Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do some of you plan to spend less money playing the lottery in 2014?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Masone.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2014, 8:08 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if some of you out there plan on spending less this year playing the lottery? I'm including all lottery whether it be scratch tickets, state draw games or big draw games like PB and MM. For myself I'm trying to keep myself on the same course I started last year by spending far less but still playing to keep myself in the game. After going more than 4 months without buying a scratch ticket I bought 2 scratch tickets a few weeks ago. I lost on one of them and haven't scratched the other yet.  I realize that playing the lottery was sort of like junk food to me. I needed to take control of my life as a lottery player and just like junk food that I eat in moderation, I'm playing the lottery in moderation and feel better able to handle losing.  For me it's just nice to daydream about the what if scenario.

United States
    Member #149820
    December 9, 2013
    644 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2014, 8:17 am - IP Logged

Scratch-offs yeah but for PB and MM Im in at least 1 ticket for every draw and I always will be

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
      TX
      United States
      Member #121193
      January 4, 2012
      1637 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2014, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Probably wont play the MM as much because of the changes. The Powerball ...well....probably wont do that til it gets to 100M and heres why:

Over the last 5 years(09-13) there have been 36 jackpots won over 100 M //  31 jackpots under 100 M.

Since the $2 increase on 1/15/12: there have been more larger jackpots won(7) over $300 M as
      opposed going back through 2004 there were only 3 over 300 M(Hiles/Cotrell in 07 and Conagra group in 06 and Chaney/West in 05)
      2013: 9 jackpots won over 100 M...... 3 jackpots won under 100 M
      2012: 5 jackpots won over 100 M...... 9 jackpots won under 100 M
      * from 1/09 - 1/12 while at $1 mark 21 jackpots won over 100 M and 19 jackpots won under 100 M

(Yes I am aware of the changes in numbers and odds back in Jan 2009 where the number of white balls did increase from 55 to 59 while the number of red balls did decrease from 42 to 39 raising the odds of winning the jackpot from 1:146 million to 1:195 million)

The previous 5 years(04-08) at the $1.00 cost there have been 19 jackpots won over 100 M //  42 jackpots under 100 M.

(the above figures only represent the total numbers of jackpots won and not splits between winners)

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2014, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I plan to spend less by winning more of what I spend back.  It doesn't always work out that way but last year it did, I reduced my spending 50%* by matching 5of6 in Classic Lotto for $1500.

*Doesn't include the taxes due on the $1500

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

mrcraft's avatar - images3lp4 zps7dbb4a10.jpg
          Los Angeles, California
          United States
          Member #149492
          December 2, 2013
          919 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2014, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I just started playing the lottery in November, so from a percentage perspective, my 2014 spending will be around the same.

MM, PB, and my SuperLotto Plus, I just play one line per draw.

I play Fantasy 5 periodically, and the other draw games even less.  The Scratchers are the wildcard for me, but will likely account for 70-85% of my total lottery play.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4104 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2014, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

" Scratched one but not the other?'
            Why would you do that? My plan as you call it does include buying advance plays this year, that way lm locked into a certain amount for the duration of the ticket. In the past l would put down a certain amount for that particular night and later decide to purchase another ticket or two- not this year. Given the odds, well you know the rest...

J296133b's avatar - animal whale.jpg
              America
              United States
              Member #121867
              January 18, 2012
              2025 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2014, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I intend to play less in 2014. Lost too much in 2013 but slowly winning some back.  I only play pb, & mm when the jackpot gets big. Mostly play cash 3, play 4 and scratch offs.

Pets: 815,217,218,804,101,872,227

"I ain't broke just in between blessings"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2014, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

i plan on winning more than i spend.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2014, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if some of you out there plan on spending less this year playing the lottery? I'm including all lottery whether it be scratch tickets, state draw games or big draw games like PB and MM. For myself I'm trying to keep myself on the same course I started last year by spending far less but still playing to keep myself in the game. After going more than 4 months without buying a scratch ticket I bought 2 scratch tickets a few weeks ago. I lost on one of them and haven't scratched the other yet.  I realize that playing the lottery was sort of like junk food to me. I needed to take control of my life as a lottery player and just like junk food that I eat in moderation, I'm playing the lottery in moderation and feel better able to handle losing.  For me it's just nice to daydream about the what if scenario.

Probably about the same until I hit the jackpot and get my fleet of Lear Jets for me and my entourage and then fly over a certain spot in Kintucky to empty our toilets.

I may spend a little more after that.

One never knows.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                    u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19743 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2014, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I plan on spending more money from my Winnings maybe try MORE scratch off tickets Dance

sully16's avatar - sharan
                      Ringleader
                      Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #81740
                      October 28, 2009
                      40299 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2014, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I plan on doing just the same, I have a budget and I stick to it.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                        Member #145267
                        August 1, 2013
                        1492 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2014, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I'm spending just alittle more this year hoping to increase my chances.

MsNumberDreamer's avatar - lottery balls-cash.jpg
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #145690
                          August 11, 2013
                          258 Posts
                          Posted: January 25, 2014, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I plan on spending alot less (if at all) on scratch-offs,  pick 3 and 4, but I will still play PB.  I will play MB only when the jackpot grows.  I may or may not play cash 5.  Haven't decided yet.

To God be the glory... 

When you're winning you're being blessed by Him!

mamamary517's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            Brooklyn, NY
                            United States
                            Member #115853
                            August 29, 2011
                            71 Posts
                            Posted: January 25, 2014, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I am a gambler.  I have no control over how much I will spend in the future on gambling.  I buy a few scratches, mm, pb and Take 5.  If the temptation strikes and I have money I buy more, if I am broke I don't buy.

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                              Massachusetts
                              United States
                              Member #37433
                              April 14, 2006
                              2747 Posts
                              Posted: February 17, 2014, 11:46 am - IP Logged

I just keep mental track of how much I spend. I have not been playing MM & PB in favor of local game, Mass Cash. Still losing money but not as much.
                              I'm spending about $7 a week on Mass Cash. I used to spend about $17 a week when I played MM & PB for both draws. Good luck everybody! Thumbs Up

That money's gone fo ever