Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you tell if you win a significant amount to your friends?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Jordi88.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
482 Posts
Posted: November 9, 2013, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

I would want to remain anonymous so that no one would ever know.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
    Rochester
    United States
    Member #103282
    January 1, 2011
    603 Posts
    Posted: November 9, 2013, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

Jordi88, I would use caution as to whom I told. I would make sure as best I could that I had another location to live in for the time being. Your friends and family are known to burn you first! Coffee

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

Tin Roof's avatar - lion

United States
      Member #89693
      April 13, 2010
      6 Posts
      Posted: November 9, 2013, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Hello you lucky people! It's been awhile since I've been on - I hope you are all doing well!

As for OP's question, in my case, no one will EVER know! I will quietly work my job until I can take my vacation day(s), pack up my living quarters, put everything in storage or give it way (after my ticket is verified, of course), get situated and go cash in my ticket.

I have a small list that I carry around in my wallet - I will implement that list (I've worked out a certain percentage for various folks). They will get a nice gift (under the IRS guidelines so no one pays taxes). By the time they think they figured something out, I will be laying off in Las Vegas for a long overdue vacation (at least 30 days) getting my foots worked on! I'm a cubicle worker - I need this! LOL ... Guitar They don't have to know, but they will benefit in some way, and that's enough in my book.

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
        Member #141034
        April 2, 2013
        1408 Posts
        Posted: November 9, 2013, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

My finances, are not a topic, for discussion.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

London
          United Kingdom
          Member #148675
          November 8, 2013
          54 Posts
          Posted: November 10, 2013, 9:23 am - IP Logged

Hi Folks, thanks for all the good suggestions ;-) I hope to use them someday lol

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: November 10, 2013, 11:22 am - IP Logged

I would tell them nothing.  :)

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #85037
              January 7, 2010
              252 Posts
              Posted: November 10, 2013, 11:34 am - IP Logged

well if anyone found out I won and asked for money I would tell them my financial planner has my money set up so I can only access a certain amount of money every month and I can't go over my budget.

Greg2117's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                New York
                United States
                Member #145706
                August 12, 2013
                108 Posts
                Posted: November 10, 2013, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I would tell them nothing. It's really none of their business how much money I have.

United States
                  Member #124493
                  March 14, 2012
                  7023 Posts
                  Posted: December 10, 2013, 1:38 am - IP Logged

Hi Folks, 

I'm new to this site and wanted to know what you would tell to your close  friends, if let's say you win 100m? I know that I would tell it to my parents and sister that I won on the lottery. But if my friends came to me asking how I could afford the Panthouse in Chelsea , London and Zurich Switzerland or my new Patek Phillipe watch what would you say? I just turned 25 so for anyone who's that young and can afford this has to be from a wealthy family or inhert the money. 

There's a Euro-millions Special Draw coming up next Friday in UK starting with  £80m Jackpot fingers crossed :) whoop whoop!!

By the way, sorry for my English I'm a native Swiss- German Speaker :-)

Many thanks in Advance !!

Welcome Jordi!

Dont tell anybody anything, (even family!!!)

But if they ask, tell them you made some good choices in the market with apple.  If they press, politely say "I would rather not get into details about my private matters" . 

Game set match!

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: December 10, 2013, 2:45 am - IP Logged

remember, what is told cant be untold.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                      Rochester
                      United States
                      Member #103282
                      January 1, 2011
                      603 Posts
                      Posted: December 10, 2013, 7:35 am - IP Logged

Jordi, money does strange things to people, so you have to be careful with big wins like that. I would be extremely careful whom I told outside the family and I'd have all my hideouts and getaways set up before I told anyone. Your english is fine by the way!

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
                        Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
                        United States
                        Member #50210
                        March 1, 2007
                        843 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2013, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

Nothing. Really no valid reason to do so as I don't discuss my personal finances.

We would simply continue to live our lives in the same manner.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Raye149's avatar - Trek GEN1.gif
                          Rhode Island
                          United States
                          Member #149840
                          December 10, 2013
                          4 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2013, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

People will know somethings up when you start showing off your new toys.lol

United States
                            Member #124493
                            March 14, 2012
                            7023 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2013, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

People will know somethings up when you start showing off your new toys.lol

True.

That is why you have to be discreet. 

Never buy a better toy thats on public display, that at least 10 people in your neighborhood dont also have.

The most expensive care in my neighborhood on public display is perhaps a ford explorer or acura suv.

I will never buy something more expensive than that, (if i decide to live where i am now.)

It would be good to have an underground garage for your nicest toys.

Although an underground garage in a flood prone area is unadvisable.

London
                              United Kingdom
                              Member #148675
                              November 8, 2013
                              54 Posts
                              Posted: December 10, 2013, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

@ LottoBoner, thanks for your suggestion . The only people I'm going to tell if I ever win are my close fam eg. dad,sister and my disabeld brother. All of them deserve a piece of the cake. To be honest I couldn't enjoy to live as a millionaire on my own.