Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you move to a non income tax state if you won?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 3 years ago by maringoman.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Would you move to a non income tax state if you won?

Yes. I would move [ 6 ]  [21.43%]
No. I would not move [ 15 ]  [53.57%]
I already live in a non income tax state [ 7 ]  [25.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 6 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: December 5, 2013, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

I'll stay in Michigan, freeze my butt off in winter and stew in my own juices in summer, heat on in the morning, air on at night, mosquitos the size of humming birds, migrating geese that deliver special packages all over my freshly washed car.

Flash floods, drought, 5 feet of snow.

Ahhhh...There's no place like home.

Golly, sully16.

If I hit a jackpot I think weather would be a major factor in picking somewhere to go.

If there was anyplace that was about 60 and dry year round, that would be it. My last duty station in the Army was Monterey, CA and every summer since I wonder why I left (well, ok, there were no jobs then...). I'll take 62 in the 'summer' anythime - and it's not much different in the winter!

I think waking up every day knowing you would enjoy that days' weather would be a major 'score.'

I've joked with friends that one of the best parts of winning a jackpot would be to be somewhere you could read the weather forecasts in the USA today and do this when it comes to summer in the St. Louis area:

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

I'm sure you know what I mean by 'air that you wear'.

And it gets a little old living from one severe weather warning to the next.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
    Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
    United States
    Member #50210
    March 1, 2007
    843 Posts
    Posted: December 5, 2013, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Well now he did invest in a couple of business, the main one the one he appointed CFO ran the finances into the ground, but he was mainly guilty of thinking that the businesses he bought would run themselves

Both business that he started, the limo and the Fiber optics company just ruptured money from the start. Neither one made any profit.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

NASHVILLE, TENN
      United States
      Member #33372
      February 20, 2006
      1044 Posts
      Posted: December 5, 2013, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Look at the bright side though, sully.

You can go to Mackinac Island and buy fudge from 137 different Fudge Shoppes, all right next door to each other.

And smell the horse carriages long before you see them.

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: December 6, 2013, 12:10 am - IP Logged

If I would move...

1. Wyoming,  South Dakota, Alaska Nevada WAS on the list at one time, but I sort of dropped it.

Otherwise, stay in Wisconsin unless Scott Walker gets relected.  Minnesota is back on the list. I've developed a liking for Hawaii, free fruit all year. Maybe the northeast. Cali was off the list, looking better now.....

Maybe Australia, New Zealand, Canada

My favorite piece of land is in wyoming. Tax is NOT the number one issue.  I defferred my vote.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: December 6, 2013, 3:59 am - IP Logged

Both business that he started, the limo and the Fiber optics company just ruptured money from the start. Neither one made any profit.

I always wonder about the posts from people who say they'd start a business if they win the lottery. If you have the ability to start and run a business, why not do it now? If you can't raise the startup capital that's a powerful clue that nobody thinks you can do it. There's a chance that those people are wrong, but most of the time they're spot on.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: December 6, 2013, 9:33 am - IP Logged

And smell the horse carriages long before you see them.

I thought that fudge had a funny smell to it.

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40470 Posts
              Posted: December 6, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Golly, sully16.

If I hit a jackpot I think weather would be a major factor in picking somewhere to go.

If there was anyplace that was about 60 and dry year round, that would be it. My last duty station in the Army was Monterey, CA and every summer since I wonder why I left (well, ok, there were no jobs then...). I'll take 62 in the 'summer' anythime - and it's not much different in the winter!

I think waking up every day knowing you would enjoy that days' weather would be a major 'score.'

I've joked with friends that one of the best parts of winning a jackpot would be to be somewhere you could read the weather forecasts in the USA today and do this when it comes to summer in the St. Louis area:

Green laughGreen laughGreen laugh

I'm sure you know what I mean by 'air that you wear'.

And it gets a little old living from one severe weather warning to the next.

Scared

The time of year would help me determine where I would vacation, I really do love the changing seasons.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Baton Rouge, LA
                United States
                Member #4602
                May 7, 2004
                699 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2013, 11:23 am - IP Logged

I live in a state that has income tax(Louisiana) but it isn't too high. I don't mind living where I am but if circumstances pushed me to want to move, like being hounded by people for money, etc., I'd probably move to a state with no income tax.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: December 8, 2013, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I live in a state that has income tax(Louisiana) but it isn't too high. I don't mind living where I am but if circumstances pushed me to want to move, like being hounded by people for money, etc., I'd probably move to a state with no income tax.

Tennessee has no income tax but you'd better hurry if you're coming here cuz the people from the party that always raises taxes are moving here in droves.

And why are the people who vote for the party that always raises taxes moving here in droves, you ask?

Well, because taxes are too high where they live now. They can't afford it.

And what do they do when they get here, you ask?

Well, they vote for the party that always raises taxes, of course.

Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

To them it does.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    699 Posts
                    Posted: December 8, 2013, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Tennessee has no income tax but you'd better hurry if you're coming here cuz the people from the party that always raises taxes are moving here in droves.

And why are the people who vote for the party that always raises taxes moving here in droves, you ask?

To them it does.

My understanding is TN only has income tax on investment income and not wages. Definitely not a good place for lottery winners to live.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

United States
                      Member #50210
                      March 1, 2007
                      843 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2013, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

My understanding is TN only has income tax on investment income and not wages. Definitely not a good place for lottery winners to live.

TN has no state income tax. They do have a tax on interest and dividend income on anything over $1,250.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: December 8, 2013, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

That's right, we do have tax on investment income.

United States
                          Member #50210
                          March 1, 2007
                          843 Posts
                          Posted: December 8, 2013, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

I always wonder about the posts from people who say they'd start a business if they win the lottery. If you have the ability to start and run a business, why not do it now? If you can't raise the startup capital that's a powerful clue that nobody thinks you can do it. There's a chance that those people are wrong, but most of the time they're spot on.

KY Floyd- I feel the same way. If someone has a passion and a great understanding of how a particular business works they shouldn't wait until having a huge windfall to act upon it.

A good business plan as well as personal savings go a long way towards pursuading an investor or banker. There are some who bring no assets to the table and expect a loan because they have a "great" idea.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: December 8, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

To them it does.

If they were moving there from up north is more likely Id say, because they are moving here in droves too and it's not just the military either, we've been a red state since before the civil rights movement...why are they moving here you ask? Well maybe because you can get a decent job here..Wilmington Winston Salem Raleigh Durham Chapel hill Charlotte, all those non military towns are showing growth...Now that makes more sense...non-propaganda sense

United States
                              Member #130815
                              July 25, 2012
                              1636 Posts
                              Posted: December 8, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

If you cant raise the startup capital that's a powerful clue that nobody thinks you can do it?? Really?? There has to be dozens upon dozens of millionaire and some billionaires who couldnt get start up capital from banks or who ever but they went on to borrow money from friends relatives, taking out credit lines and now they are richer than they would have ever dreamed