Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you see further " modifications" to the MM game should the betting public stay away?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4146 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2013, 8:32 am - IP Logged

l base the question on the following notation..

Note: The changes from the old 56/46 game to the new 75/15 game make it significantly more difficult to win a Jackpot. Also the change in the way that the annuity is paid out reduces the actual cash value relative to the quoted annuity value as compared to the previous game. The net result is that the quoted value of the Jackpot will become bigger; but the cash value of any Jackpot will become less relative to the publicized annuity sum, and it will be more difficult to win this reduced cash amount.

The motivation for the above seems to be:
Make it more difficult for people to win and skew the annuity rate so that the combination will generate massive payout number quotations. This will entice people to buy more tickets, which will accelerate the rate of monetary transfer from people’s pockets to lottery officials.

* As always- Have a Great day and coming weekend People.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
    NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    12118 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2013, 8:50 am - IP Logged

l base the question on the following notation..

Note: The changes from the old 56/46 game to the new 75/15 game make it significantly more difficult to win a Jackpot. Also the change in the way that the annuity is paid out reduces the actual cash value relative to the quoted annuity value as compared to the previous game. The net result is that the quoted value of the Jackpot will become bigger; but the cash value of any Jackpot will become less relative to the publicized annuity sum, and it will be more difficult to win this reduced cash amount.

The motivation for the above seems to be:
    Make it more difficult for people to win and skew the annuity rate so that the combination will generate massive payout number quotations. This will entice people to buy more tickets, which will accelerate the rate of monetary transfer from people’s pockets to lottery officials.

* As always- Have a Great day and coming weekend People.

Lottery sales are down this year. Players are spending less money on the lottery. It is the reason that they are creating so many games. I lost $1 on Mega Millions yesterday.LOL

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2013, 9:15 am - IP Logged

EEEHHHh I in it now more for the 2nd tier megaplier prizes.... Of course the jackpot would be awesome to win but 5 million would suit me just fine...

NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        12118 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2013, 9:20 am - IP Logged

EEEHHHh I in it now more for the 2nd tier megaplier prizes.... Of course the jackpot would be awesome to win but 5 million would suit me just fine...

You will win the jackpot or a second prize, if it is in your DESTINY. Do you believe in Destiny?

US Flag

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3159 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2013, 10:20 am - IP Logged

I could see the ticket price rising and another matrix change if people stop playing. But for now, as long as the jackpot stays ahead of PB, players will continue to buy tickets and they are.

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
            Jacksonville, Florida
            United States
            Member #140364
            March 17, 2013
            195 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2013, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I doubt they have seen a huge impact in ticket sales. As long as the average Joe sees a huge jackpot and it only cost $1 compared to the $2 PB, they will buy the tickets and probably buy more since it only costs $1. MM is counting on the huge jackpots it will produce to make money, it may start slow but you we are going to see record ticket sales every few months.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2013, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

The last couple of generations of Americans entering the work force and voting booths have been demonstrably "dumbed down" from previous generations.

MM is simply taking advantage of that fact.

Most people in this country no longer know or care what's going on in the world.

In any given situation, they just wanna know what's in it for them.

And they have neither the ambition nor the attention span to investigate the odds of winning jackpots and all that.

And MM knows it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                12118 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2013, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

The last couple of generations of Americans entering the work force and voting booths have been demonstrably "dumbed down" from previous generations.

Most people in this country no longer know or care what's going on in the world.

And they have neither the ambition nor the attention span to investigate the odds of winning jackpots and all that.

And MM knows it.

The Mayans predicted that on December 21, 2012 we would have a conscious change. I was expecting some improvement. We are still evolving.LOL

US Flag

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  12118 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2013, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

I could see the ticket price rising and another matrix change if people stop playing. But for now, as long as the jackpot stays ahead of PB, players will continue to buy tickets and they are.

Your mind has evolved my friend. I can't see anything clearly pass the Mega Millions odds of 1 in 259 Millions. It is mindless.

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2013, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr, I agree with your post totally.

The politicians are going after uninformed voters and the lotteries are going after uninformed players.

For the lottery directors than know about LP, they probably see it as one of their biggest threats.

Just my $.02 but those runninng MM are taking the greed factor to the nth degree, knowing the 75 number matrix will make jackpots very rare and trying to build it to the first $1 Billion jackpot, rubbing their palms together the whole time.

Bang Head

Wouldn't it be great to see someone give a MM playslip to one of those animals known for predicting stocks, winning sports teams, etc...look at the playslip and pee on it?

Green laugh

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                      Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #35086
                      March 12, 2006
                      10374 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2013, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

And MM knows it.

Sad  But   True         Ridge           Sad  But   True

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                        Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #35086
                        March 12, 2006
                        10374 Posts
                        Posted: November 13, 2013, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr, I agree with your post totally.

The politicians are going after uninformed voters and the lotteries are going after uninformed players.

For the lottery directors than know about LP, they probably see it as one of their biggest threats.

Just my $.02 but those runninng MM are taking the greed factor to the nth degree, knowing the 75 number matrix will make jackpots very rare and trying to build it to the first $1 Billion jackpot, rubbing their palms together the whole time.

Bang Head

Wouldn't it be great to see someone give a MM playslip to one of those animals known for predicting stocks, winning sports teams, etc...look at the playslip and pee on it?

Green laugh

Thumbs Up

I  am  sure  that  is   what   would   happen  with  the   play  slip    Coin   Toss       Smile       

He  may  even  go  a  little  further  with  it    (  if  you  know  what  I  mean )   Smile

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3095 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2013, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The jackpots are growing larger since the matrix change.  It went up $17 million annuity this last roll over and like 8 to 9 million cash value.  Mega is growing better than the old mega in the early stages.  We will just have to see if the jackpot can get bigger once it is over $300 million and more.-weshar75

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: November 13, 2013, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

weshar,

The difference betwen the PB jackpot odds (175M)and Mega Millions jackpot odds is (285M) is approx. 110,000,000.

Many state Pick 6 games have jackpot odds of around 20,000,000.

The difference between PB and MM is almost six times greater than the state Pick 6 odds.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                              Member #142777
                              May 18, 2013
                              263 Posts
                              Posted: November 13, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I doubt they have seen a huge impact in ticket sales. As long as the average Joe sees a huge jackpot and it only cost $1 compared to the $2 PB, they will buy the tickets and probably buy more since it only costs $1. MM is counting on the huge jackpots it will produce to make money, it may start slow but you we are going to see record ticket sales every few months.

Agreed schmuckatelly.  Can't wait for that first billion dollar number.  I bet some of those bashing the odds here will be the ones secretly buying the most tickets when it happens.  I only get one ticket each draw no matter what.  However, even i will lay down a 5 buck to fill up a ticket when it does get that high.  Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!