Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scenario: You have won over $200 mil and you inundated with calls for help- do you move or stay?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4111 Posts
Posted: February 7, 2014, 9:19 am - IP Logged

You have lived in your neighborhood for years, you like the place but your suddenly fortune has made you the " go to person for any financial help ". From paying off a parking ticket,a mortgage, College education, you name it.

Do You....

A- Decide to take the heat thinking you can ride this storm out.

B- Build a High Fence around your property.

C- Change your Cellphone number.

D- Become the local Hermit. 

** Have a Great Weekend People.. l would like to come back Monday to news that someone from the Forum won either jackpot...Here's to wishing!!

* Those who say it cannot be Done, should not interrupt those who are doing it.- George Bernard Shaw

boston,ma
    United States
    Member #150102
    December 15, 2013
    112 Posts
    Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:12 am - IP Logged

You have lived in your neighborhood for years, you like the place but your suddenly fortune has made you the " go to person for any financial help ". From paying off a parking ticket,a mortgage, College education, you name it.

Do You....

** Have a Great Weekend People.. l would like to come back Monday to news that someone from the Forum won either jackpot...Here's to wishing!!

* Those who say it cannot be Done, should not interrupt those who are doing it.- George Bernard Shaw

I would think that no matter how much you like your place, you would have to move. If i won 200 mil, I would have to move because no matter how much people say it won't change them, it will. But if you're only giving these 4 choices I would definately change my number.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10356 Posts
      Posted: February 7, 2014, 11:52 am - IP Logged

The Missouri lottery used to have a section on What To Do When You Win on their FAQ page but I don't see it anymore since the site has been revamped.

Anyway, they suggested changing phone numbers, getting a P.O. Box, and blowing town for a while.

I guess that assumes your place wouldn't get trashed while you were gone or they should have added hired 24 hour security.

Of noise-gate's choices in the OP I'm with Mattapan, eventually you'd have to move, but of the choices chabnge your phone number. Everyday maybe.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Pita Maha's avatar - 940d8157 d1fb-4f70-a715-6ad04d915489.jpg
        SW Florida
        United States
        Member #145673
        August 11, 2013
        152 Posts
        Posted: February 7, 2014, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

Change the cellphone number asap, arrange security for my home, immediately leave town for at least a month where I can think and plan in peace.  I'd hope the worst of the storm would be over by then but I don't believe it would be the end of it. Not for a long time, unfortunately.

Not allowed to build high fences where we live and the thought of putting up with beggars and belligerents showing up at my door would drive me batty and make me feel unsafe.  Not interested in being a hermit either.  So I'd move.  Since I'm Australian, I'd have the option of moving there if it was the only option for avoiding being hassled but I'd miss this place.

lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
          Member #118609
          November 4, 2011
          939 Posts
          Posted: February 7, 2014, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Do You....

Per the title of the topic, MOVE and become a hermit

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
            Los Angeles, California
            United States
            Member #103813
            January 5, 2011
            1530 Posts
            Posted: February 7, 2014, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Do You....

Like most others, I choose the strangely unlisted option:

E- MOVE!

The others don't make sense:

A- waiting won't make the moochers forget that a multi-millionare lottery winner lives next door

B- a high fence destroys your view, so you wouldn't be liking your place so much then

C- superfluous. ever heard of call blocking? or not answering? and the moochers still know where you live

D- how can you enjoy your neighborhood by being a hermit and not going outside or into town?

Just move. Why win a life changing Jackpot and not try to change the state of your meager existence? If you dare to step outside of your comfort zone at home sweet home, you may find there are better homes, better neighbors and hoods in distant lands.

United States
              Member #149820
              December 9, 2013
              644 Posts
              Posted: February 7, 2014, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Do You....

Just tell them to go to HE-- and give them directions to get there...

BigDMike's avatar - Money 20City_zpsfnsebmis.jpg

Antarctica
                Member #134465
                October 28, 2012
                1040 Posts
                Posted: February 7, 2014, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably get written off at the end of the day anyway.  They'd have to EARN that money dealing with me. 

Example:  Train, run and finish 26.3 with me.  There MIGHT be some money at the finish line.  Oh, it's not coming easy that's for sure.  If they ever do get any real money from me, they'll feel so flippin guilty that they won't ask for more.  How important was I before?    Now the homeless might wake up with a picture of Benny Frankie in their pocket... That's another story though.  I've been homeless, so I have a soft heart for some of those guys/gals...sort of.

I'd have to move, I live in the city (crazy folk)...

NASHVILLE, TENN
                  United States
                  Member #33372
                  February 20, 2006
                  1044 Posts
                  Posted: February 7, 2014, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably get written off at the end of the day anyway.  They'd have to EARN that money dealing with me. 

Example:  Train, run and finish 26.3 with me.  There MIGHT be some money at the finish line.  Oh, it's not coming easy that's for sure.  If they ever do get any real money from me, they'll feel so flippin guilty that they won't ask for more.  How important was I before?    Now the homeless might wake up with a picture of Benny Frankie in their pocket... That's another story though.  I've been homeless, so I have a soft heart for some of those guys/gals...sort of.

I'd have to move, I live in the city (crazy folk)...

There's a city in Antarctica?  Who knew?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4806 Posts
                    Posted: February 8, 2014, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I like where I live although it would become one of 2-3 homes (not elaborate homes) I would have. If people are showing up at your home and property and not leaving, you can call the police and file an action. A few times of doing that will take care of most of them. You can also hire a bodyguard for the first few months and have this person "greet" anyone who comes to your door (with a taser in hand). I have no issue telling people to leave.These people are looking for easy marks, not someone who is threatening legal actions against them. Letters can be tossed and you can change your phone number and give it out to a few people (and you can have the phone listed under some business name). I'd be less concerned with these people than people who do it the indirect way and want to be your new friend and pretend they do not know you won the lottery (and then spring a request on you later for $).

J'aime La France.

United States
                      Member #149820
                      December 9, 2013
                      644 Posts
                      Posted: February 8, 2014, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I like where I live although it would become one of 2-3 homes (not elaborate homes) I would have. If people are showing up at your home and property and not leaving, you can call the police and file an action. A few times of doing that will take care of most of them. You can also hire a bodyguard for the first few months and have this person "greet" anyone who comes to your door (with a taser in hand). I have no issue telling people to leave.These people are looking for easy marks, not someone who is threatening legal actions against them. Letters can be tossed and you can change your phone number and give it out to a few people (and you can have the phone listed under some business name). I'd be less concerned with these people than people who do it the indirect way and want to be your new friend and pretend they do not know you won the lottery (and then spring a request on you later for $).

The heck with a bodyguard...As long as we have stand your ground I dont need a body guard. I'll be my own bodyguard and it wont be a taser on my side either

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4806 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2014, 8:31 am - IP Logged

By having a 3rd party answer your door, you would not be admitting that you lived there. The bodyguard would ask who the person is looking for and say "I don't know anyone with that name", even though the $ seeker would know that is a lie and would be forced to leave. This might "out" the bigger nuts who might demand to see me.  I live in a middle class and very well educated neighborhood so the people coming to the door (from somewhere else) would be limited.

A number of years ago, a neighbor's townhouse was for sale and the sign was placed to make it look like my end unit was for sale. I started getting calls at work ASAP from neighbors about people being in my yard (people assumed it was my place for sale). I called the agent and told her if the sign was not removed within the hour, my neighbors were authorized to call the police and have these people arrested for trespassing. Just before that, I came home to some crazy woman peeping in my front windows who wanted to argue with me about my home being for sale. I told her I was calling the police. The problems ended immediately. I would expect the same with a lottery win.

J'aime La France.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: February 8, 2014, 10:06 am - IP Logged

By having a 3rd party answer your door, you would not be admitting that you lived there. The bodyguard would ask who the person is looking for and say "I don't know anyone with that name", even though the $ seeker would know that is a lie and would be forced to leave. This might "out" the bigger nuts who might demand to see me.  I live in a middle class and very well educated neighborhood so the people coming to the door (from somewhere else) would be limited.

A number of years ago, a neighbor's townhouse was for sale and the sign was placed to make it look like my end unit was for sale. I started getting calls at work ASAP from neighbors about people being in my yard (people assumed it was my place for sale). I called the agent and told her if the sign was not removed within the hour, my neighbors were authorized to call the police and have these people arrested for trespassing. Just before that, I came home to some crazy woman peeping in my front windows who wanted to argue with me about my home being for sale. I told her I was calling the police. The problems ended immediately. I would expect the same with a lottery win.

I might be partial to renting a campground lot and having a P.O. Box for a mailing address. Probably have 2-3 places, each one in a different state, with that kind of wealth.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4806 Posts
                            Posted: February 8, 2014, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I might be partial to renting a campground lot and having a P.O. Box for a mailing address. Probably have 2-3 places, each one in a different state, with that kind of wealth.

I agree. I think most of the $ solicitations will be via mail so I will save those for my future book. lol

J'aime La France.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                              TX
                              United States
                              Member #121193
                              January 4, 2012
                              1637 Posts
                              Posted: February 8, 2014, 10:23 am - IP Logged

I agree. I think most of the $ solicitations will be via mail so I will save those for my future book. lol

A book ??? great idea....maybe even a show with a panel of 3 commenting each letter thats read !!!

It could be called, "Letters to the Lotto Winner"....have 3 different panelists each week and make it a comedy.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way