Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do You Think??

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 3 years ago by LottoMomma.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
Michigan
United States
Member #100025
November 4, 2010
158 Posts
Posted: January 10, 2014, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

Do you think the State Lottery commissions know who they send the big jackpot tickets too when they send out those rolls???   Think they go to stores that have the most sales or stores that are most remote and unlikely to sell alot of tickets? 

Have always wondered this and wonder if anyone has the answer?

LottoMomma

See Ya!

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2014, 1:12 am - IP Logged

Do you think the State Lottery commissions know who they send the big jackpot tickets too when they send out those rolls???   Think they go to stores that have the most sales or stores that are most remote and unlikely to sell alot of tickets? 

LottoMomma

See Ya!

oh for heaven's sake, can't we just focus on your LP name for a moment?

LOTTO MOMMA?

LP always had a dad, but no momma. Cheers

Welcome LP Momma !

BigDMike's avatar - Money 20City_zpsfnsebmis.jpg

Antarctica
      Member #134465
      October 28, 2012
      1030 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2014, 1:24 am - IP Logged

I do...

I'm sure they have some sort of tracking system... It's a business.  I'd imagine they'd go to places with high sales and frequent winners. 

Winners = Marketing = More Sales

Example MM and PB.  Higher jackpots sale more tickets.  They've made it harder to win MM, and increased ticket price for PB, which increases the overall pot faster.  Of course, that's their marketing hook now (we're not fools).  We never asked for that did we? ha

Not facts, just my twisted opinion.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2014, 1:46 am - IP Logged

well if you have1 store that turns over 10 milion a month in  scratcher sales  , and 1 store that turns over 100k a month.

im willing to bet the winning ticket turns up in the higher turn over store.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: January 11, 2014, 3:15 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

Sure they can but they aren't suppose to until a ticket need to be verified.  A few years ago Indiana had a security person take a peek and send a couple of his buddies to the store with a million dollar winner to buy the whole roll.  He didn't give them an equal share of the winnings, they talked and they all went to jail.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: January 11, 2014, 5:22 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

I assume you're talking about Scratchers.

As far as Scratchers go, we know it can be done and as RJOh mentioned, it already has been done in Indiana. We know that Lottery Officials, employees or security personnel either know or can find out where winning tickets are going and we just have to trust that they don't use that information to enrich themselves. I personally  play Scratchers very, very rarely so I don't really think about it much.

I don't believe that is being done with the big jackpot games like PB or MM though. If I did, I wouldn't play them.

As far as State Lottery Jackpot Games, it all hinges on whether you trust your State and your State Lottery Officials. I live in Tennessee so obviously I don't. I play the State Games in Virginia as hordes of Tennesseans do. I'll not play Tennessee Games again until they bring back real ball drawings and get rid of the fake computer drawings they have now.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #150273
              December 18, 2013
              495 Posts
              Posted: January 11, 2014, 5:42 am - IP Logged

I'd like to think winners are randomly printed out in random rolls and randomly distributed to retailers much like random drawings are. If lottery's are indeed controlling where winning tickets are going, then that just made swaring off scratcheres that much more easy for me.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: January 11, 2014, 6:05 am - IP Logged

I'd like to think winners are randomly printed out in random rolls and randomly distributed to retailers much like random drawings are. If lottery's are indeed controlling where winning tickets are going, then that just made swaring off scratcheres that much more easy for me.

I'm not saying that they decide where the winning tickets are going (though they may) but that they could surely find out if they wanted to and use that information surreptitiously to accommodate a caper.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #150273
                  December 18, 2013
                  495 Posts
                  Posted: January 11, 2014, 6:53 am - IP Logged

I'm not saying that they decide where the winning tickets are going (though they may) but that they could surely find out if they wanted to and use that information surreptitiously to accommodate a caper.

Just the thought that they may do that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That would unfairly put alot of retailers and locations at a disadvantage because volume and sales would then be allowed to play a factor.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                    Massachusetts
                    United States
                    Member #37433
                    April 14, 2006
                    2747 Posts
                    Posted: January 11, 2014, 8:39 am - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

Do you think the State Lottery commissions know who they send the big jackpot tickets too when they send out those rolls???

Yes they do. Scratch Tickets big winners are not randomly distributed. There's an old thread that asks if the distribution of the top prizes is random and some guy explained why it's not. When a new game that has 4 top prizes of $100,000 comes out you will observe that the 4 winners will rarely be won at the beginning of the game, or in only one region of the state. The distribution is spread out in both locality of the wins and time (life cycle of the scratch off). The distribution seems desperate and therefore not truly random. If the winners were truly randomly distributed then there would be some reported cases of two top winners in a single batch or even back to back. Or all winners being sold in one town.
                    Good topic

That money's gone fo ever

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19828 Posts
                      Posted: January 11, 2014, 11:19 am - IP Logged

Just the thought that they may do that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. That would unfairly put alot of retailers and locations at a disadvantage because volume and sales would then be allowed to play a factor.

Your definition of fair might not be the same as theirs, as long as they aren't targeting a particular person to win they may thing it's totally fair to place winning tickets any where they want to.

Twenty years ago, Ohio had a contest in which players could mail in losing tickets and get a second chance in a random drawing to win a prize.  The random drawings consisted of someone opening mail bags and picking out evelopes with the winners names.  They started to notice after a while that 50% of winners were from Cleveland and most of them worked at the local post office.   Workers in the local post office were putting their envelopes in the mail bags last so they would be the first out.  As far a the lottery was concerned taking evelopes from the top of the mail bags was fair and random.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Endless Mountains Pennsylvania
                        United States
                        Member #149903
                        December 11, 2013
                        202 Posts
                        Posted: January 11, 2014, 11:48 am - IP Logged

You decide this one.....

Pennsylvania lottery is right now sitting their booth at the Pennsylvania farm show of all places. 

Just yesterday they posted a picture on their facebook page of a guy who stopped at their booth a just happen to win $5,000 on a $1.00 scratch off. 

I think they know exactly where the tickets are going.

“Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions.” 

~ Albert Einstein ~

237 ~ 303 ~ 542 ~ 570 ~ 0423 ~ 2371 ~ 3016 ~ 1730

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
                          Los Angeles, California
                          United States
                          Member #149492
                          December 2, 2013
                          919 Posts
                          Posted: January 11, 2014, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Here's a reply I posted to our CA Scratchers thread based on an interview with a former lottery security official I read.  How many of our states's lotteries follow the described standard operating protocol, I don't know.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/250725/3401688

lucky 4moola's avatar - F2
                            Austin
                            United States
                            Member #151153
                            January 8, 2014
                            11 Posts
                            Posted: January 11, 2014, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

LottoMomma

See Ya!

I'm sure that they don't control the end destination of the rolls. If the distribution is not (as) random (as it can possible be) that would invalidate the very idea of Lottery.

lucky 4moola's avatar - F2
                              Austin
                              United States
                              Member #151153
                              January 8, 2014
                              11 Posts
                              Posted: January 11, 2014, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

she's obviously talking about scratchers and NOT about MM or PB that cannot possibly be doctored to the advantage of some certain gas station or 7-eleven ..