Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Announcing Winners to the public?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Mattapan.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
Los Angeles, California
United States
Member #103813
January 5, 2011
1530 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

The average player when they go play a number doesn't think about checks and balances or outside auditors. The only thing they know is pay your money, watch the balls and hope for a win. If the jackpot is huge everyone and there mama want to know who won, myself included. As far as computer programs creating false photos, they can't create false press conferences. Besides that's way over thinking. A Happy family or a single person sitting down at a table talking about how money won't change them or that they're still going to continue working, is a good way of promoting your lottery as far as im concern.

Right. People are just thinking about the dream of a big win. The pictures and interviews of the winners further helps visualize that dream. The marketing guys want that.

Personally, I'd refuse publicity. My state allows that. It doesn't mean that somebody still can't find out who you are, but at least that shields you from the bulk of the exposure.

There's enough wannabe reality TV stars seeking 15 minutes of fame, I'm sure there's no shortage of the lottery finding willing winners for the press show.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #150273
    December 18, 2013
    495 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

The average player when they go play a number doesn't think about checks and balances or outside auditors. The only thing they know is pay your money, watch the balls and hope for a win. If the jackpot is huge everyone and there mama want to know who won, myself included. As far as computer programs creating false photos, they can't create false press conferences. Besides that's way over thinking. A Happy family or a single person sitting down at a table talking about how money won't change them or that they're still going to continue working, is a good way of promoting your lottery as far as im concern.

I think you completely missed the point of the thread and my followup comments

If people don't trust a lottery they won't play. The reason people play the lottery is because it has become a trusted establishment based on it's checks and balances and outsider audits. Displaying a winners indentity and photo does not add credibility to the lottery therefore, it should be the winners choice as to go public or stay private. There is no reasoning or grounds to force one to go public and certainly folks just wanting to know who won is not one of them.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2013, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

Candlelight777,

There's some people on this site that question the lottery being on the up and up, yet they still play.

Everyone:

RE: The OP......in one of the books about what to do when you hit the lottery the author suggests getting a Kidnap and Ransom insurance policy.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2013, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Course there are but in general most people want to know they are spending money, especially when it comes to gambling, with a reputable organization. That reputation is not based on publically displaying a winner's identity...that is what checks and balances and outside auditors are for

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #103813
          January 5, 2011
          1530 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2013, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Course there are but in general most people want to know they are spending money, especially when it comes to gambling, with a reputable organization. That reputation is not based on publically displaying a winner's identity...that is what checks and balances and outside auditors are for

There are two parts to the winner identity issue:

1. The initial publicity of winner name and likeness in the winner press conference.

2. The subsequent disclosure of the winner in a public records request.

Check my post on this issue in the recent news thread:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/269462/3378480

I believe option #3 is appropriate. You may feel differently.(what option do you like)

I do agree, the whole posing for the picture with the ginormous check is silly. It's mainly for sales/marketing.(and some public reassurance) That's why I would refuse it. And I do not agree with those states that require the picture and the press conference. But that is their choice.

But I do support the idea of access to public records, and the rights of people and the press to do investigations and research on lottery winners, far above and beyond the basic financial analysis of the lottery budget performed by the independent auditor.

boston,ma
            United States
            Member #150102
            December 15, 2013
            112 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2013, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I think you completely missed the point of the thread and my followup comments

If people don't trust a lottery they won't play. The reason people play the lottery is because it has become a trusted establishment based on it's checks and balances and outsider audits. Displaying a winners indentity and photo does not add credibility to the lottery therefore, it should be the winners choice as to go public or stay private. There is no reasoning or grounds to force one to go public and certainly folks just wanting to know who won is not one of them.

No, I understand the thread and your comments, I just have a different opinion. I think that showing the winner not only adds credibility but it shows that with a little luck anyone can win. If every state allowed people to collect anonymously I doubt the masses would like that. So i'm in the "collect publicly" camp which I would gladly do if I won.

Indiana
              United States
              Member #150273
              December 18, 2013
              495 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

There are two parts to the winner identity issue:

1. The initial publicity of winner name and likeness in the winner press conference.

2. The subsequent disclosure of the winner in a public records request.

Check my post on this issue in the recent news thread:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/269462/3378480

I believe option #3 is appropriate. You may feel differently.(what option do you like)

I do agree, the whole posing for the picture with the ginormous check is silly. It's mainly for sales/marketing.(and some public reassurance) That's why I would refuse it. And I do not agree with those states that require the picture and the press conference. But that is their choice.

But I do support the idea of access to public records, and the rights of people and the press to do investigations and research on lottery winners, far above and beyond the basic financial analysis of the lottery budget performed by the independent auditor.

I would be far more comfortable with your suggestion then the way it is now if i was given a option. But my first choice is it stays between the lottery, IRS and winner. Press gets a hold of it there goes privacy...public gets a hold of it there goes privacy plus it potentially lands in dangerous hands with ill intent. What would be better is if the lottery oversaw that release of info to the public. You have to come to the lottery office, get you pic taken and provide your ID info likewise on yourself and pay a fee to cover the cost for the lottery to do this service. There would have to be privacy guidelines on behalf of the winners, you break it or cause harm we know who you are and where to find you.

Indiana
                United States
                Member #150273
                December 18, 2013
                495 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2013, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

No, I understand the thread and your comments, I just have a different opinion. I think that showing the winner not only adds credibility but it shows that with a little luck anyone can win. If every state allowed people to collect anonymously I doubt the masses would like that. So i'm in the "collect publicly" camp which I would gladly do if I won.

I think simply providing the retailer and city in which the winning ticket was sold and won is really all that anyone needs to know. What they are doing now doesn't serve any purpose because you don't know the person anyway...it's a face and a name. The only purpose it does serve is a way for people to find them and harass them or do harm. That is just my opinion and the way i see it. Nothing wrong with seeing it differently and if your ok with it then hey, if you win, your good to go on the matter..plus rich!!!Smile

Portland, OR
                  United States
                  Member #145973
                  August 20, 2013
                  226 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2013, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't agree with the publicity, the showing of pictures and disclosing of names.  I have quite a few people in other states that no doubt would like to expire my health benefits, including a rotten to the core ex-wife.  However, that wouldn't keep me from playing the lottery.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to the river.

"Understand... people are more complicated than the masks they wear in society... everyone is playing to win, and some people will use moral justifications to advance their side"

Robert Greene

boston,ma
                    United States
                    Member #150102
                    December 15, 2013
                    112 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I think simply providing the retailer and city in which the winning ticket was sold and won is really all that anyone needs to know. What they are doing now doesn't serve any purpose because you don't know the person anyway...it's a face and a name. The only purpose it does serve is a way for people to find them and harass them or do harm. That is just my opinion and the way i see it. Nothing wrong with seeing it differently and if your ok with it then hey, if you win, your good to go on the matter..plus rich!!!Smile

lol..amen brother!