Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 5:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Announcing Winners to the public?

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Mattapan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
Indiana
United States
Member #150273
December 18, 2013
495 Posts
Posted: December 26, 2013, 12:49 pm - IP Logged
I love to play like many of you but the thought has often crossed my mind and with great concern...being forced to share my identity with the public. That is a scary thought in light of me and my families safety. I would not tell anyone except those close to me in fear of becoming a target, or my children being used as a ransom. I live in Indiana and i see peoples faces and names posted on the hoosier lottery website and sometimes on the news channels and wonder if they had a choice. I don't know the answer to this but would i be required to reveal my identity should i ever hit it big or would i be allowed to keep my identity private if i wish to do so?
    helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19964 Posts
    Posted: December 26, 2013, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Yes Nod

Let it Snow Snowman

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
      Los Angeles, California
      United States
      Member #149492
      December 2, 2013
      919 Posts
      Posted: December 26, 2013, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

There are threads here that discuss forming trusts and having your attorney claim the prize at the lottery office. 

I'm new, so I can't post links, but one thread is in the News section.  There are comments to the article about Pennsylvania's attempt to make that state an anonymous state where winners can choose to collect anonymously.  That might provide you with some information to guide you in your research, but you'll likely need to consult an attorney for a definitive answer.

I have the same concern, and after some self research, I'm still not 100% sure whether trusts will work or not in my state.

Indiana
        United States
        Member #150273
        December 18, 2013
        495 Posts
        Posted: December 26, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Thank you...i will go check out the thread.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: December 26, 2013, 1:47 pm - IP Logged
          I love to play like many of you but the thought has often crossed my mind and with great concern...being forced to share my identity with the public. That is a scary thought in light of me and my families safety. I would not tell anyone except those close to me in fear of becoming a target, or my children being used as a ransom. I live in Indiana and i see peoples faces and names posted on the hoosier lottery website and sometimes on the news channels and wonder if they had a choice. I don't know the answer to this but would i be required to reveal my identity should i ever hit it big or would i be allowed to keep my identity private if i wish to do so?

I'd recommend that you get a big ol' country boy for a bodyguard and pay him about a million dollars a year if you really wanna be safe.

Let me know if you're leanin' that way when you win. Thumbs Up

United States
            Member #149820
            December 9, 2013
            644 Posts
            Posted: December 26, 2013, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

It is a problem I'd love to have in the very near future...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and just say I dont care if the release my name or what as long as I win enough to where I can just retire and do as I please. LOL as that one song goes "Say my name say my name

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: December 26, 2013, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I'd recommend that you get a big ol' country boy for a bodyguard and pay him about a million dollars a year if you really wanna be safe.

Let me know if you're leanin' that way when you win. Thumbs Up

LOL rdgrnr I got one better, I'd be walking around with my AA-12 and an extra clip if needed

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                Los Angeles, California
                United States
                Member #103813
                January 5, 2011
                1530 Posts
                Posted: December 26, 2013, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

There are 6 states that explicitly allow anonymous lottery claims: Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, South Carolina, Kansas and North Dakota.

But a winner can also claim anonymously in many other states by claiming as a Trust or LLC.(a few states such as VA and OR disallow that though) Then the only one facing the publicity is the lawyer, and the Trust/LLC name is the published winner. A quick search for Indiana provides some examples:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/243204

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/186362

In the other states besides the 6 anonymous ones, there's an obscure hodge podge of various rules, and winner identity may often be up to the discretion of the lottery director.

As always, check with an attorney before claiming if you are worried about such things.

I'm not worried about it, I'll deal with the winnings and responsibilities that comes with it if it ever happens. Play on.

Kejana48's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Lottery Dreamer
                  Hampton Roads, Virginia
                  United States
                  Member #75493
                  June 4, 2009
                  40573 Posts
                  Posted: December 26, 2013, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I would love to have to sort through this issue one day, instead of  never winning!!!

Kejana

" Share your predictions "

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                    Los Angeles, California
                    United States
                    Member #103813
                    January 5, 2011
                    1530 Posts
                    Posted: December 26, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

There are threads here that discuss forming trusts and having your attorney claim the prize at the lottery office. 

I'm new, so I can't post links, but one thread is in the News section.  There are comments to the article about Pennsylvania's attempt to make that state an anonymous state where winners can choose to collect anonymously.  That might provide you with some information to guide you in your research, but you'll likely need to consult an attorney for a definitive answer.

I have the same concern, and after some self research, I'm still not 100% sure whether trusts will work or not in my state.

Actually, I found out that in CA they just recently changed the rules.

They used to allow Trust/LLC winner claims, and there were examples of that in the past. But earlier this year they changed the rules so that only a "natural person" may claim prizes. I checked the regulations and yep, sure enough, they quietly slipped in that change on the April 2013 revision. Very sneaky.

Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #150273
                      December 18, 2013
                      495 Posts
                      Posted: December 26, 2013, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info. Well you know what they say about money...it can be a blessing and it can be a cursing

boston,ma
                        United States
                        Member #150102
                        December 15, 2013
                        112 Posts
                        Posted: December 26, 2013, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I actually believe winners names should be published to assure complete faith in the systems. When I hear about someone claiming anonymously, I instantly question whether or not it's on the up and up especially huge jackpots. I'm sure i'm not the only one. If I won, I would publicly pick up that huge check, give the press conference and answer all questions.

If you win something like 2 or 4 million it barely raises any eyebrows so i'm sure you would be good to go. However, if you win one of those jackpots over $100 million, time to start thinking about long term physical security.

Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #150273
                          December 18, 2013
                          495 Posts
                          Posted: December 26, 2013, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

This is the way i see it..... If there were no checks and balances and outside auditors overseeing things....how much credibility then would a winners picture and identification hold? What is a person gonna do track these people down and call them? heck you can bet they changed their numbers, probably moved and certainly not accessable to the public understandably. Even if you could track them down somehow, they wouldn't talk to you because there probably are enough crazy people attempting to do just that.....soo really that in no way is an effective means for a lottery player to verify anything nor would players care to go to such lengths.

I believe people play first and foremost because of strict checks and balances in place and outside auditors...that is where people's trust is... not identifying winners and plastering their face on the lottery website. Computer programs can create false photos and bookkeeping can be tinkered with to paint a different picture as well....just saying if there were no checks and balances and outside auditors that could very well be the concern, but it's not because of measures in place to prevent it. It's those measures that carry the weight in trust anyway, not the identities and pictures of winners.
                          If the lottery thinks they are in any way validated and trusted by lottery players because they identify and post winners pictures they are seriously wrong. It means nothing nor does it add anything to their credibility. I am sure come tax return time big brother will be hunting down winners to pay their dues, so the need to reveal winners to validate the lottery in some way is absolute hogwash in my opinion...big brother always follows the money and who it goes to because somebody is accountable for getting it and paying taxes on it. The lottery promotes it purely for advertisement purpose regardless of the fact that many find it wrong and for valid reasons and concerns.
                            boston,ma
                            United States
                            Member #150102
                            December 15, 2013
                            112 Posts
                            Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

The average player when they go play a number doesn't think about checks and balances or outside auditors. The only thing they know is pay your money, watch the balls and hope for a win. If the jackpot is huge everyone and there mama want to know who won, myself included. As far as computer programs creating false photos, they can't create false press conferences. Besides that's way over thinking. A Happy family or a single person sitting down at a table talking about how money won't change them or that they're still going to continue working, is a good way of promoting your lottery as far as im concern.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                              Los Angeles, California
                              United States
                              Member #149492
                              December 2, 2013
                              919 Posts
                              Posted: December 26, 2013, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Actually, I found out that in CA they just recently changed the rules.

They used to allow Trust/LLC winner claims, and there were examples of that in the past. But earlier this year they changed the rules so that only a "natural person" may claim prizes. I checked the regulations and yep, sure enough, they quietly slipped in that change on the April 2013 revision. Very sneaky.

Thanks.  Well, that makes it easy then.  I'll just sign my darn ticket right away if I win.  Smile