Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What in your opinion would be some of the best charities to give to if and when you win a jackpot

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 3 years ago by luckyshoes.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Portland, OR
United States
Member #145973
August 20, 2013
226 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2013, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I'd give a lot of money for stem cell research, the cure for everything.  I'm a dia betic.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
    Kentucky
    United States
    Member #35086
    March 12, 2006
    10374 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2013, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

The absolute number one charity on the planet is THE SALVATION ARMY.  First of all, more of each dollar donated goes to help others and not for overhead.  Secondy, all SALVATION ARMY EMPLOYEES earn a very meager salary.  Some of the CEO's of other charities make close to a million dollars or more a year, and THE SALVATION ARMY number one person makes probably less than $50,000.  THE SALVATION ARMY is usually the first charity to arrive on any disaster, and they provide food, shelter, clothing AT NO COST.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, DO A LITTLE RESEARCH!!!

I AM NOT A DALLAS COWBOY FAN WHATSOEVER, AND HAVE LIVED IN DALLAS SINCE 1979.  AS A MATTER OF FACT, I HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN A COWBOY GAME IN EITHER OF THEIR STADIUMS.  BUT, I DO RESPECT JERRY JONES.  HE HAS A HUGE "SALVATION ARMY RED KETTLE" IN HIS STADIUM.  HE AND THE COWBOYS ARE TOTALLY BEHIND THE SALVATION ARMY, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT IS ONE CHARITY THAT HELPS EVERYONE - REGARDLESS OF RACE, CREED, OR RELIGION.

I Agree!            henny

I started to mention them in my other post

Everytime I drop something in that " Red Kettle "   I look them in the eye and tell them.......I am giving this because I trust your charity.  And  Thank   You

I like  them  mainly for all the reasons you mentioned  above. I quit giving to some other  well  known Charities  , quite  a  few  years   ago  ,  when I found out how much  the ones that run  the  charity  makes , and also when I see them drive around in  high priced  vehicles  and eat at some of the finest restaurants.

A  charity  should  be  run  as  humble   as   possible ,  and  spend  every  penny  possible  for what  it  was donated  for  ,  after  keeping the  overhead  as  low ,  and  as  humble  as   possible.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4791 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

The absolute number one charity on the planet is THE SALVATION ARMY.  First of all, more of each dollar donated goes to help others and not for overhead.  Secondy, all SALVATION ARMY EMPLOYEES earn a very meager salary.  Some of the CEO's of other charities make close to a million dollars or more a year, and THE SALVATION ARMY number one person makes probably less than $50,000.  THE SALVATION ARMY is usually the first charity to arrive on any disaster, and they provide food, shelter, clothing AT NO COST.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, DO A LITTLE RESEARCH!!!

I AM NOT A DALLAS COWBOY FAN WHATSOEVER, AND HAVE LIVED IN DALLAS SINCE 1979.  AS A MATTER OF FACT, I HAVE NEVER EVEN SEEN A COWBOY GAME IN EITHER OF THEIR STADIUMS.  BUT, I DO RESPECT JERRY JONES.  HE HAS A HUGE "SALVATION ARMY RED KETTLE" IN HIS STADIUM.  HE AND THE COWBOYS ARE TOTALLY BEHIND THE SALVATION ARMY, BECAUSE THEY KNOW THAT IS ONE CHARITY THAT HELPS EVERYONE - REGARDLESS OF RACE, CREED, OR RELIGION.

I agree 110%. That is why they are my # 1 charity.

J'aime La France.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4791 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2013, 5:11 pm - IP Logged

I donate clothes and canned goods to the local Good Samaritan, a consortium of churches who help out the needy.  I know of several families in the neighborhood I'd help before I'd donate to a natl. organization that has a huge overhead because of large salaries to the top people or spend the majority of each dollar chasing the next buck.  I'd also help w/ medical bills for people in need and tutition costs for deserving folks - kids from poor families or single parents trying for a better life for their family.  Those last two things aren't deductable, but they're not subject to gift tax, either.

I play the lottery for prob. most of the same reasons as most everyone else, but there's also something I want to do: when my grandmother was on her death bed, she told me she wanted me to create a foundation in her name.  I was taken aback by the request and asked her how I would do that;  she told me the Lord would provide the money.   I don't know from where else the money would come, so that's mainly why I play the lottery.

I just tried to respond to your PM but I think you have a block on me?  lol

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
          Texas Panhandle
          United States
          Member #136843
          December 20, 2012
          1276 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2013, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

I just tried to respond to your PM but I think you have a block on me?  lol

Good grief, I don't know why you were there on the block list, but you were.  I blocked one nasty person who p.m.'d me trying to justify his racism, and tried to block a couple more in the first week after I had joined b/c I didn't want to see their political B.S., but I thought I could block seeing their posts, then found out I couldn't with my free membership.  I don't have a clue how you got blocked, but it's fixed now...I hope.   Sorry 'bout that.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3104 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2013, 7:44 am - IP Logged

While I already give to some already mentioned, a very good one I give to is Alley Cat Allies. They help protect homeless cats, sponsor trap neuter return programs and work to change laws that kill them.  Being homeless should not be a death sentence.

BobP

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2013, 11:43 am - IP Logged

While I already give to some already mentioned, a very good one I give to is Alley Cat Allies. They help protect homeless cats, sponsor trap neuter return programs and work to change laws that kill them.  Being homeless should not be a death sentence.

BobP

Well    Said      Bob

Amen   To   That   

I  will  check  them  out

You  always   did   have   Style  ,  and   now   even   more    so    Thumbs Up

Thanks   For  The    Info

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #149492
                December 2, 2013
                919 Posts
                Posted: December 28, 2013, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm with Shelby, I'll start with charities that help children and animals, those that can't help themselves.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                  Gurnee, Illinois
                  United States
                  Member #49731
                  February 12, 2007
                  917 Posts
                  Posted: December 28, 2013, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

I would never tell what charities I support.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                    Gurnee, Illinois
                    United States
                    Member #49731
                    February 12, 2007
                    917 Posts
                    Posted: December 28, 2013, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! with your logic. That is why more good is never achieved after natural disasters like the Tsunamis that affected Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and Japan, and the Earthquake that devastated Haiti because many of those charities pay huge salaries and benefits to the founders and COO. That is a great reason I will never directly support the Susan B Kommen Breast Cancer foundation (another reason is that there is no XYZ Testicular Cancer foundation...IMHO family jewels are more important than tatas! A lady can have breasts removed and reconstructed, and no one would be able to tell the difference except any baby she might subsequently have...no breastfeeding for that tot! But a man is not the same man without the family jewels!).

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

The land of Canals
                      United States
                      Member #137589
                      January 7, 2013
                      168 Posts
                      Posted: December 30, 2013, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

HyperHelping Paws Animal Sanctuary in St. James City, Florida, ASPCA, multiple food banks, St. Jude's Hospital, the Military Support Programs through

the Cape Coral Hospital in Florida e a few on my list. I would not limit it the ones in Florida and I would research thoroughly to be sure the money does

not go to the ones that pay 85% of the donation to the CEOs.

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.” 
                       Steve Martin

Cool

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                        Connecticut
                        United States
                        Member #61623
                        May 29, 2008
                        20581 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2013, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Music schools that teach/supply underpriveledged kids how to play an instrument.Every kid should have the opportunity to have access to something of that nature and someone to nurture it.

..and of course a little to cannabis/CBD research.Most of the  common cancer agencies are complete ponzi schemes in my book.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

hit tonite's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
                          Shelbyville
                          United States
                          Member #110399
                          May 3, 2011
                          915 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2013, 5:18 am - IP Logged

I would give to local agencies and churches first, this way I could see an immediate impact, gotta watch the BIG Nationally recognized charities, most of the money received goes to administrative costs? and yes, Breast Cancer research, my Mother is a survivor!  More so for recovery costs, the biggest impact was loss of income...

"Any hit is a good hit!  get 'em, get 'em, get 'em!  I'm gonna Hit 2 nite Smash!!!"

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #79502
                            September 2, 2009
                            6395 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2013, 11:34 am - IP Logged

LoviesChildrens Charities  is my top priority !   St Judes

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley