Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New and improved menu bar

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 3 years ago by qalonia.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23345 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2014, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure many of you have already noticed the new menu bar the appears at the top of every page.  I implemented the menu bar across the site at around 12:45 pm (Eastern Time) today.

I have been working on the new menu for a while, and it has become increasingly important in the last several months to get it done.  The main reason is that with so much of Lottery Post usage shifting to tablets and phones, the old menu bar was not fitting properly on those screens, and the appearance of the menu bar was becoming fuzzy and difficult to read on high-resolution mobile screens.

Here are the highlights of the new menu bar:

• The old menu was based on images, which on some screens looks fine, but on modern, high-resolution screens tends to look fuzzy and less readable.  The new menu uses a real custom font, which stays smooth and crisp, even on high resolution screens.  In fact, on high resolution screens the menus look even better.
  • On all modern web browsers (IE 10+, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.) the new menu bar has a nice color gradient that matches the Lottery Post colors much better than the old menu, which had a sort of non-matching blue color.  In old web browsers (namely, IE 9 and lower), the new menu bar has a solid blue color that matches the Lottery Post website colors.
  • The new menu bar takes up less space on the screen, which makes it better for various size screens, including phones.
  • The highlighted item on the menu bar is much more visible now.
  • The drop-down menus are a lighter blue color that better matches the Lottery Post colors, and are more readable because they have better contrast with the text color.  Also, I have reduced the amount of transparency in the menus to make them more readable.
  • The old "Private Inbox" menu item is now called "Mail".  I needed to save some space in the layout, so the old menu item was changed to an envelope symbol for about the past month, but now it has settled on "Mail".  The menu item is changed to red color when new mail has arrived.

I have tested the new menu across a variety of devices and web browsers to be sure it works everywhere.  However, it is naturally possible that I have missed a glitch someplace, so please let me know if you have any troubles with the new menu bar.  Be sure to let me know what device type you're using, the operating system (and version number), and the browser type (and version number).

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

luckyshoes's avatar - nw lady.jpg
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #79502
    September 2, 2009
    6446 Posts
    Posted: February 3, 2014, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

Simple,  yet  classy .  Yes Nod

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

LottoBux's avatar - 2elh5if
      Ontario
      Canada
      Member #109243
      April 9, 2011
      31439 Posts
      Posted: February 3, 2014, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I'm sure many of you have already noticed the new menu bar the appears at the top of every page.  I implemented the menu bar across the site at around 12:45 pm (Eastern Time) today.

I have been working on the new menu for a while, and it has become increasingly important in the last several months to get it done.  The main reason is that with so much of Lottery Post usage shifting to tablets and phones, the old menu bar was not fitting properly on those screens, and the appearance of the menu bar was becoming fuzzy and difficult to read on high-resolution mobile screens.

Here are the highlights of the new menu bar:

• The old menu was based on images, which on some screens looks fine, but on modern, high-resolution screens tends to look fuzzy and less readable.  The new menu uses a real custom font, which stays smooth and crisp, even on high resolution screens.  In fact, on high resolution screens the menus look even better.
      • On all modern web browsers (IE 10+, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.) the new menu bar has a nice color gradient that matches the Lottery Post colors much better than the old menu, which had a sort of non-matching blue color.  In old web browsers (namely, IE 9 and lower), the new menu bar has a solid blue color that matches the Lottery Post website colors.
      • The new menu bar takes up less space on the screen, which makes it better for various size screens, including phones.
      • The highlighted item on the menu bar is much more visible now.
      • The drop-down menus are a lighter blue color that better matches the Lottery Post colors, and are more readable because they have better contrast with the text color.  Also, I have reduced the amount of transparency in the menus to make them more readable.
      • The old "Private Inbox" menu item is now called "Mail".  I needed to save some space in the layout, so the old menu item was changed to an envelope symbol for about the past month, but now it has settled on "Mail".  The menu item is changed to red color when new mail has arrived.

I have tested the new menu across a variety of devices and web browsers to be sure it works everywhere.  However, it is naturally possible that I have missed a glitch someplace, so please let me know if you have any troubles with the new menu bar.  Be sure to let me know what device type you're using, the operating system (and version number), and the browser type (and version number).

Just Noticed It Todd...Looking Good Cool

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2678 Posts
        Posted: February 3, 2014, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Uplooks razor sharp 

United States
          Member #129868
          June 30, 2012
          2457 Posts
          Posted: February 3, 2014, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Great improvement, Todd.  But I am sure going to miss the little envelope for mail.

ranman17's avatar - jzy6nr
            New York
            United States
            Member #83026
            November 27, 2009
            2132 Posts
            Posted: February 3, 2014, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

I noticed it immediately.  It's cleaner, lighter and more responsive, an improvement to be sure.

Be kind, because everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

An Unruly Evil

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
              Member #14
              November 9, 2001
              31524 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2014, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Great improvement, Todd.  But I am sure going to miss the little envelope for mail.

I liked that, too.

love to nibble those micey feet.

StreetGlide's avatar - 300x300
                NC
                United States
                Member #119368
                November 21, 2011
                2818 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2014, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Looks good, works even better.......Thanks!

"Straight Shooter"

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                  Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #35086
                  March 12, 2006
                  10374 Posts
                  Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

Looks   Really   Nice   Todd 

Nice   Work   !!!!!    Hurray!

I  noticed  that  as  soon  as  I  entered   LP   today   

I  thought  something  was  wrong  with  my   computer   at   first   Smile      or   maybe  even   my   eyes     Smile

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                    Chief Bottle Washer
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #1
                    May 31, 2000
                    23345 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised to hear that some people have already grown attached to that envelope symbol.  It was only there for a few weeks!  (Really just a stop-gap until the new menus were ready.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2678 Posts
                      Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm surprised to hear that some people have already grown attached to that envelope symbol.  It was only there for a few weeks!  (Really just a stop-gap until the new menus were ready.)

Type sometimes its the widdle things that some people will notice the most

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #150273
                        December 18, 2013
                        495 Posts
                        Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I just checked it out on my iphone and my daughter's ipad tablet and wow much better!! Thumbs Up

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

United States
                          Member #149141
                          November 21, 2013
                          713 Posts
                          Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Nice new look! Thank you....

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
                            Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #35086
                            March 12, 2006
                            10374 Posts
                            Posted: February 3, 2014, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I   for  one  never   did   care   for   that   new    envelope   really

Am   glad   it    was    temporary      Smile

Igamble's avatar - spider
                              nj
                              United States
                              Member #145657
                              August 10, 2013
                              999 Posts
                              Posted: February 3, 2014, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

i like it b/c it looks more crispy due to the lines being straight...but i miss the blue colour of the words(they were matching  the other blue on the menu underneath).