Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I feel sorry for lottery winners in California in the pass and future...

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by haymaker.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #125918
March 31, 2012
362 Posts
Posted: December 20, 2013, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Don't feel sorry for us here in California. Don't feel sorry for any lottery player anywhere.

If you've won a jackpot,regardless of what taxes you pay...hey...you can afford it.

So you have a few less million. LOL. Who in this day and age even has 1 million???

Well explain this -->  California awards all prizes in a pari-mutuel formula, which calculates the prize amount based on the number of tickets sold and the number of winners in each prize category. I have seen winners win 1 million but then end up with a really cut down check size.. 

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
    Los Angeles, California
    United States
    Member #149492
    December 2, 2013
    919 Posts
    Posted: December 20, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Well explain this -->  California awards all prizes in a pari-mutuel formula, which calculates the prize amount based on the number of tickets sold and the number of winners in each prize category. I have seen winners win 1 million but then end up with a really cut down check size.. 

Not during this most recent Mega Millions jackpot run.  We don't have multipliers in California, so all we can wager is $1.00 per line.  The two California 5/5 winners won $2.6 million each instead of the $1 million the other 5/5 winners won.  The lower tier prizes were smaller than the fixed payouts though.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7295 Posts
      Posted: December 20, 2013, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

You really should do some research before talking about lottery games and probably before playing them.

California has no state income tax on lottery winnings and a parimutuel prize is exactly that. They take a percentage of all the play and divide the remainder by the number of winning tickets. A fixed percentage of the remainder goes into the 5 number match pool and if nobody wins its added to the next drawing pool.

"I have seen winners win 1 million but then end up with a really cut down check size.."

If the Cali MM prize for matching 5 + 0 is $1 million, the net will be the same as any other $1 million Cali winner, but it might be considerably larger than the net in other states where state and local taxes are applied to lottery winnings.

gnozahs's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United States
        Member #148996
        November 17, 2013
        28 Posts
        Posted: December 20, 2013, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

How do I feel?

I don't really give a crap. I don't even think a second about it. Give me a couple mil and I'm a happy camper.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: December 20, 2013, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I really don't have that much to complain about with our lottery system here other than wishing for a "looser" scratcher payout and swapping the Daily Derby with something like Arizona's 2x2, Texas's All or Nothing, or some other interesting numbers game.  Wink

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: December 20, 2013, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm not in California anymore but that Donner Pass certainly is some wicked terrain.

I hear there's nothin' good to eat up there either...

United States
              Member #128790
              June 2, 2012
              5431 Posts
              Posted: December 20, 2013, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I'll explain. Winning a "cut down check" from a million down to let's say 200,000 sucks !

But I'd be 200,000 dollars richer than I'm now. I'd be happier than a pig in shlitz if i only won 50,000. PARTY TIME!!!!!!

United States
                Member #128790
                June 2, 2012
                5431 Posts
                Posted: December 20, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

How do I feel?

I don't really give a crap. I don't even think a second about it. Give me a couple mil and I'm a happy camper.

OMG !

HA

LMAO...Green laugh

United States
                  Member #128790
                  June 2, 2012
                  5431 Posts
                  Posted: December 20, 2013, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I hear there's nothin' good to eat up there either...

Coin wrote "Donner's Pass" , not "Dinner's Pass". lol

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3854 Posts
                    Posted: December 20, 2013, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm not in California anymore but that Donner Pass certainly is some wicked terrain.

LOL

And don't try to go over cajon pass w/out tire chains in the winter.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.