Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would be your monthly allowance?

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 3 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
London
United Kingdom
Member #148675
November 8, 2013
54 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2013, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the numbers. I'll let you know and inbox you if I win tonight ;-)

CST
    United States
    Member #140593
    March 23, 2013
    26 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2013, 11:20 am - IP Logged

Jordi88,

Not trying to be condescending at all... I think you need to research how money works before you win. You must have knowledge to watch over the person you put in charge of watching your money.

That being said, your example means that you would allow yourself $10k per month or $120k per year in "allowance". My example will allow a minimum of 5 times that without touching your principal... Read on!

If you took $80M of the $100M win, put it into tax free bonds yielding 4.5%, your tax free income every year would be $3.6M. 

If you "paid yourself" $200k per month, using this money for all of your bills as well as "allowance", you would still have $1.2M per year to reinvest, while never touching your principal.

This, of course, does not account for the other $20M you spent on a house, vehicles, wardrobe, furniture & most of all giving. This is just one example of being smart with that much money.

I think that you are being a bit conservative about what your means would be if you won $100M. $10k a month sounds like a lot of money to almost all of us now, but it is really a pittance of what you would be able to wisely spend with the correct investments after a huge win.

Then again, if you are using The National Bank of the Mattress, then $10k per month sounds about right.

London
      United Kingdom
      Member #148675
      November 8, 2013
      54 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2013, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

@ a911scaner, thanks for your advice ;-)

My portfolio would look like this :

1. 15 to 20 million in properties in Central London which I would rent out

2. 1 Holiday home in  Cannes, France 1 back home in Switzerland and 1 in London.

3. The rest would be invested wisely in Bonds, CD's , Stocks etc..

Whish me luck for tonight!!:-) It's £86m  which is 138m in US Dollar Tax free. Whoop Whoop !!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4104 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2013, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks,

What would be your monthly allowance if you win a big Jackpot of let's say +100m  after tax ? I had a discusion earlier with me sister and told her mine would around 10k .. Is that too much?

Many thanks in Advance !!

Monthly allowance: $50, 000 plus. That would cover the mortgage,  food, clothing,charities,  medical emergencies- throw in " other surprises" as well like helping family & friends in a crisis. Sounds excessive but its not, thats under $20 mill for 25 years and l have barely got into my 30's.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19752 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2013, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

Hi Folks,

What would be your monthly allowance if you win a big Jackpot of let's say +100m  after tax ? I had a discusion earlier with me sister and told her mine would around 10k .. Is that too much?

Many thanks in Advance !!

I Agree!10k Sounds easy to do.Party

Let it Snow Snowman

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40339 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2013, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

as much as it takes, to get things done.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7297 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2013, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

LOL you breezed thru that answer...Never said anything about buying new or old cars...I said that 10k would be nice but IF you wanted to buy things such as cars real estate or whatever you would probably need more money...but again  10k is better walking around money

To me a monthly allowance means the total expenditures for each month and we can't buy a new car or a nicer home with one or even two months allowance. That's why I thought the monthly allowance meant extra money to spend anyway they choose. Would you limit yourself to only $10,000 total monthly expenditures after winning $100 million after taxes?

gnozahs's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United States
                Member #148996
                November 17, 2013
                28 Posts
                Posted: November 17, 2013, 1:16 am - IP Logged

3-4k probably.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: November 17, 2013, 1:31 am - IP Logged

I never had a Swiss Watch.

But I've had my share of Swiss Cheese.

Real thin slices though.

If that counts for anything.

I guess not...

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
                    Rochester
                    United States
                    Member #103282
                    January 1, 2011
                    603 Posts
                    Posted: November 17, 2013, 7:16 am - IP Logged

Ten grand is a comfortable starter.Smile

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                      Connecticut
                      United States
                      Member #61623
                      May 29, 2008
                      20581 Posts
                      Posted: November 17, 2013, 7:30 am - IP Logged

more like 50k or better a month...and I'm using that number as  a base because we're assuming after the big win we won't be working.

You know as well as I do what too much time on your hands and an unlimited credit line can  potentially do .. lol

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

mypiemaster's avatar - 2015021003pileofcash
                        JACKPOT HUNTER

United States
                        Member #141034
                        April 2, 2013
                        1408 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2013, 9:21 am - IP Logged

The word allowance becomes irrelevant in my vocabulary. The urge to splurge becomes highly diminished. Everything else will be based on need.

Seek and ye shall find -Matt. 7:7 ...Ask and ye shall receive -John 16:24 ...Give and it shall be given unto you -Luke 6:38 ...Be careful what you ask for!!! -Mypiemaster 1:1

Having Money Solves Problems That Not Having Money Creates Yes Nod ****John Carlton****

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: November 17, 2013, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Jordi88,

Not trying to be condescending at all... I think you need to research how money works before you win. You must have knowledge to watch over the person you put in charge of watching your money.

That being said, your example means that you would allow yourself $10k per month or $120k per year in "allowance". My example will allow a minimum of 5 times that without touching your principal... Read on!

If you took $80M of the $100M win, put it into tax free bonds yielding 4.5%, your tax free income every year would be $3.6M. 

If you "paid yourself" $200k per month, using this money for all of your bills as well as "allowance", you would still have $1.2M per year to reinvest, while never touching your principal.

This, of course, does not account for the other $20M you spent on a house, vehicles, wardrobe, furniture & most of all giving. This is just one example of being smart with that much money.

I think that you are being a bit conservative about what your means would be if you won $100M. $10k a month sounds like a lot of money to almost all of us now, but it is really a pittance of what you would be able to wisely spend with the correct investments after a huge win.

Then again, if you are using The National Bank of the Mattress, then $10k per month sounds about right.

"you would allow yourself $10k per month or $120k per year"

That was my first thought, and that it was overly modest for somebody who won a sizable prize, but I checked to see if  Jordi88 mentioned their location, and their "10k" appears to be  about $16,000.

Actually spending $192,000 per year would let you live a very comfortable lifestyle, including a fair amount of indulgence, even if the "allowance" has to cover all of your routine expenses. For $16k you could make payments on a $500k mortgage, $1000 for property taxes, a $1000 car payment, $1500 health insurance premium (an expense that Jordi88 doesn't have), and $2000 for utilities, and still have about half of your allowance left. Figuring it's an average and you can spend more in any given month, you can cover all of your other reasonable expenses and still take a couple of vacations at a place that costs $350 per night, and even spring for first class airfare.

Other than lots of land around a  comfortable but relatively modest house, that last is the only thing that I think could cause me to spend more than $15k as a monthly average on myself.  Just for fun I just did some airfare shopping. Several years back we took a dive trip to the south Pacific, with multiple destinations. At that time the booking agent said the airfare alone was abut $2200 IIRC. Right now I could get a similar itinerary in first class for $19k; that's direct from the airline without looking for dates or a slightly diferent itinerary to get a better deal. Figure with very nice acccommodations the entire trip for two might cost as much as $60k. Even with two trips per year and a few more modest trips, I can't really imagine spending more than perhaps $150k for travel.

Based on that I don't expect I could easily averge more than $25k per month for my own stuff. Of course, spending on good causes would make it easy enough to spend a good deal more.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: November 17, 2013, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

To me a monthly allowance means the total expenditures for each month and we can't buy a new car or a nicer home with one or even two months allowance. That's why I thought the monthly allowance meant extra money to spend anyway they choose. Would you limit yourself to only $10,000 total monthly expenditures after winning $100 million after taxes?

Im sorry I guess we both misunderstood each other LOL...I was talking about carry in your pocket money pretty much when you walked out of the house, like now you may go get 20 or 40 or whatever you get out to carry around...but you were actually talking about monthly expense money

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19752 Posts
                              Posted: November 17, 2013, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

i change mine to $7500 per week Dance

Let it Snow Snowman