Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you do if some stranger hands you a jackpot ticket?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 3 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
Ontario
Canada
Member #137286
December 31, 2012
93 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2013, 11:29 am - IP Logged

What would you do if someone handed you a jackpot winning ticket? Would you say Yes or No and what would be your reaction if that happened to you..

I'd take the ticket, say thanks, then go to nearest lottery terminal to confirm it was jackpot winning ticket. If it truely was a jackpot winning ticket I'd write my name on the ticket and then head to the lottery office to cash it.

My reaction would go from amusement when this person handed me the ticket to excited amazement once I had confirmed the ticket was truely a jackpot winning ticket.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2013, 11:34 am - IP Logged

I'd take the ticket, say thanks, then go to nearest lottery terminal to confirm it was jackpot winning ticket. If it truely was a jackpot winning ticket I'd write my name on the ticket and then head to the lottery office to cash it.

My reaction would go from amusement when this person handed me the ticket to excited amazement once I had confirmed the ticket was truely a jackpot winning ticket.

What if they check the video and see that it was your next door neighbor who bought the ticket and he was just found murdered and the ticket was missing?

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
      Ontario
      Canada
      Member #137286
      December 31, 2012
      93 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

What if they check the video and see that it was your next door neighbor who bought the ticket and he was just found murdered and the ticket was missing?

Well, that would suck. Only thing I could do was tell them what happened and how I ended up with the ticket. Chances are they wouldn't believe me and I'd be screwed and it might never work out that I'd be proven innocent. And I wouldn't be allowed to keep the winnings even if proven innocent, after all my neighbour was murdered and his ticket was taken, so the winnings would belong to his family.

But I can't live my life going around thinking every time someone does something nice for me or gives me something there's a catch. I can think of couple of reasons why someone might want to give away a jackpot winning ticket, not that I would do it, but I would accept it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 11, 2013, 12:20 pm - IP Logged

Well, that would suck. Only thing I could do was tell them what happened and how I ended up with the ticket. Chances are they wouldn't believe me and I'd be screwed and it might never work out that I'd be proven innocent. And I wouldn't be allowed to keep the winnings even if proven innocent, after all my neighbour was murdered and his ticket was taken, so the winnings would belong to his family.

But I can't live my life going around thinking every time someone does something nice for me or gives me something there's a catch. I can think of couple of reasons why someone might want to give away a jackpot winning ticket, not that I would do it, but I would accept it.

You talked me into it.

Next time someone offers me one, I'm takin' it!

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40295 Posts
          Posted: December 11, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

That would be a very long day.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2013, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Does gift tax really apply here? many people receive lottery tickets from family/friends during christmas and the ticket giver does not get slapped with gift tax even when the winner claims and informs the press that the ticket was actually a gift. I think since the ticket is a bearer instrument and it was not reported stolen then you would be home free. I guess if you want to have absolutely no leakage at all then you could have the lawyer do the affidavit.

What do you supose would happen if the IRS knew that you gave somebody a $10 million house as a birthday present? Do you think it would be any different than cash or any other gift worth $10 million? As TTech noted, it's all about the value of the gift. Most of the time, if you give somebody a lottery ticket as a gift the IRS is probably willing to consider that at the time you made the gift the ticket's value was only it's cost.

OTOH, if you buy a MM ticket for the 12/24 drawing this year (when the cash jackpot could be 4 to 5 hundred million bucks), the value of the ticket is $1 only until the drawing is held at 11PM. After that it's worth either nothing or the value of whatever prize it has won. If you give that ticket to somebody (other than your spouse or a charity, when a gift tax would never apply) as a Christmas present, when was the gift made? If you deliver the gift (even leaving it under the tree might qualify) before the drawing you've got a very persuasive argument that the gift was given when the ticket had a value of $1. If you take it to your sister's house on Christmas morning and give it to somebody, is that when the gift was made?

In reality, the IRS will probably believe that you didn't give somebody a gift knowing that it's worth millions of dollars unless that person is very important to you, so they'll probably accept that the gift was made when you purchased it with the intent of giving it as a gift. That the person you gave it to will probably be cooperative about paying income tax on the value of the prize certainly helps. The IRS isn't quite as bad as people sometimes think, so as long as somebody pays income tax on it they probably won't bother arguing over the details of when the gift was made.

Now suppose the recipient claims the gift was already worth millions of dollars and says that as a gift they aren't required to pay income taxes on it? At the very least, the IRS is going to expect somebody to pay income taxes. Will they also try to collect a gift tax from the person who made the gift?

I'm fairly sure there's never been a court ruling on something like the scenario presented by the OP, but if somebody gives a lottery ticket to stranger after the value of the ticket is known to be millions of dollars, I don't see much in the way of a valid argument that the gift is taxable income to the recipient. Even if the person bought the ticket with the intention of giving it away, they can't  gift it to a stranger until they've at least met the stranger. Perhaps it would come down to constructive receipt. If the gift is made between the time of the drawing and the time a lottery claim center opens (plus reasonable travel time?), there may be an argument that since the person making the gift could not possibly have claimed the prize yet, then the ticket is not worth milions yet, and the gift is therefore at the purchase price. There's a less persuasive argument that the time it would take for the lottery to make payment, or even the 60 day period to decide between cash and annuity would determine the value of the gift.

Of course if anybody wants to give me a jackpot winning ticket an hour after the drawing I'd be happy to help them with getting a definitive court ruling.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
              A long and winding road
              United States
              Member #17084
              June 10, 2005
              4523 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2013, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

What would you do if someone handed you a jackpot winning ticket? Would you say Yes or No and what would be your reaction if that happened to you..

1: Check to see that the ticket hasn't expired.

2: Check to see that I haven't expired :)

3: My imagination is that the "Someone" , is a family member or someone who entrusted that I deserved the offering, in which case I would take the ticket with the understanding that they must come along to share in the good day.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014