Welcome Guest
You last visited December 18, 2017, 9:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How is powerball changing?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
txwinr's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #1998
August 6, 2003
36 Posts
Posted: January 8, 2014, 8:10 am - IP Logged

I keep seeing these promos that there are only X drawings left till the change.  What are they changing now?

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    6803 Posts
    Posted: January 8, 2014, 8:22 am - IP Logged

I keep seeing these promos that there are only X drawings left till the change.  What are they changing now?

Starting with the Jan 22 draw there will be a powerplay draw also to determine if the secondary prizes are 2x,3x,4x, or 5x the regular prize, with the exception of the $2 million prize. If you pay the extra dollar for powerplay and get the first 5 numbers correct, that prize will stay at $2 million.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

txwinr's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
      Texas
      United States
      Member #1998
      August 6, 2003
      36 Posts
      Posted: January 8, 2014, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Ugh, it's already at $2 a set.  I'm not impressed with this one.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10548 Posts
        Posted: January 8, 2014, 11:44 am - IP Logged

It seems that those who run the lotteries nationwide are just coming up with ways to squeeze an extra $1 out of the players.

Since Northstar took over the Illinois lottery I don't think there's a draw game that hasn't been affected.

Here's a prime example, Lucky Dy Lotto (Pick 5, 5/39) has an option for EZ Match........another dollar gets you another set of five numbers........if your firdst set matches any of them you win $1 to $500. The catch? The odds against winning $500 are 210,000 to 1. The odds against winning the jackpot are 575,757 to 1.

The extra dollar would make a lot more sense just going on another jackpot ticket.

But those running the lotteries know that not every player is informed and to paraphrase Field of Dreams they know that for plenty of players "If you offer it they will play."

We once had a poll here about at what price ticket would you stop playung and some people said, "Never."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Endless Mountains Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #149903
          December 11, 2013
          202 Posts
          Posted: January 8, 2014, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

They should just combine MM and PB and call it the Mega Ball, smh!

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” 

~ Albert Einstein ~

237 ~ 303 ~ 542 ~ 570 ~ 0423 ~ 2371 ~ 3016 ~ 1730

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7611 Posts
            Posted: January 8, 2014, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

It seems that those who run the lotteries nationwide are just coming up with ways to squeeze an extra $1 out of the players.

Since Northstar took over the Illinois lottery I don't think there's a draw game that hasn't been affected.

Here's a prime example, Lucky Dy Lotto (Pick 5, 5/39) has an option for EZ Match........another dollar gets you another set of five numbers........if your firdst set matches any of them you win $1 to $500. The catch? The odds against winning $500 are 210,000 to 1. The odds against winning the jackpot are 575,757 to 1.

The extra dollar would make a lot more sense just going on another jackpot ticket.

But those running the lotteries know that not every player is informed and to paraphrase Field of Dreams they know that for plenty of players "If you offer it they will play."

We once had a poll here about at what price ticket would you stop playung and some people said, "Never."

"The extra dollar would make a lot more sense just going on another jackpot ticket."

The PowerPlay option doesn't apply to the jackpot and the value is for the secondary prizes. If you think you're more likely to win a jackpot than matching the bonus number don't spend the extra buck. At the least PowerPlay doubles the winnings and you can't buy two PB tickets for $3 bucks.

MM is different because you can buy an extra jackpot ticket for the cost of using their Megaplier option.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: January 8, 2014, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

"The extra dollar would make a lot more sense just going on another jackpot ticket."

The PowerPlay option doesn't apply to the jackpot and the value is for the secondary prizes. If you think you're more likely to win a jackpot than matching the bonus number don't spend the extra buck. At the least PowerPlay doubles the winnings and you can't buy two PB tickets for $3 bucks.

MM is different because you can buy an extra jackpot ticket for the cost of using their Megaplier option.

Am I reading correctly that the multiplier doesn't apply to the 5+0 $2 million prize either?  If it doesn't that's just stupid.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7611 Posts
                Posted: January 8, 2014, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

Am I reading correctly that the multiplier doesn't apply to the 5+0 $2 million prize either?  If it doesn't that's just stupid.

I read the same thing, the 5 + 0 prize will remain at $2 million. And it won't help the 4 + 1 prize much either because it's already at four times.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10548 Posts
                  Posted: January 8, 2014, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I was talking about the extra dollar going on antother Lucky Day Lotto ticket in the Illinois game.

Odds of 575,757 to 1 for the jackpot as oppossd to 210,000 to 1 for $500.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7611 Posts
                    Posted: January 8, 2014, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

I was talking about the extra dollar going on antother Lucky Day Lotto ticket in the Illinois game.

Odds of 575,757 to 1 for the jackpot as oppossd to 210,000 to 1 for $500.

It's like playing two different games using the same numbers. Does it get lots of play?

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10548 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2014, 12:25 am - IP Logged

Not that I know of, Stack47.

Most clerks say it gets very little play.

It goes like this if you play it:

Illinois Lucky Day Lotto .....EZ Match Yes

6  12  14  21  30

EZ Match

1 = $5

15 = $1

20 =  $5

31 = $100

32 = $500

So one of your numbers for the draw 6, 12, etc...would have to match one of the EZ Match numbrs printed on the ticket.

If you don't play EZ Match the ticket reads EZ Match No and no other set of numbers is given.

Lep

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7611 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2014, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

Not that I know of, Stack47.

Most clerks say it gets very little play.

It goes like this if you play it:

Illinois Lucky Day Lotto .....EZ Match Yes

6  12  14  21  30

EZ Match

1 = $5

15 = $1

20 =  $5

31 = $100

32 = $500

So one of your numbers for the draw 6, 12, etc...would have to match one of the EZ Match numbrs printed on the ticket.

If you don't play EZ Match the ticket reads EZ Match No and no other set of numbers is given.

And which of the five numbers matching $1 and $500 is probably random so you can't bet a buck to win $500 on your favorite number. Some of these add on options give us better odds or payoffs for specific matches, but have no effect on the game we're playing. It doesn't make much sense when playing for a jackpot to make other side bets that can't win the jackpot.

TooTallLuke's avatar - img 8jc7G2.jpg
                          Ontario
                          Canada
                          Member #137286
                          December 31, 2012
                          98 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2014, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

I was going down to NY State on Sunday Jan 19th to renew my tickets for the next 26 draws. I'm wondering if I won't be able to do the advance play for 26 draws since they are going to change things? Can someone check on that for me? If need be I'll wait until Jan 25/26 to go down and renew my tickets. Thanks

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            20147 Posts
                            Posted: January 9, 2014, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

And which of the five numbers matching $1 and $500 is probably random so you can't bet a buck to win $500 on your favorite number. Some of these add on options give us better odds or payoffs for specific matches, but have no effect on the game we're playing. It doesn't make much sense when playing for a jackpot to make other side bets that can't win the jackpot.

Most of those side bet games have nothing to do with the main games but you can't play them unless you're playing the main games.  Ohio has a similar game called the K-I-C-K-E-R which is an auto pick6 game that you play with Classic Lotto for an extra dollar and if you match 2 numbers or more in order starting with the first position you can win $1-$5000.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              20147 Posts
                              Posted: January 9, 2014, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

I was going down to NY State on Sunday Jan 19th to renew my tickets for the next 26 draws. I'm wondering if I won't be able to do the advance play for 26 draws since they are going to change things? Can someone check on that for me? If need be I'll wait until Jan 25/26 to go down and renew my tickets. Thanks

If no one gets that information for you, you might try checking the New York lottery website.  Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking