Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 10:48 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$180 Mistake! What would you have done?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
Jacksonville, Florida
United States
Member #140364
March 17, 2013
195 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2014, 10:35 am - IP Logged

So I run a pool at work with signed agreements for "Florida Lotto" and "Florida Mega Money" with 10 players and "Powerball" with 20 players when PB is over $100 Million. I always buy the Lotto between Thursdays and Saturdays and I always buy the Mega Money before the first drawing of the month and I buy the Mega Money for the entire month, $180 worth of tickets. I have been going to the same convient store for about 5 months. Whenever I buy the tickets I always say "Florida Lotto" or Florida Mega Money" so there are no confusions on my part because sometimes Mega Millions wants to come out and I know if I say Florida, then I will pause for a second to think what I am about to say.

So last night about 9:45pm I bought our tickets and she printed out $180 worth of Mega Millions. At first I thought she was joking but she was not. Then I was starting to doubt myself, did I say Florida Mega Million??? No, I am almost positively sure I said Florida Mega Money. I started thinking, should I get these or should I get our Mega Money that everybody expects to play. The difference in the odds are 1:2.9 mill compared to 1:258 million. I told her to get me my Mega Money tickets because if I kept the others, somebody might say thats not acceptable, and I myself do not have $180 out of my pocket to get the tickets everybody paid for and signed for in the agreement, and I know she can't afford that either.

Here is where it gets worse. In the past she was confused with the advanced plays one time when I said, "I need 20 QP tickets, for 9 drawings, so it would be drawings from the 3rd to the 31st." So since then its kinda been a joke when I go in, I'm keeping it simple for you, 10 QP for Fl. Lotto. and last night, the other clerk said she could help me, I said, no I want her, gonna make her work tonight, and we all laughed. 

This is obviously most likely will come out of her check since Multi State games can not be canceled so I offered that I will see what everybody wants to do, chip in some money, but thats no garuntee. I told her if she can sell it to somebody else to do so. I checked for the numbers a lil while ago and there are only 19 Florida winners that won $500 on non megaplier. All other winners are lesser ammounts. I feel bad about this situation, did I do the right thing?

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2014, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Wow, hard to believe she'd print $180 worth of tickets without double checking that's what you wanted.  I've gotten games that I didn't want before, but only a $1 ticket so I just shut up and took it, and went somewhere else and bought the game I wanted.

Sad when you have to fill out a play slip to get simple QP's.  But that's probably what I'd do in the future if I were you.  You only need to fill out 1, and tell them to run it X times to get the number of plays you want.   If she wants to use they keypad instead, that's fine, she's less likely to make a mistake with the playslip for the game in her hand.  And if she does make a mistake at least she knows it was her, when the playslip and tickets don't match.

I'd always fill out a play slip for advanced plays.  Most of the clerks around here don't play lottery, and they don't have a clue what an advanced play is.  They'd say -- advanced?  Oh, you mean add the Power Play?  LOL

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #150273
      December 18, 2013
      495 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2014, 11:26 am - IP Logged

I run into problems all the time unless i go to one specific retailer. Those gals are older and know what their doing so my lotto transactions are smooth sailing.

Problem is, they do not properly train clerks. Retailers hire people and just throw them on the lotto machine. I have seen this time and time again where they are basically learning solo as they go. It's not right because lottery machines and the games can be complex for someone who doesn't play the lottery and then you throw on top of that not properly being trained to run the transactionsEek

Given the strict rules on tickets already printed, these retailers have no regard for the employee because it falls back in the employee's lap. I think it's the responsibility of the lottery to have a policy in place that requires the retailer to properly train the employee and only after certain criteria's have been met are they allowed to run the lottery machine. Certainly will save the rest of us headaches and make the employee's experience in dealing with lottery transactions smoother. Only managers should be allowed to process and clear lotto transactions that go above a set amount as well. The moment that clerk keyed that info in the machine the amount should have triggered a requirement for clearance by a manager before proceeding with printing the tickets.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19895 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2014, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

I always make out a play slip that states what I want and clerks will still ask if I want to play options I didn't mark.  I just no but some time feeling like saying "If I wanted that I would have marked it", but I guess they are just checking to make sure.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7341 Posts
          Posted: January 4, 2014, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

So I run a pool at work with signed agreements for "Florida Lotto" and "Florida Mega Money" with 10 players and "Powerball" with 20 players when PB is over $100 Million. I always buy the Lotto between Thursdays and Saturdays and I always buy the Mega Money before the first drawing of the month and I buy the Mega Money for the entire month, $180 worth of tickets. I have been going to the same convient store for about 5 months. Whenever I buy the tickets I always say "Florida Lotto" or Florida Mega Money" so there are no confusions on my part because sometimes Mega Millions wants to come out and I know if I say Florida, then I will pause for a second to think what I am about to say.

So last night about 9:45pm I bought our tickets and she printed out $180 worth of Mega Millions. At first I thought she was joking but she was not. Then I was starting to doubt myself, did I say Florida Mega Million??? No, I am almost positively sure I said Florida Mega Money. I started thinking, should I get these or should I get our Mega Money that everybody expects to play. The difference in the odds are 1:2.9 mill compared to 1:258 million. I told her to get me my Mega Money tickets because if I kept the others, somebody might say thats not acceptable, and I myself do not have $180 out of my pocket to get the tickets everybody paid for and signed for in the agreement, and I know she can't afford that either.

Here is where it gets worse. In the past she was confused with the advanced plays one time when I said, "I need 20 QP tickets, for 9 drawings, so it would be drawings from the 3rd to the 31st." So since then its kinda been a joke when I go in, I'm keeping it simple for you, 10 QP for Fl. Lotto. and last night, the other clerk said she could help me, I said, no I want her, gonna make her work tonight, and we all laughed. 

This is obviously most likely will come out of her check since Multi State games can not be canceled so I offered that I will see what everybody wants to do, chip in some money, but thats no garuntee. I told her if she can sell it to somebody else to do so. I checked for the numbers a lil while ago and there are only 19 Florida winners that won $500 on non megaplier. All other winners are lesser ammounts. I feel bad about this situation, did I do the right thing?

In some states MM tickets can't be canceled and it won't matter if you're "almost positive" of what you said. An experienced clerk would tell you to fill out a play slip and say "next". 

"In the past she was confused with the advanced plays one time when I said, "I need 20 QP tickets, for 9 drawings, so it would be drawings from the 3rd to the 31st.""

Are you trying to confuse the clerk into printing Mega Millions tickets instead of Mega Money ticktets?

"I feel bad about this situation, did I do the right thing?"

The clerk did the wrong thing by taking your call bet, but if others standing in line said they heard you ask for Mega Millions tickets, you would pay or the clerk would dial "911".

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7341 Posts
            Posted: January 4, 2014, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I always make out a play slip that states what I want and clerks will still ask if I want to play options I didn't mark.  I just no but some time feeling like saying "If I wanted that I would have marked it", but I guess they are just checking to make sure.

I gave a clerk an MM play slip that should cost $5 and the machine printed $64 worth of tickets. Because I had the play slip it was easy to determine who made the mistake and I took the same slip to another store and got $5 worth of tickets.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19895 Posts
              Posted: January 4, 2014, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

I gave a clerk an MM play slip that should cost $5 and the machine printed $64 worth of tickets. Because I had the play slip it was easy to determine who made the mistake and I took the same slip to another store and got $5 worth of tickets.

If you fill out your play slips with a marker type pen and you have other play slips under them, some times there will be bleed though that you may not notice and the terminals will read them as marks.  I've even had dirty terminals read the dirt on their screens as marks on my play slips.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Chadu82's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United States
                Member #150713
                December 29, 2013
                6 Posts
                Posted: January 4, 2014, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I think you did the right thing. I don't think you should have to play for the clerks mistake. I would've asked you twice before I printed all of them.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5142 Posts
                  Posted: January 4, 2014, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

SMK:

DON't THINK U have a ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

any Lottery Post member would won'tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt2222222222222COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!

No Pity!

schmuckatelly's avatar - half planet.jpg
                    Jacksonville, Florida
                    United States
                    Member #140364
                    March 17, 2013
                    195 Posts
                    Posted: January 4, 2014, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

In some states MM tickets can't be canceled and it won't matter if you're "almost positive" of what you said. An experienced clerk would tell you to fill out a play slip and say "next". 

"In the past she was confused with the advanced plays one time when I said, "I need 20 QP tickets, for 9 drawings, so it would be drawings from the 3rd to the 31st.""

Are you trying to confuse the clerk into printing Mega Millions tickets instead of Mega Money ticktets?

"I feel bad about this situation, did I do the right thing?"

The clerk did the wrong thing by taking your call bet, but if others standing in line said they heard you ask for Mega Millions tickets, you would pay or the clerk would dial "911".

In Florida you can not cancel Mega Millions tickets. 

The only time I have bought Mega Millions is when it was 600+ million last month. Other than that no I do not try and confuse the clerk. Like I stated, I say, "I need 20 QP for Florida Mega Money with (x amount) advance plays, so it needs to be between the dates of xx-month to xx-month. 

Oh well. I've never had problem with anybody else before. Guess I just start going to a new store.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7341 Posts
                      Posted: January 4, 2014, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

If you fill out your play slips with a marker type pen and you have other play slips under them, some times there will be bleed though that you may not notice and the terminals will read them as marks.  I've even had dirty terminals read the dirt on their screens as marks on my play slips.

The clerk at the store where I usually buy my tickets told me their machine had a glitch and was taking more than the normal amount of time to read a play slip and/or print the tickets. The lottery will send out someone to fix it, but until then the clerks will be very carefull about reentering a MM play slip.

The $5 play slip that resulted in $64 worth of tickets could be caused by several reasons and made me wonder what the process is if thousand of dollars worth of tickets were printed because of the same reasons.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7341 Posts
                        Posted: January 4, 2014, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

In Florida you can not cancel Mega Millions tickets. 

The only time I have bought Mega Millions is when it was 600+ million last month. Other than that no I do not try and confuse the clerk. Like I stated, I say, "I need 20 QP for Florida Mega Money with (x amount) advance plays, so it needs to be between the dates of xx-month to xx-month. 

Oh well. I've never had problem with anybody else before. Guess I just start going to a new store.

It's easy to confuse some clerks especially those who don't listen to you. Ask a clerk for a pick-4 number straight or boxed for a $1 multiple times and see the expression on their face. The Ohio Lottery play slips have a multiple play option and the machine prints out separate tickets and that will freaked out some of the clerks. KY doesn't have that option on its play slips so if you want the same bet multiple times, the play slip must be reentered multiple times.

Some clerks believe they can read our minds and know exactly what we want and then we're confusing them by telling them what we really wanted. And some clerks believe every lottery player is trying to confuse them so it's not just you or me.

Litebets27's avatar - power
                          Maryland
                          United States
                          Member #10465
                          January 14, 2005
                          6065 Posts
                          Posted: January 4, 2014, 5:20 pm - IP Logged

I totally agree with RJOh and I preach this all of the time to people who complain about the cashiers getting their numbers wrong.

Mark the Quick pick and carry a pile in card protector or protectors.

Then you can hand her the cards you intend to play.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: January 4, 2014, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

This happened to me 2 times last year summer. I went into the store to buy 7 ADVANCED drawings worth of PB with PP. The guy printed the tickets for one drawing Angry So I turned my left cheek like the good book advices and bought the mistake. Won $0. Then about 7 drawings later I went to another store and asked for 7 advanced play drawings and again the guy did the same mistake so I refused to take em. So now I use bet slips unless its for one drawing. To answer your question 180 Mistake! What would you have done? I would have refused to take the tickets. It's her fault so she should fix it.

That money's gone fo ever

United States
                              Member #149820
                              December 9, 2013
                              644 Posts
                              Posted: January 4, 2014, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

Exactly, especially when you are playing with pool money. Just use playslips people. Just fill out playslips