Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Even if you play the lottery for years will you win?

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 3 years ago by onlymoney.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: January 6, 2014, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I just rewatched the lottery show on TLC the other day. It was the episode where a former sherriff won 29 million dollars after taxes. He said he had been playing the lottery for about 25 years or so. Well he hung in there and finally won. I'm just wondering how many people who play for that long actually win the lottery? I've mentioned a few months ago how I've continued to cut way down on my lottery playing and it's been many many months that I've stopped buying scratch tickets and now just play the draw games.  Sometimes I think isn't it bound to happen that someone after playing for so many years will eventually win and other times I remind myself that one could play for 60 years and never win. I even tried buying more than 1 ticket for the Mass Cash game to see if that would make a difference (had bought 3 tickets and still won nothing).  Do you think if a person hangs in and continues to play but plays wisely will eventually win?

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: January 6, 2014, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Listen that woman who jus won the half of the 648 million dollar jackpot did it with one ticket! I dont know how long she has been playing, but for 1 dollar she has more than made up for past losses LOL

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
      Columbus, Ohio
      United States
      Member #128906
      June 5, 2012
      592 Posts
      Posted: January 6, 2014, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Its hard to say, some people hit right away and some it takes awhile.  On the show LCML, in the "millionaire truckers" eposide, she said she's been playing for years and the most ever won was $17... she finally ended up winning 105 million!  I've been playing for 2 years and I will continue until I hit my goals.  I bring my lunch to work and I use my "lunch money" for my MM tickets.  I have a set number of tickets I buy and stick to it.

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #149492
        December 2, 2013
        919 Posts
        Posted: January 6, 2014, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Maybe.  I took a long break from playing the lottery because I lost interest over time.  I just started playing again in November.  For the foreseeable future, I'll buy one line per draw for MM, PB, and my SuperLotto Plus.

This time around, I'm finding myself playing more Scratchers than I did in the past.  To show you how long I've been away, I don't remember any Scratchers over $1 back then.  Wink

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #150273
          December 18, 2013
          495 Posts
          Posted: January 6, 2014, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I play hoping to win, but if i don't then i had fun along the way and knew the odds. The only way to know you will never win is to not play...hope is always renewed with each play. It's part of the fun.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: January 6, 2014, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

I look at the lottery number's daily and try to decide what number's to play, here in Canada and what not to-...

Some day's a number will show up 2 day's in a row, and other week's it will not do that.. So therefore my confidence is not strong in picking the number's.

Last night a number showed up 1 night after the other and of course I didn't choose it..

Also, these numbers were on a line that I jotted down, and didn't have the nerve to play them, because they are not alway's reliable, and they also ended up in the draw last night.

So the lottery is very challenging for me..

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5123 Posts
              Posted: January 6, 2014, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

I look at the lottery number's daily and try to decide what number's to play, here in Canada and what not to-...

Some day's a number will show up 2 day's in a row, and other week's it will not do that.. So therefore my confidence is not strong in picking the number's.

Last night a number showed up 1 night after the other and of course I didn't choose it..

Also, these numbers were on a line that I jotted down, and didn't have the nerve to play them, because they are not alway's reliable, and they also ended up in the draw last night.

So the lottery is very challenging for me..

ELIZ:

We now have free health care in the USA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>but DEDUCT's may be high before we

can see a doctor<<<<<<<<<< Lottery player's know the RISK and REWARD's of the Lottery but can you

enjoy a free health care >>>>system in UR great country? Psyko is trying to git IDEA bout a Lottery type

HEALTH CARE PLAN that you can SWITCH off of IF YOU play a lottery that will give YOU>SUPER BENIFIT'$!

(1) .50 cents per ticket

(2) no restriction on your imigration status

(3) no restriction on your color  or your race

(4) if you live in USA and play HEALTH CARE for LIFE>>>>>you have unrestricted DOCTOR care*

*which means you will have less than 500 pages to read and understand >>>>>>>>>>>!!

THANK the Lottery 4 giving USA Perfect HEALTH Lovies

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
                Ontario
                Canada
                Member #137286
                December 31, 2012
                93 Posts
                Posted: January 6, 2014, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

I used to have a link to an online lottery simulator where you could use quick picks or your own numbers and simulate thousands of lottery draws. I use to run my numbers over and over. I have seen my numbers come up in a couple of hundred draws, a couple of thousand draws and even never come up after 10,000 years worth of draws. So can't say if they will ever hit or not, but I will keep trying. Smile

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5123 Posts
                  Posted: January 6, 2014, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I used to have a link to an online lottery simulator where you could use quick picks or your own numbers and simulate thousands of lottery draws. I use to run my numbers over and over. I have seen my numbers come up in a couple of hundred draws, a couple of thousand draws and even never come up after 10,000 years worth of draws. So can't say if they will ever hit or not, but I will keep trying. Smile

2T:

We>>>>>KNOW YOU have a WONDERFUL>>>>>>>>HEALTH CARE SYSTEM>>>>>>>THANK the CROWN!!!

HERE in the USA we seen to B AHEAD of MOST COUNTRIES>>>>>>>>>>>>NOW>>>HEALTH SYSTEM OF

the UNITED STATES of AMERICA is here in OUR GREAT country and we have finally caught-UP with D

"REST" of D>>>>>>>>WORLD now>>>>>>HEALTH CARE for FREE!!!!!!

Psyko was just try'g 2 sell idea 2 improve^

AMERICA and world (other) Health care^^

programs by OFFER'g (capitalist idea) not

FREE LOTTERY but, if yoy want extra $$$$

HEALTH insurance>UR Lottery $.50/tick!!!

LoviesNoelLovies

United States
                    Member #149820
                    December 9, 2013
                    644 Posts
                    Posted: January 6, 2014, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

ELIZ:

We now have free health care in the USA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>but DEDUCT's may be high before we

can see a doctor<<<<<<<<<< Lottery player's know the RISK and REWARD's of the Lottery but can you

enjoy a free health care >>>>system in UR great country? Psyko is trying to git IDEA bout a Lottery type

HEALTH CARE PLAN that you can SWITCH off of IF YOU play a lottery that will give YOU>SUPER BENIFIT'$!

(1) .50 cents per ticket

(2) no restriction on your imigration status

(3) no restriction on your color  or your race

(4) if you live in USA and play HEALTH CARE for LIFE>>>>>you have unrestricted DOCTOR care*

*which means you will have less than 500 pages to read and understand >>>>>>>>>>>!!

THANK the Lottery 4 giving USA Perfect HEALTH Lovies

We got free healthcare here in the US? What program is that?? Is it for everybody or just the old and poor??

United States
                      Member #128790
                      June 2, 2012
                      5431 Posts
                      Posted: January 6, 2014, 8:42 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea why people have such a hard time with FACTS and STATISTICS. It blows my mind.

99.9% of us won't win in our lifetime. All the wishing and hoping in the world won't change those FACTS.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
                        Columbus, Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #128906
                        June 5, 2012
                        592 Posts
                        Posted: January 6, 2014, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

I have no idea why people have such a hard time with FACTS and STATISTICS. It blows my mind.

99.9% of us won't win in our lifetime. All the wishing and hoping in the world won't change those FACTS.

While there may be some truth to that, some people play for lower tier prizes which is still a few thousand or millions depending on the game.  Every week there's many lower tier winners.

Apollo7's avatar - PHFXq6Q
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #151006
                          January 4, 2014
                          17 Posts
                          Posted: January 7, 2014, 1:13 am - IP Logged

I don't think you should expect to win any big prizes no matter how long you play, because the math shows you would need to buy millions of tickets to have a 50 : 50 chance of winning a jackpot worth millions.  However, you always have a chance to win if you buy a ticket.  Anything is possible.

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
                            Nova Scotia
                            Canada
                            Member #9934
                            December 27, 2004
                            884 Posts
                            Posted: January 7, 2014, 5:31 am - IP Logged

In Canada if we go to a doctor or the hospital; we do not have to pay out of pocket, unless it is certain procedures, I think. But it definitely come's off government taxes-....

Also I know the lottery can be tricky where you debate if it is even worth it some day's.. So if I feel strong 1 day I play it, if not I hold off till another draw..

But I wish everybody the best- and hope that those that really need the money- will=win alot of money and make their live's go more smoothly this year!Party

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: January 7, 2014, 6:27 am - IP Logged

you could play for 100 000 years  and still not win mega or power . what you are asking for, is that small chance of doing it. sure the smaller games have better odds, but they are all in th 99.999% + against you.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297