Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if some stranger hands you a jackpot ticket?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #125918
March 31, 2012
362 Posts
Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

What would you do if someone handed you a jackpot winning ticket? Would you say Yes or No and what would be your reaction if that happened to you..

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

I would ask what's the catch?  I assume they can't cash it for one reason or another.  At any rate, I'd stay clear away from this potential mess.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I would ask what's the catch?  I assume they can't cash it for one reason or another.  At any rate, I'd stay clear away from this potential mess.

The catch here is assuming someone would hand a jackpot winning ticket to a stranger.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19903 Posts
        Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Folks who believed someone handed them a jackpot winning ticket usually ended up getting scammed.

Folks who still believe in Santa Claus are too young or too dumb to be cashing a lottery ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
          u$a
          United States
          Member #106665
          February 22, 2011
          19964 Posts
          Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

Folks who believed someone handed them a jackpot winning ticket usually ended up getting scammed.

Folks who still believe in Santa Claus are too young or too dumb to be cashing a lottery ticket.

NoelYOU Better be careful you might get Coal in your stocking

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
            Member #124493
            March 14, 2012
            7023 Posts
            Posted: December 9, 2013, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

What would you do if someone handed you a jackpot winning ticket? Would you say Yes or No and what would be your reaction if that happened to you..

I would say get the F%#K out of here,keep it, I have my own.Drum

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
              Member #52345
              May 21, 2007
              2680 Posts
              Posted: December 9, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Skepticaland who spiked your eggnog

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2013, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I'd say "thank you".

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10392 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2013, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

I would figure it to be a gypsy "I can't cash the ticket" scam.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4146 Posts
                    Posted: December 9, 2013, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

You watched that movie with Nick Cage... didn't you?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: December 10, 2013, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I'd discuss it long enough to make sure they didn't want anything in return.  If they just want to pay me for cashing it, even if it was a few million payment after taxes, I'd say no thanks.  If they just didn't want the ticket, I'd find out where they got it, hopefully including the store it was purchased at, and say thank you.  Try to get a licence plate as they drove off, write down a description, etc. in case it turns out the ticket was stolen or something.

Then I'd take it home and check to make sure it was a winner.  Then I'd call a lawyer.  If I did end up taking it to the lottery to cash, I'd be completely up front about how I came to acquire the ticket --  I may not have a comfortable life, but I'm pretty sure it's better than prison life.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                        Massachusetts
                        United States
                        Member #37433
                        April 14, 2006
                        2747 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2013, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

For the life of me I cannot imagine how these questions help you or anybody else LOL

Alright I'll take bait. Supposing a Jehova Witness or Muslim guy handed me a winning PB ticket because he felt guilty for sinning/doing haram and wanted to not sin/ do haram any more I would take it and go cash it. I would be honest with the lottery commission if they asked me how I obtained the ticket.

That money's gone fo ever

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3501 Posts
                          Posted: December 10, 2013, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

For the life of me I cannot imagine how these questions help you or anybody else LOL

Alright I'll take bait. Supposing a Jehova Witness or Muslim guy handed me a winning PB ticket because he felt guilty for sinning/doing haram and wanted to not sin/ do haram any more I would take it and go cash it. I would be honest with the lottery commission if they asked me how I obtained the ticket.

Following up on your honesty, I guess this is what I'd do if somebody gave me a winning  jackpot ticket:

I'd do my best to get them to go with me to the nearest lawyer and swear out an affidavit in front of as many witnesses as possible stating that they were giving me the ticket, that it was a freely given gift, that they wanted nothing in return, and that I had given tthem nothing in return.

I'd probably feel bad when the IRS came to them to demand they pay the gift tax.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2013, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

Following up on your honesty, I guess this is what I'd do if somebody gave me a winning  jackpot ticket:

I'd do my best to get them to go with me to the nearest lawyer and swear out an affidavit in front of as many witnesses as possible stating that they were giving me the ticket, that it was a freely given gift, that they wanted nothing in return, and that I had given tthem nothing in return.

I'd probably feel bad when the IRS came to them to demand they pay the gift tax.

Does gift tax really apply here? many people receive lottery tickets from family/friends during christmas and the ticket giver does not get slapped with gift tax even when the winner claims and informs the press that the ticket was actually a gift. I think since the ticket is a bearer instrument and it was not reported stolen then you would be home free. I guess if you want to have absolutely no leakage at all then you could have the lawyer do the affidavit.

That money's gone fo ever

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                              Texas
                              United States
                              Member #92330
                              June 5, 2010
                              887 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2013, 2:49 am - IP Logged

Does gift tax really apply here? many people receive lottery tickets from family/friends during christmas and the ticket giver does not get slapped with gift tax even when the winner claims and informs the press that the ticket was actually a gift. I think since the ticket is a bearer instrument and it was not reported stolen then you would be home free. I guess if you want to have absolutely no leakage at all then you could have the lawyer do the affidavit.

I think I've read somewhere that gifting after the ticket has won is different than simply gifting a ticket for a later draw (or a later scratch).

The reason they gave is because it's no longer a $1, $2, $3, $5, $10, $20 or $50 ticket, but rather the hundreds of thousands or millions, which would be taxable as a gift.