thanks for your  prompt response ;-)  I'll take your advice with me. It is actually quite rude to ask about money even if it's a close friend you grew up with. I'll just shot my mouth  if I ever win and say it's not your Business .. ^^

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4806 Posts
        Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

@ Artist77 , Thanks for your  prompt response ;-)  I'll take your advice with me. It is actually quite rude to ask about money even if it's a close friend you grew up with. I'll just shot my mouth  if I ever win and say it's not your Business .. ^^

nahhh... respond to a question with a question...turn it around on them.

J'aime La France.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

I'm new to this site and wanted to know what you would tell to your close  friends, if let's say you win 100m? I know that I would tell it to my parents and sister that I won on the lottery. But if my friends came to me asking how I could afford the Panthouse in Chelsea , London and Zurich Switzerland or my new Patek Phillipe watch what would you say? I just turned 25 so for anyone who's that young and can afford this has to be from a wealthy family or inhert the money. 

There's a Euro-millions Special Draw coming up next Friday in UK starting with  £80m Jackpot fingers crossed :) whoop whoop!!

I'd just tell them the truth and if I haven't already given them whatever I set aside to give them, I'd let them know that I was going to give them x amount and that's it don't ask for more....Of course it's no one's business, but it's your business if you want to just tell them your business LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19831 Posts
            Posted: November 8, 2013, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

There really aren't any good reasons to tell friends about your personal wealth, it could come off as bragging.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4806 Posts
              Posted: November 8, 2013, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

There really aren't any good reasons to tell friends about your personal wealth, it could come off as bragging.

Amen.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: November 9, 2013, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

Welcome to Lottery Post, Jordi!

Don't worry about your English, it's far better than that of about half of the people in this country.

To Wit:

"no what im saying so dont ax me no kershins im going too the store too get a ticket i dont wont too loose and be a looser no what im saying mabey ill go too the boarder and get a bereedo no what im saying" (with thanks to Artist77)

Now as far as telling friends about a big win, I only have a few close personal friends and I trust them like brothers and sisters, so no problem. My family's tight too, so no problem there either. And in my area we live by a code and we live by the feud if you break that code.

The code? Real simple: Don't go stickin' yer nose where it don't belong.

Good luck, Jordi! LepThumbs Up

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40611 Posts
                  Posted: November 9, 2013, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

Welcome to Lottery Post Jordi, best wishes.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3301 Posts
                    Posted: November 9, 2013, 6:48 am - IP Logged

I tell them  "  SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SUCKERS "

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                      Florida
                      United States
                      Member #61435
                      May 22, 2008
                      908 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2013, 7:49 am - IP Logged

I plan to help a small circle of friends so I guess they will figure it out lol.  I invision winning enough to give them each a check for their yearly salary.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19911 Posts
                        Posted: November 9, 2013, 8:14 am - IP Logged

I tell them  "  SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG SUCKERS "

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
                          Ontario
                          Canada
                          Member #137286
                          December 31, 2012
                          93 Posts
                          Posted: November 9, 2013, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                            East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            451 Posts
                            Posted: November 9, 2013, 10:49 am - IP Logged

My close friends know I am an avid lottery player, so when I quit my job and have a brand new supercar, I'm sure they will figure it out.  After my parents and kids are taken care of, I have one really close friend that would find his mortgage paid for in full.  Other than that, I won't give any details.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

aux8b's avatar - home

United States
                              Member #57793
                              January 19, 2008
                              2341 Posts
                              Posted: November 9, 2013, 10:51 am - IP Logged

CoolTell them nothing Cool