Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you see further " modifications" to the MM game should the betting public stay away?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 3 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2013, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

veganlife125,

Every horror story thus far about jackpot winners being hounded by exes, people who claim they were playing partners, etc... will be mere chump change compared to what the first billion dollar winner will experience.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5588 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

l base the question on the following notation..

Note: The changes from the old 56/46 game to the new 75/15 game make it significantly more difficult to win a Jackpot. Also the change in the way that the annuity is paid out reduces the actual cash value relative to the quoted annuity value as compared to the previous game. The net result is that the quoted value of the Jackpot will become bigger; but the cash value of any Jackpot will become less relative to the publicized annuity sum, and it will be more difficult to win this reduced cash amount.

The motivation for the above seems to be:
    Make it more difficult for people to win and skew the annuity rate so that the combination will generate massive payout number quotations. This will entice people to buy more tickets, which will accelerate the rate of monetary transfer from people’s pockets to lottery officials.

* As always- Have a Great day and coming weekend People.

Well, last night is the first time in years that I haven't played MM. I played every single draw since Texas has had this game, and when I got all my tickets for the first half of the week, I just decided to skip MM. I don't know if I'll play Friday or not. Tomorrow I'll get my PB, Lotto, and 2 Step tics for the rest of the week and MM will be a last second decision.

I agree with you Ridge. The lotteries think people are stupid and will blindly play anything when the jackpots get high enough. And they are right. People just don't really realize what they are up against on any of these games.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: November 14, 2013, 12:48 am - IP Logged

l base the question on the following notation..

Note: The changes from the old 56/46 game to the new 75/15 game make it significantly more difficult to win a Jackpot. Also the change in the way that the annuity is paid out reduces the actual cash value relative to the quoted annuity value as compared to the previous game. The net result is that the quoted value of the Jackpot will become bigger; but the cash value of any Jackpot will become less relative to the publicized annuity sum, and it will be more difficult to win this reduced cash amount.

The motivation for the above seems to be:
      Make it more difficult for people to win and skew the annuity rate so that the combination will generate massive payout number quotations. This will entice people to buy more tickets, which will accelerate the rate of monetary transfer from people’s pockets to lottery officials.

* As always- Have a Great day and coming weekend People.

the way that the annuity is paid out reduces the actual cash value relative to the quoted annuity value

So what? Lottery jackpots have always been determined strictly by the number of tickets that are sold. Changing the annuity is merely a way to BS the stupid people into thinking the jackpot is bigger, in an effort to boost ticket sales. If that does boost ticket sale then the real jackpot will be bigger. Of course that puts more money in the lottery's coffers, but it also transfers more money to jackpot winners. If there's any confusion, the only reason for playing the lotttery is the slight chances that you'll be th eone that other people's money is transferred to.

Everybody has the option of making their betting choices based on the real prizes that are available or on an imaginary pre-tax prize that includes 30 years' worth of interest. Most players may be choosing the latter, but that's not a problem for me, and I don't see why it would be a problem for any of the regulars here.

As for any future changes, I don't think they'll result from the change in annuity. The change I anticipate is a new matrix if the reduced frequency of winners results in reduced sales. The people making the decisions about the lottery may be drooling at the prospect of huge jackpots, but it's the annual net that really drives them. MM is following in the footsteps of PB, which raised th odds significantly a few years back. That was followed by a reduction in sales that led to the reduced odds and $2 ticket price. I'm figuring that MM didn't learn from PB's history, so they're simply going to repeat it.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: November 14, 2013, 12:53 am - IP Logged

weshar,

The difference betwen the PB jackpot odds (175M)and Mega Millions jackpot odds is (285M) is approx. 110,000,000.

Many state Pick 6 games have jackpot odds of around 20,000,000.

The difference between PB and MM is almost six times greater than the state Pick 6 odds.

The new MM odds are about 1 in 259 million, not 285 million. That there are about 84 million more combinations for MM isn't the useful comparison. What matters is that there are about 50% more combinations, so that your odds of winning the MM jackpot with a single ticket are about 2/3 of your chances of winning the PB jackpot with one ticket. Of course you get the MM odds for only half the cost of a PB ticket, so you can either have more than half as much chance of winning for half the cost, or you can be 35% more likely to win for the same $2 bet.

As for the comparison to state games, one ticket at 1 in 20 million odds is almost 13 times more likely to win than a single MM ticket, and 8.75 times more likely to win a jackpot than a single PB ticket that costs twice as much. I really don't understand why people play MM and PB at the relatively modest starting amounts when they could be taking their chances at a state jackpot that would let them retire and live very comfortably.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10344 Posts
          Posted: November 14, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

My faux pas (and dyslexia) with the transposed 285 instead of 258, good eye KY Floyd.

I think the state games depend on what state you are in and what those lotteries bring in. I haven't seen Missouri over $3M in a long, long time, so if it's not a solo hit maybe not so comfortable after taxes. Somebody winning the Illinois Lucky Day Lotto Pick 5 when it's pumped up would net more than someone winning $1M in the Missouri Lotto Pick 6.

Illinois Lottohas been getting hit between $2 and $10M. Once some of the states offered MM and PB their Pick 6 games lost a lot of play.

That considered, I still have to agree with you on going for a state jackpot if it's enough to live comfortably.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
            Member #106134
            February 13, 2011
            806 Posts
            Posted: November 14, 2013, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

MM will still be too easy to win if you buy tickets in any state that touches the ocean.

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
              Member #142777
              May 18, 2013
              263 Posts
              Posted: November 14, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

veganlife125,

Every horror story thus far about jackpot winners being hounded by exes, people who claim they were playing partners, etc... will be mere chump change compared to what the first billion dollar winner will experience.

Scared

Agreed Coin Toss.  However, if millions of people can smoke, ski dive, ride motorcycles, repel, snow ski, eat artery clogging meat, and marry ugly women without fear then i have no fear of winning that billion and proudly appearing at the press conference wearing my super man t-shirt!  Bring It!  Good luck to all MM'ers Friday!

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: November 15, 2013, 9:53 am - IP Logged

My faux pas (and dyslexia) with the transposed 285 instead of 258, good eye KY Floyd.

I think the state games depend on what state you are in and what those lotteries bring in. I haven't seen Missouri over $3M in a long, long time, so if it's not a solo hit maybe not so comfortable after taxes. Somebody winning the Illinois Lucky Day Lotto Pick 5 when it's pumped up would net more than someone winning $1M in the Missouri Lotto Pick 6.

Illinois Lottohas been getting hit between $2 and $10M. Once some of the states offered MM and PB their Pick 6 games lost a lot of play.

That considered, I still have to agree with you on going for a state jackpot if it's enough to live comfortably.

It starts at a paltry $2 million and grows at a glacial pace nowadays, but NY Lotto still tends to get into the low teens on a regular basis. When that happens I wouldn't even think about the old MM game if it wasn't at least $50 million, but NY still sells more MM tickets for the $12 million starting annuity than for the big lotto jackpost.