Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I feel sorry for lottery winners in California in the pass and future...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #125918
March 31, 2012
362 Posts
Posted: December 19, 2013, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

Well in light of the recent mega million winner in California is f##ked because he or she will have to pay out about $40 million in state taxes and income taxes... . <snip> I would never buy any lottery tickets in California even if I am passing through California..

So any California LP folks care to comment on this thread?

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

United States
    Member #135804
    November 29, 2012
    318 Posts
    Posted: December 19, 2013, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

There are no state or local income taxes on California prizes for California residents.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: December 19, 2013, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Yup. As long as we purchase MM or PB tickets inside California (plus all other state lottery games), we don't pay 1 cent in state/local taxes for lottery winnings.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 19, 2013, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

Yup. As long as we purchase MM or PB tickets inside California (plus all other state lottery games), we don't pay 1 cent in state/local taxes for lottery winnings.

I bet Governor Moonbeam doesn't know about that.  Shocked

Yet.

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
          Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
          United States
          Member #50210
          March 1, 2007
          843 Posts
          Posted: December 19, 2013, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

Well in light of the recent mega million winner in California is f##ked because he or she will have to pay out about $40 million in state taxes and income taxes... . <snip> I would never buy any lottery tickets in California even if I am passing through California..

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

No state tax on lottery winnings in California. The $40 million you mentioned in taxes is just the 25% initial withholding from the Federal Government. The winner will be responsible for another 14.6% when they file tax returns in 2015.

The total Federal tax due on the $173 million lump sum is over $68 million and this applies to every state. If you live in a state that does charge an income tax on lottery winnings then you can deduct that portion from your AGI thus mitigating your Federal obligations slightly.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10353 Posts
            Posted: December 19, 2013, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

I'm not in California anymore but that Donner Pass certainly is some wicked terrain.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: December 19, 2013, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Green laughCrazy

I agree. There's no way I'd be able to live on a few million bucks less than what I was due.

Rather work for a meager living than have financial freedom, yeah, that's the ticket. That'll show them !   

In fact, If I won 5 million in California, I'd give it all back to prove a point. It's not the money, it's the principal.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: December 20, 2013, 12:54 am - IP Logged

California is still the most populous State in the Nation. l wonder why that is?

* Anyways- lm off to Europe tomorrow with the wife to visit friends in Germany and beyond. See you all in 2014.

Be well.!!

United States
                  Member #6570
                  August 28, 2004
                  36 Posts
                  Posted: December 20, 2013, 3:08 am - IP Logged

Since the drawing was in 2013 dont you have claim it on your 2013 taxes april 2014?

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #129225
                    June 13, 2012
                    546 Posts
                    Posted: December 20, 2013, 6:43 am - IP Logged

Since the drawing was in 2013 dont you have claim it on your 2013 taxes april 2014?

If the winner from California waits until after the 1st of Januray it will be the 2014 taxes and April 2015.  Ira Curry from Georgia claimed hers in 2013 so she will be paying taxes for this year.

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: December 20, 2013, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Shoot I wish I had that problem LOL Having to pay 40 million in taxes and being able to do that and STILL have hundreds of millions left after you pay....All I can say is, I cant wait til it's me LOL

New York,
                        Panama
                        Member #73078
                        April 4, 2009
                        3490 Posts
                        Posted: December 20, 2013, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Shoot I wish I had that problem LOL Having to pay 40 million in taxes and being able to do that and STILL have hundreds of millions left after you pay....All I can say is, I cant wait til it's me LOL

I Agree!My feeling Exactly...

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: December 20, 2013, 11:27 am - IP Logged

I'm not in California anymore but that Donner Pass certainly is some wicked terrain.

Exactly what I was thinking. I don't know about the future, but I definitely feel sorry for those poor people in the Donner Pass.

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

If the winner from California waits until after the 1st of Januray it will be the 2014 taxes and April 2015.  Ira Curry from Georgia claimed hers in 2013 so she will be paying taxes for this year.

Curry will only need to claim it as 2013 income if the state  transfers the money in 2013. Since Curry submitted her claim as quickly as possible any delay is out of her control, and certainly qualifies as a substantial restriction on her ability to  receive it as income by the 31st. Since it generally takes 2 weeks for a state to transfer funds, it's most likely to happen in 2014. FWIW, her immmediate claim could be influenced by the possibility that  taxes  could be higher if she collects in 2014. 

If she'd won a week earlier she would have been entitled to the money and able to collect it in 2013, so there's a good chance it would be taxable in 2013. The only voluntary delay in postponing her claim that might postpone the taxes would be  based on the importance of consulting with professional advisors. If the need for professional advice consitutes a "substantial restriction or limitation" then  the 60 day period for choosing cash or annuity would allow a delay of up to 60 days, but I don't think there's been a court ruling on that point.

Sunny California
                              United States
                              Member #40295
                              May 31, 2006
                              7712 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2013, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Don't feel sorry for us here in California. Don't feel sorry for any lottery player anywhere.

If you've won a jackpot,regardless of what taxes you pay...hey...you can afford it.

So you have a few less million. LOL. Who in this day and age even has 1 million???