Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a jackpot would your kids stay in public school or private school

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Shelby Mustang.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #149820
December 9, 2013
644 Posts
Posted: February 3, 2014, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

In light of everything going on if you won a jackpot would you keep your kids in public school or would you send them to an elite private school, or since you may have some time on your hands would you home school them. I think home school would be fun, I mean think of the field trips you could take LOL

boston,ma
    United States
    Member #150102
    December 15, 2013
    112 Posts
    Posted: February 3, 2014, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

If I could afford it, private school. It's safer.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3316 Posts
      Posted: February 3, 2014, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

although here the state helps fund private schools, and i bitch about that. i would spare no expense on my kids education , and make sure they get a decent one,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
        Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
        United States
        Member #50210
        March 1, 2007
        843 Posts
        Posted: February 3, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Private school. My son currently attends Pre-K and my daughter will attend as well when she turns 3.

I do not want my children indoctrinated with ANY political views especially at such an early age. A few years ago, a friend of mine pulled her son out of public K-5 once she got wind of his teacher making the children singing and praising President Obama. I would have been upset whether or not it was a Democrat or Republican President.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

LottoMetro's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
          Happyland
          United States
          Member #146344
          September 1, 2013
          1131 Posts
          Posted: February 3, 2014, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

In light of everything going on if you won a jackpot would you keep your kids in public school or would you send them to an elite private school, or since you may have some time on your hands would you home school them. I think home school would be fun, I mean think of the field trips you could take LOL

I went to private school and hated it. I think I would let my kids decide.

As far as being "indoctrinated" I think it was worse in private school. As far as "safety" I would say it's not that much better. One of the other private schools we played sports against, their coach raped someone. Also, the inner circle is smaller but there are still politics at play.

Human beings are the same everywhere.

If the chances of winning the jackpot are so slim, why play when the jackpot is so small? Your chances never change, but the potential payoff does.
          If a crystal ball showed you the future of the rest of your life, and in that future you will never win a jackpot, would you still play?

2017: 0% (0 tickets)
          P&L % = Total Win($)/Total Wager($) - 1

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 3, 2014, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

Home school, jackpot or no jackpot.

I'd want them educated, not indoctrinated.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: February 3, 2014, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

It all depends on the area and the particular schools. There are some great public schools and some awful private schools, so you can't always say one type is always better than the other. If you win a JP and have kids, the area schools would be a major decision in the new home and community you choose.

But certainly, people are different in different areas. Such as more gang bangers and drug dealers in Compton public school versus a private school in Beverly Hills. But you as the adult/parent would decide. You would not leave it up to a 5 year old child to choose Public or Private themselves, that's silly. That might look something like this:

Sacramento, CA
                United States
                Member #142454
                May 12, 2013
                66 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2014, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

Jill, as someone who went to a private school that would discuss politics during chapel, I would caution against the assumption that they're not teaching your kids things you don't want them to learn. Just because you're directly writing them a check instead of paying them through property taxes (and lotto!) doesn't mean they're not indoctrinating the ever-loving *snip* outta your kids.

United States
                  Member #149820
                  December 9, 2013
                  644 Posts
                  Posted: February 4, 2014, 8:23 am - IP Logged

I went to private school and hated it. I think I would let my kids decide.

As far as being "indoctrinated" I think it was worse in private school. As far as "safety" I would say it's not that much better. One of the other private schools we played sports against, their coach raped someone. Also, the inner circle is smaller but there are still politics at play.

Human beings are the same everywhere.

You know Metro you bring up an EXCELLENT point...Just because you're rich doesnt mean you wont get screwed. There are different levels of rich. you're kids could be going to school with kids who's familes are more affluent than yours, you got old money vs. new money and then there is the clout factor, families who have law enforcement and political ties. So yeah private school could be a nightmare if faced with those scenarios

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: February 4, 2014, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Home school, jackpot or no jackpot.

I'd want them educated, not indoctrinated.

I am voting for another option

School of Choice: Military School

Naughty

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                      Member #121745
                      January 16, 2012
                      4987 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2014, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I still don't  understand the comment about some children at private schools may have political ties and "clout" vs others. So what? What does that have to do with getting a good education??  Clout for what?  Doing their homework and getting good grades??? lol I went to private (Catholic) schools (probably middle of the pack financially) and I understood I was there to get good grades and into a good college. I never observed anyone treated differently based on their income level. But if you go into a situation with an inferiority complex and act like a jerk, don't complain if you are treated like one.

In any situation in life, socially or at work, etc., some people will always make more than you and some will not. We all have different contacts and clout. That is life.

J'aime La France.

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #150273
                        December 18, 2013
                        495 Posts
                        Posted: February 4, 2014, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

I went to a private catholic school and indoctrinating and politics has a far greater presence then in public schools in my opinion. Mostly because it's all about a religious stance and what and who supports their religious views in the world of politics. It's this very core that lays the foundation and groundwork that selectively determines what children are taught and conditioned with... especially regarding politics.The only thing education wise that a private school has over a public school is religious studies and discipline. In a public school they sit you in a corner, in my school you had a 800lb Nun breathing down your neck with a ruler ready to crack you across the knuckles. i enjoyed the religious aspect incorporated in the studies, but the little monsters that sat next to me in class and in mass during school hours was another story. MOST of my cool friends were the ones from public schools who weren't all uptight with their nose up in the air and ran around like a soulless pack of vicious wolves.

I wouldn't do that and send my kids to a private school no matter how much money i won in a lottery...they deserve better Thumbs Up

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

United States
                          Member #149820
                          December 9, 2013
                          644 Posts
                          Posted: February 4, 2014, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

I still don't  understand the comment about some children at private schools may have political ties and "clout" vs others. So what? What does that have to do with getting a good education??  Clout for what?  Doing their homework and getting good grades??? lol I went to private (Catholic) schools (probably middle of the pack financially) and I understood I was there to get good grades and into a good college. I never observed anyone treated differently based on their income level. But if you go into a situation with an inferiority complex and act like a jerk, don't complain if you are treated like one.

In any situation in life, socially or at work, etc., some people will always make more than you and some will not. We all have different contacts and clout. That is life.

Clout for when the kids get into trouble, the scholarship kid is much more likely to take the heat if caught for whatever infraction when he is with the senators son. Just because you never observed anyone being mistreated based on income level certainly does not mean it never happens

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4987 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2014, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Clout for when the kids get into trouble, the scholarship kid is much more likely to take the heat if caught for whatever infraction when he is with the senators son. Just because you never observed anyone being mistreated based on income level certainly does not mean it never happens

I think you have seen too many tv movies of the week. Life is not fair B2b.

J'aime La France.

United States
                              Member #149820
                              December 9, 2013
                              644 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2014, 7:54 am - IP Logged

I think you have seen too many tv movies of the week. Life is not fair B2b.

I think you're looking at the world thru rose colored glasses, and Im not a backstreet boy or what ever boy band your talking about LOL