Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Scenario: You have won over $200 mil and you inundated with calls for help- do you move or stay?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 3 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #121745
January 16, 2012
4792 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2014, 10:24 am - IP Logged

A book ??? great idea....maybe even a show with a panel of 3 commenting each letter thats read !!!

It could be called, "Letters to the Lotto Winner"....have 3 different panelists each week and make it a comedy.

oh...good idea!

J'aime La France.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
    Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1279 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2014, 11:39 am - IP Logged

A- Decide to take the heat thinking you can ride this storm out.

Nope, won't stay in the kitchen, at least not the one I presently own.   As soon as the funds hit my account, I'll be outta here, probably before that.  I think I'll donate my little shack to the local women's shelter, so they can use it as a temporary safe house for battered women.

B- Build a High Fence around your property.

See answer to A, but I'm sure a high fence would be against zoning ordinances.  IF I win the lottery, however, the place I want does have a high fence around the property, nearly two sections.  It's there to keep in the whitetail and other kinds of deer they've stocked the place with.  I reckon it'd do a fair job of keeping people OUT, too.  If they do manage to get over/through the fence...well, I'll just tell the sheriff that I thought they were a deer, hence the arrow sticking out of their chest.

C- Change your Cellphone number.

I don't have a cell phone;  I don't get many calls on my land line as it is, just from telemarketers, political robo-calls and a bill collector every now and then. (personal communication is done via email)  One collections call I frequently get is over a disputed charge from a long distance carrier I had over 15 yrs. ago and the others are from collectors and skip tracers looking for some previous neighbors who used to use my phone number on credit applications and other stuff.  I know where they moved, so I pass along that information to whoever calls for them.

D- Become the local Hermit

I already am.  IF I win the lottery and move, I'll be a wealthy hermit wherever it is I move. I really don't like people, at least not a little over half of them in the U.S.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2014, 12:21 am - IP Logged

Like most others, I choose the strangely unlisted option:

E- MOVE!

The others don't make sense:

A- waiting won't make the moochers forget that a multi-millionare lottery winner lives next door

B- a high fence destroys your view, so you wouldn't be liking your place so much then

C- superfluous. ever heard of call blocking? or not answering? and the moochers still know where you live

D- how can you enjoy your neighborhood by being a hermit and not going outside or into town?

Just move. Why win a life changing Jackpot and not try to change the state of your meager existence? If you dare to step outside of your comfort zone at home sweet home, you may find there are better homes, better neighbors and hoods in distant lands.

I Agree! JonD-  You forgetting Ol Chap, many of my threads are strictly for fun. Big Smile

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
        Los Angeles, California
        United States
        Member #103813
        January 5, 2011
        1530 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2014, 11:04 am - IP Logged

I Agree! JonD-  You forgetting Ol Chap, many of my threads are strictly for fun. Big Smile

I was having fun, couldn't you tell? Naughty

New York,
          Panama
          Member #73078
          April 4, 2009
          3490 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2014, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

You have lived in your neighborhood for years, you like the place but your suddenly fortune has made you the " go to person for any financial help ". From paying off a parking ticket,a mortgage, College education, you name it.

Do You....

D- Become the local Hermit. 

** Have a Great Weekend People.. l would like to come back Monday to news that someone from the Forum won either jackpot...Here's to wishing!!

* Those who say it cannot be Done, should not interrupt those who are doing it.- George Bernard Shaw

Sun SmileyHi noise-gate!  D, B,A, is out of the questions; A because I am not wealthy now, and people I know come  To me for some help, if I have it, I'll give, Zero Stress to me...

So when I become a Millionaires, firstly no one will know because I will not be the one collecting it, and showing off in front of those who don't have.

The person collecting it will announce that the first thing He did when he found out he won; was book a flight to Tajikistan he always wanted to visit that country--- so he is off to his long awaited vacation.   

There wont be a need for Building A high Fence around my property.

I have my same cell number for years and I will not change it....

And for my friends at the LotteryPost I will organize a get together...and give them a hand.   And I will send TODD a check to cover my Platinum membership fee for 50Years!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

BigDMike's avatar - Money 20City_zpsfnsebmis.jpg

Antarctica
            Member #134465
            October 28, 2012
            1029 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2014, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

There's a city in Antarctica?  Who knew?

Ha!  Yep, no more family camping out in my guest room either.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
              Gurnee, Illinois
              United States
              Member #49731
              February 12, 2007
              917 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:29 am - IP Logged

You have lived in your neighborhood for years, you like the place but your suddenly fortune has made you the " go to person for any financial help ". From paying off a parking ticket,a mortgage, College education, you name it.

Do You....

** Have a Great Weekend People.. l would like to come back Monday to news that someone from the Forum won either jackpot...Here's to wishing!!

* Those who say it cannot be Done, should not interrupt those who are doing it.- George Bernard Shaw

Folks, you all have it all wrong! Just because one wins or comes into some money DOES NOT mean that anyone else is entitled to share in that money! Let me set the stage since your premise is somewhat offbase.

I win over $200 million. I would keep my cellphone number the same; I would just change the beginning of my voicemail greeting to say that any calls for solicitation should be directed to your local bank since I am not in the business of giving loans or donations. In my press conference, I would make it clear from my somewhat altered appearance that I am very adept at saying "NO" and that solicitors of any type need not waste their time bothering me. So that right there will stamp out 80 percent of the "go to person for any financial help". I do not feel a certain affinity for my neighborhood, so I would promptly pack up my belongings, renovate the house, and sell it. All the while, I would be traveling the world.

So you see, I would not have a problem with people trying to hit me up for cash assistance. It is kind of hard to hit a moving target.  So I welcome the day I win Powerball or Mega Millions. Bring it on...come on!!!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
                Member #149820
                December 9, 2013
                644 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:52 am - IP Logged

Folks, you all have it all wrong! Just because one wins or comes into some money DOES NOT mean that anyone else is entitled to share in that money! Let me set the stage since your premise is somewhat offbase.

I win over $200 million. I would keep my cellphone number the same; I would just change the beginning of my voicemail greeting to say that any calls for solicitation should be directed to your local bank since I am not in the business of giving loans or donations. In my press conference, I would make it clear from my somewhat altered appearance that I am very adept at saying "NO" and that solicitors of any type need not waste their time bothering me. So that right there will stamp out 80 percent of the "go to person for any financial help". I do not feel a certain affinity for my neighborhood, so I would promptly pack up my belongings, renovate the house, and sell it. All the while, I would be traveling the world.

So you see, I would not have a problem with people trying to hit me up for cash assistance. It is kind of hard to hit a moving target.  So I welcome the day I win Powerball or Mega Millions. Bring it on...come on!!!

LOL PA get one of those Suze Orman shirts that DENIED and when people ask for money you can point to that one word

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  699 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2014, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Do You....

A - If I won a big jackpot, I know I'd move. I've already decided if anyone asks for money, they aren't getting it, period.

B - Since I'd move, it wouldn't be necessary.

C - The problem with changing your cell number is you may end up getting a number previously held by a deadbeat, so the phone will still ring nonstop. That happened to me when I still had the landline and it took a lot of effort to get these collections agencies off our backs.

D - I'm something of that now. I don't mess with a lot of people, and am somewhat picky about whom I associate with. I find the more people you have in your life, the more complicated it becomes.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                    NY
                    United States
                    Member #121961
                    January 21, 2012
                    3157 Posts
                    Posted: February 13, 2014, 12:59 am - IP Logged

I would tell them i spent it already and carry around a can of Budweiser filled with Heineken so they think i'm back to being broke.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2014, 5:10 am - IP Logged

I would tell them i spent it already and carry around a can of Budweiser filled with Heineken so they think i'm back to being broke.

Just let the Bud sit 'til it gets old and skunky.

It'll taste just like Heinekin.