Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won a jackpot would your kids stay in public school or private school

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Shelby Mustang.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
United States
Member #50210
March 1, 2007
843 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2014, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Not all private schools emphasize religion. Parents need to do their due diligence when selecting a school for their child. I vented numerous schools while speaking with many individuals in my community about the merits of their child's education.

Some public school systems are comparable to private/charter but they are rare. One example is Williamson County schools in TN is highly touted and I would have no issues having my children attend if we were to change our primary residence.

Many County/States give voucher credits if a parent wants to send their child to a charter school. Most charter schools far exceed the majority of public schools when it comes down to providing a quality education and are on par with some private/prep schools.

My son who turns 5 this year attends a Pre-K prep school in the Orlando, FL area and I am more than pleased with the progress I have experienced. politics and Religion is not a focal point but quality education appropriate for their age range and teaching/promoting respect is a priority.

** Some people fulfill their dreams by receiving entitlements from the Government while others wake up and work hard for it! **

Candlelight777's avatar - nw saucyelf.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #150273
    December 18, 2013
    495 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2014, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

The secret is teaching your kids at a very early age a good work ethic...and that starts with working hard in school. There are kids who grow up in the middle of the projects and go to some of the worst schools in the country and yet end up become very successful people. Education has always been and always will be a matter of "you get out of it what you put into it" and that mostly comes from a dedication of hard work and time put into studies beyond what a school provides.  One just simply has to want it and if a child with character wants it bad enough, it has been proven time and time again that even in the projects with walls falling down in the classrooms it can be achieved. There are many things a lottery can buy, but it can't buy character that comes from hard work and the will and passion to succeed. It can afford you the money though for a fancy school with a fancy name, but under the hood your just funding their fancy fixtures and marble flooring because after all, someone has to pay for it and help create the appearance that there is something special about their school. In some areas it's not the education in the public school that brings their numbers down, it's the parents who don't have the financial resources to help their child with learning issues or they simply don't care and just let the child float through school. There is a wide variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean it's indicative of the quality of education the school offers. Expensive schools have students that do not face these barriers because their parents have deep pockets, so naturally their scores in some cases will be higher because they can afford expensive tutors and such if needed.  But think about it, kids faced with the greatest disadvantages in the projects have went on to be doctors, lawyers and so on...how did they do it? how many doctors have performed surgery on me, you or others that went into med school based off of a education from the projects where the schools are so badly underfunded that the schools looks like an abandoned building? how did they do it?

Is it really the price tag of a school or the quality of "character" a child is instilled with and inspired by that determines their quality of education......hmmm.

"Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip, conflict calms down.

Like adding charcoal to embers or wood to fire, quarrelsome people kindle strife."

Proverbs 26: 20-21

Baton Rouge, LA
      United States
      Member #4602
      May 7, 2004
      699 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2014, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't have children so it isn't an issue for me, but my own school experience makes me doubt most private schools.

I went to both public school and to multiple private schools growing up and to be honest, the only difference between the public and private school kids was many of the private schools kids' parents and in high school kids themselves, had nicer homes, clothes, and cars. I saw a lot of badly behaved kids in private schools and either lax or selective discipline, i.e. someone who's parents gave huge donations to the school, are elected officials, and in one school I went to the minsters' kids, got preferential treatment over the rest of us. In some cases if the school wants to lay down the law to the kid, flunk the kid for not studying, etc., all the parent has to do is either slip them another donation or threaten to transfer the kid, aka the tuition money, to another school, and the principal will back down. I saw this in both Catholic and Christian(Baptist and Lutheran) schools.

Now there was one private school I went to that wasn't like this. It was an all boys academy that wanted to make boys into men so to speak. There were high expectation there in terms of character and academics. If a student didn't want to behave, follow the rules, etc., there were consequences and the principal had no trouble at all showing a kid the door. Sadly, this school was forced to close due to declining enrollment, even going coed didn't save it.

Private schools can be just as variable as public schools.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

United States
        Member #149820
        December 9, 2013
        644 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2014, 7:52 am - IP Logged

I don't have children so it isn't an issue for me, but my own school experience makes me doubt most private schools.

I went to both public school and to multiple private schools growing up and to be honest, the only difference between the public and private school kids was many of the private schools kids' parents and in high school kids themselves, had nicer homes, clothes, and cars. I saw a lot of badly behaved kids in private schools and either lax or selective discipline, i.e. someone who's parents gave huge donations to the school, are elected officials, and in one school I went to the minsters' kids, got preferential treatment over the rest of us. In some cases if the school wants to lay down the law to the kid, flunk the kid for not studying, etc., all the parent has to do is either slip them another donation or threaten to transfer the kid, aka the tuition money, to another school, and the principal will back down. I saw this in both Catholic and Christian(Baptist and Lutheran) schools.

Now there was one private school I went to that wasn't like this. It was an all boys academy that wanted to make boys into men so to speak. There were high expectation there in terms of character and academics. If a student didn't want to behave, follow the rules, etc., there were consequences and the principal had no trouble at all showing a kid the door. Sadly, this school was forced to close due to declining enrollment, even going coed didn't save it.

Private schools can be just as variable as public schools.

Perfect example of the "clout" I was talking about